AIS Fiber and Playbox Review Comments

shady86

Getting close to 30Mb to London on Nperf.com (a multithread tester) with a 30Mb plan is quite believable because the international speeds a person get is "not" linear to a person's speed plan. 

Like say you switched to a 60Mb plan you may or may not get 60Mb to London....it may turn out to be say 40M.  Switch to a 100Mb plan and the speed to London might be around 75Mb.   Like I just ran the test to London on my AIS 200Mb plan and 120Mb. 

From my personal experience with True and AIS and review of the many, many speed test results posted on ThaiVisa, I've found a person's international to domestic speed ratio/percentage is usually better on lower speed plans than higher speed plans.   For example say a person was on a 50Mb plan and got 40Mb international speed to international location X; after upgrading to a 100Mb plan the international speed to location X is 60Mb instead of a 80Mb speed if a linear international speed increase had occurred.

Regarding getting less than 30Mb speed to a Nperf.com Bangkok server be sure to try different servers.   I've found the CAT server on speedtest.net and Nperf.com very consistent in results...generally providing higher results....and the AIS server less consistent just for example.  Your results may (will) vary as a person's location seems to make a difference..and of course their individual configurations.

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Getting close to 30Mb to London on Nperf.com (a multithread tester) with a 30Mb plan is quite believable because the international speeds a person get is "not" linear to a person's speed plan. 

Like say you switched to a 60Mb plan you may or may not get 60Mb to London....it may turn out to be say 40M.  Switch to a 100Mb plan and the speed to London might be around 75Mb.   Like I just ran the test to London on my AIS 200Mb plan and 120Mb. 

From my personal experience with True and AIS and review of the many, many speed test results posted on ThaiVisa, I've found a person's international to domestic speed ratio/percentage is usually better on lower speed plans than higher speed plans.   For example say a person was on a 50Mb plan and got 40Mb international speed to international location X; after upgrading to a 100Mb plan the international speed to location X is 60Mb instead of a 80Mb speed if a linear international speed increase had occurred.

Regarding getting less than 30Mb speed to a Nperf.com Bangkok server be sure to try different servers.   I've found the CAT server on speedtest.net and Nperf.com very consistent in results...generally providing higher results....and the AIS server less consistent just for example.  Your results may (will) vary as a person's location seems to make a difference..and of course their individual configurations.

I still remember the day I went from a 56 kbps dial-up connection to 512 ADSL and thought that was some serious broad band. Now my 30/5 Mbps fiber optic connection is referred to as "lower speed plan". 

The Internet super highway sure have expanded over the years.

I've got Fiber since two years and am on 50/10, but it's actually faster. ( looks more like 20 upload) 

Never had a problem with it. 

PING
10ms
 DOWNLOAD
57.59Mbps

UPLOAD
23.51Mbps

Result ID

Edited by jenny2017

59 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I've got Fiber since two years and am on 50/10, but it's actually faster. ( looks more like 20 upload) 

Never had a problem with it. 

PING
10ms
 DOWNLOAD
57.59Mbps

UPLOAD
23.51Mbps

Result ID

Expect AIS automatically moved/upgraded you to their 50/20 plan.   They don't even advertise a 50/10 plan now.   The only plan they advertise now with a 10Mb upload speed is their Power4 30/10 plan.   All other plans have upload speeds of 20Mb or more.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I still remember the day I went from a 56 kbps dial-up connection to 512 ADSL and thought that was some serious broad band. Now my 30/5 Mbps fiber optic connection is referred to as "lower speed plan". 

The Internet super highway sure have expanded over the years.

Brings back memories for me also.  When getting to Thailand 10 years ago my only choice of internet in my moobaan was a TOT ADSL 2Mb plan...and when TOT upgraded their ADSL equipment it went to an awesome 4Mb.   The in mid 2011 I think that was when True DOCSIS (cable) arrived my moobaan....I now had some ISP choice....I signed up for their 20/2 plan....I was now in hi-speed heaven...True had plans all the way up to 100Mb but those plans were much, much too pricey for the common man.   Stay with True DOCSIS for around 5 years....very, very reliable, but international speed was not that great but still a ton better than reverting back to TOT ADSL with their crappy copper lines in the moobaan.

Then 3BB and AIS started installing fiber optics over wide parts of the country....TOT and True now had some serious internet competition.  Plans speeds went up while price went down---now that is truly awesome. 

I switched from True DOCSIS  to AIS Fibre in mid 2016 when they came to my moobaan...started with an AIS 50Mb plan...then AIS offered a 100Mb plan I switched to...then came their 200Mb that I switched to in mid 2017.  And each new plan was a good deal price-wise as the competition between Thai ISPs with their fiber plans was providing some good deals at high speeds. 

I could go even higher in speed right now if wanted to.   I could call AIS today and upgrade to their 300Mb plan by day which downshifts to 100Mb at night (not really interested in a yoyo speed plan like that)...or call up True to get their 300Mb day & night plan....and both of these AIS and True plans are quite affordable....where just a few years ago any plan higher than 100Mb was really, really pricey....really too costly for the common man.     

Now although I could get a 300Mb plan today I really have no urge to do so.  Not because it wouldn't be nice to have, but because I really couldn't fully utilize that speed within my home due to Wifi and/or ethernet  limitations (specifications-wise) of some of my computers/tablets/smartphones/Android box/devices/etc.   Plus most of my connections within my two-story house are via Wifi so a person also runs into the Wifi speed problems of obstacles/walls/distance/interference from the neighbor/etc.    Add-in the fact I don't expect my international speed would increase much (if any)...plus I'm getting all the international speed I need right now.  And for folks in many buildings/condos, they could be limited to around 75Mb plans since their condo may have to use VDSL copper lines within the building to connect to the fiber line coming into their condo.

Does this mean I will never get a plan above 200Mb?  No.  It just means right now it would have to be a plan that didn't cost me one baht more than my current 200Mb plan since I know I would not derive much of any benefit from a speed plan faster than 200Mb.   I think many people are in the same situation and bet that's why Thai ISPs don't seem to be putting much emphasis on plans faster than 200Mb....it pretty much 200Mb and below plans.

Edited by Pib

• 3 weeks later...
My playbox just got a software upgrade yesterday to Android 7.1.2 and ais play launcher. No more Google play and custom apps. Hated it. Anyone else getting same thing?
Yes...see the thread titled No more third party apps on AIS Playboxes.

My two