Rejected entry to Thailand because too many tourist visa

3 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Flying all around the world with no money in your pocket? Sure, you sound pretty astute. Still, at least you can go direct to Laos.

I regularly fly with no money and I have no credit cards.

I once flew from HK to Prague without a single cent on me and no credit cards.   I knew I was being met at the airport and that the people meeting me would be covering all expenses.   When I flew back to Hong Kong I did have quite a bit of cash (payment for the job I did in Prague) but I could have easily flown back with zero and had no problem when I arrived in HK.

I have flown to Londonno cash and no cards.   Taxi waiting to take me to my parents home in Somerset from Heathrow.   Taxi back to the airport when I fly back here.

I have flown into Bangkok many times in the past 8 years with only enough cash for the Taxi back to my condo. 

Although I've never been asked to show cash or funds, or an onward ticket etc I guess it won't hurt to be on the safe side.

Yes. Says 'There is a money exchange so there must be an ATM'. That isn't telling me or anybody else that there is actually an ATM. There are plenty of money exchanges everywhere but not all have ATM's. Lets deal in fact. That's more helpful when somebody is looking for an open escape route rather than a tunnel only half dug.

I see a Kasikorn ATM in the photo.

sent using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

It is so simple really to get a multiple entry visa from your own country.

At most consulates ,In the application process you must give them recent copy of bank account total. This i why you never have this this trouble with a proper visa.

I cant understand people risking refused entry by being a cheapskate and expecting to get visa exempt.

This guy just days ago got rejected with a multiple entry visa - 

What is happening is something new, there's one or two guys at Suvarnabhumi who really actively want to reject people and deport them back to home country or the country they flew in from (it varies). 

However to avoid this you can immediately show 20k baht cash, onward ticket, hotel bookings, and it is much harder for them to get away with doing what they want to do. 

17 minutes ago, littlelost said:

Can I ask, when people say about having 20000 baht in hand, does this have to be baht or is your own home currency ok, i.e. U.K. £'sss

It can be in any currency, even Laos KIP are accepted, but not so much liked. 

Are you little lost in Isaan? ( I'm kidding...)  :ph34r:

Edited by ajarngreg

8 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Cash in hand is becoming rarer, I have sufficient in banks, I thought I could show bank balance on my phone apps but what your saying that will be a no go.

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

For people who like to be tracked whatever they do, yes no cash.

I never go out without 10000 or 20000 in my wallet and/or car, and would feel ridiculous to have less.

• Like 1

Looks like they are tightening the rooles.Never have I been asked for any money on arrival.I have only been using 30 days tourist-visa now for 98 trips in 9 years.Once have I been taken aside to talk to another person at the office in suwarnabumi,and then she called my girlfriend for the last 9 years to know what I was here for.Being under 50 and not married I cant get any 1 year visas anymore.Someone here said 180 days in the country a year is what you can do? More then that and youre not a tourist.I think the officer at the desk just choose who-ever he can make a problem for. Ubonjoe have before said that what I am doing is totally okey and not against any regulations.Would be greate if someone knows what rules there is for back to back tv`s.Being out 3 weeks dont realy count as a back 2 back aparantly.

by Penefattore: "...to recover the staff in my Pattaya condo and the millions baht in my stock/market and bank accounts"

If any of this is true Penefattore, who created this problem?  Why would anyone with a condo and your financial resources still be playing the tourist visa game?  As a condo owner can't you easily get a non-immigrant visa and only have to show 400,000 baht in the bank?

Have I missed something here?

It is really the luck of the draw- if they are very busy  your chances of slippin by are greater as they simply cannot check every person in detail. If it was me- I might choose to come in at the busiest time and pay extra to go through the priority lane.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

Looks like they are tightening the rooles.Never have I been asked for any money on arrival.I have only been using 30 days tourist-visa now for 98 trips in 9 years.Once have I been taken aside to talk to another person at the office in suwarnabumi,and then she called my girlfriend for the last 9 years to know what I was here for.Being under 50 and not married I cant get any 1 year visas anymore.Someone here said 180 days in the country a year is what you can do? More then that and youre not a tourist.I think the officer at the desk just choose who-ever he can make a problem for. Ubonjoe have before said that what I am doing is totally okey and not against any regulations.Would be greate if someone knows what rules there is for back to back tv`s.Being out 3 weeks dont realy count as a back 2 back aparantly.

180 days on visa exemptions, apparently. With tv's you can get away with being here 9 months a year no problems. 

This only really affects people who try to stay here as close to 365 days a year on exempts / tv's as they can, and when they leave the country they're only gone for a couple days then fly right back in. AND don't have the 20k cash on hand. AND get unlucky.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

If any of this is true Penefattore, who created this problem?  Why would anyone with a condo and your financial resources still be playing the tourist visa game?  As a condo owner can't you easily get a non-immigrant visa and only have to show 400,000 baht in the bank?

Have I missed something here?

No way....maybe some kind of Investment visa with 10,000,0000......

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It is really the luck of the draw- if they are very busy  your chances of slippin by are greater as they simply cannot check every person in detail. If it was me- I might choose to come in at the busiest time and pay extra to go through the priority lane.

Yeah I was thinking of starting to use the fast lane too. Lot cheaper than spewing off 500k for the Elite card, and I still get to feel special and privileged.

1 hour ago, abab said:

For people who like to be tracked whatever they do, yes no cash.

I never go out without 10000 or 20000 in my wallet and/or car, and would feel ridiculous to have less.

You must have a huge wallet if it can take 20,000 THB.   

I hate big wallets personally so I carry a card case which is fine for my BTS card, MRT card and ATM card.  

I take out cash from an ATM only if I need to pay for something.

June 2016 I was rejected by a young officer at Suvarnabhum and sent back to my home country on my own expenses (forced to change the date of my return ticket) although I was asked cash and showed the officer 4500 Euros + 700 Usd. After I've been held there for more than an hour and transefered to another office downstairs I asked what's going on and got replied "you don't have sufficient funds to stay in the kingdom". I showed him again all the money I had on me but he replied " Sorry! The other officer filled and signed the form already. It's too late now" And I was sent back to home country for not having enough cash but had indeed near 200.000 baht cash on me. As I came back again about a month later, not been asked one single question at another airport..

Sent from my PULP using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The requirement for cash in hand has been reported many times. They can also ask for proof of other income from outside the country to prove you are not working here illegally.

Even with a tourist visa for entry the may ask to see the equivalent of 20k baht in cash.

Indeed, this has been stated over and over ad nauseam, just carry some cash! Is really that unusual to stick a few hundred dollars in your pocket if you are going for a supposed holiday? Who would even venture out on a holiday with less than 500 USD in their pockets just to cover food taxis and hotels?

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with being turned away at the fast track lane?

Do they have one at DMK?   

50 minutes ago, seancbk said:

You must have a huge wallet if it can take 20,000 THB.   

I hate big wallets personally so I carry a card case which is fine for my BTS card, MRT card and ATM card.  

I take out cash from an ATM only if I need to pay for something.

I always care cash... the problem is I carry cash in an assortment of currencies as I go around the globe a lot.  To stash 20k THB in there as well would necessitate another wallet :P  Plus, everywhere I go there is an ATM (so the cash is enough cash to get me to the taxi/hotel/food/etc until I hit up an ATM to withdrawl cash).

Yes, it can be 20k in any currency.... Shall we now sit down and do the maths with the IO Officer:

CHF, THB, USD, EUR, GBP, MYR, SGD, HKD, CDN, yup, I'm sure it all adds up to... something.. :P

The 20k THB is an odd thing (in the real world) to need as cash.  The real irony is, I can only think of illegal things that would *need* you to carry around 20k in cash :)  (That's kind of like carrying 2-3 grand on you in the US).  Note: This is because you can pay by credit card/debit card anywhere that you need big ticket item.

It realistically makes no sense, but they presume everyone is lying/evil/bad that they won't believe you if you show them a bank statement/etc.

Unfortunately this is the reality of Thailand right now.  You may not like it, but you have to accept it:

As a foreigner, the IO officers will immediately presume you are guilty/bad/evil and are coming here to do bad things.  And the burden is upon you to prove otherwise.

A VISA in your passport proves otherwise (it was someone elses job to screen you).  Of course now the embassy you apply at will presume you are only going to Thailand to do evil things, and you have to prove to them you are not evil.

They don't really want foreigners here... they want your money, yes, but not you :)

They are okey with someone coming once every couple of years, ideally spending their money in a few days, then getting out.

Any hint, suggestion, or scent that you may be here for more than a month a year makes them immediately think you are up to no good.   The only way around this is to take advantage of the good old thai system of ... umm... donation :)

I suspect that Penang/Laos is okey giving out visas so much because they enjoy how much money they make out of it.  Other countries probably don't see it profitable enough to be worth the effort.

Fortunately, Thailand Elite exists as the ..umm.. ultimate way to 'donate', and they will ensure that you don't have to deal with this silliness anymore.

Just think of it as paying them Insurance for 'Protection'  :)

Paradoxically, the people coming with Thailand Elite, they're not devil anymore, they're not getting questionned about funds cash, ownards tickets, what are you doing in Thailand.. and I am pretty sure many (not all) people working illegally in Thailand, they certainly using the Thailand Elite program and being peace of mind

I am not blaming anything, if I win a Euromillions I will certainly take the Thailand Elite program..

and also to look so good, it may think we're a foreigner who is coming to Thailand to pick-up Thai girls & make the IO quite bored to see how many farangs come to Thailand just for the girls, and wanna get some revange

It be nice to know if the IO who are deniyng entry are most man or woman IO doing theses.. denied entries

Edited by Danielsiam
  • Like 1

Unlike many others in this thread, I have a lot of sympathy for the OP.

People spending a lot of time traveling the world will usually only do basic checking of the requirements for entry, and will not spend time continually checking changes to immigration rules. It is different for digital nomads who spend the bulk of their time in a single country, and should ensure they know all the details. The OP does not seem to fit in that category.

I am not particularly wealthy, but I am socially mobile, and I have an insight into the mindset of the wealthy. In most circles that the genuinely wealthy move in, the use of cash at all (except for tipping) is considered highly eccentric. In many 5-star hotels, you cannot register without a credit card. Attempts to pay a cash deposit of any amount will be rejected: they are simply not set up to handle cash. It would not occur to some of the people I know that they need to have cash on arrival to prove they have almost enough money to pay for their first night's hotel bill. Generally, they are probably using immigration fast track, where no doubt more rational rules are applied, but that does not change the fact that requiring cash as proof of financial solvency is simply ridiculous.

A lot of people have written to get a proper visa if tourist visas aren't working out. If you aren't 50 and not married, aren't about to get a work permit and can't get Thailand Elite, then what is the proper visa? I have never seen so many posts of people being refused entry as there has been in the last week or so. Something is very weird now

As I said earlier on this thread mate I never spend more than 2weeks here but come generally 6/7 times per year. Last April I was told as I came to the Immigration desk that I was here too much to be a tourist and if I did not have a tourist visa next time I would be refused entry. I see him enter something on the PC.

Always less than 30 days per trip and less than 180 in total but i wasn't gonna argue with him so i got one and have been trouble free since.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, Essecola said:

A lot of people have written to get a proper visa if tourist visas aren't working out. If you aren't 50 and not married, aren't about to get a work permit and can't get Thailand Elite, then what is the proper visa? I have never seen so many posts of people being refused entry as there has been in the last week or so. Something is very weird now

This is when you fall into the bucket of no-applicable-visa-for-you.  In other words: Go away.

A country is not obligated to ensure there is a visa or visa route for you to come to their country.  Be it for 1 day a year or all year long.  In this case, Thailand is mostly interested in people who only come for 30 days (or maybe 90/180 depending who you ask) unless you pay a nice donation or somehow spend millions of baht.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

As I said earlier on this thread mate I never spend more than 2weeks here but come generally 6/7 times per year. Last April I was told as I came to the Immigration desk that I was here too much to be a tourist and if I did not have a tourist visa next time I would be refused entry. I see him enter something on the PC.

Always less than 30 days per trip and less than 180 in total but i wasn't gonna argue with him so i got one and have been trouble free since.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This could be annoying to people who work in Singapore or Hong Kong and want to come to Thailand for the long weekends several times a year + vacation time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Essecola said:

I did put this up nearly 3 weeks ago from the front page of the Pattaya Today newspaper but the idea was rejected because it couldn't be proven who had made this announcement. I did say at the time that why would you expect a public announcement when it states passports will be scrutinised for Tourist visas for people suspected of living here? Although it states it will start in August, maybe its started early. I have no idea. What is being reported certainly don't just appear to be visa exempt issues being denied entry. The detail is in the second paragraph of the second attachment. Make of it what you will.

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

4 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I did put this up nearly 3 weeks ago from the front page of the Pattaya Today newspaper but the idea was rejected because it couldn't be proven who had made this announcement. I did say at the time that why would you expect a public announcement when it states passports will be scrutinised for Tourist visas for people suspected of living here? Although it states it will start in August, maybe its started early. I have no idea. What is being reported certainly don't just appear to be visa exempt issues being denied entry. The detail is in the second paragraph of the second attachment. Make of it what you will.

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

It is ok. Jaybird has expained above that it means go away. Haha. Will cherish that reply.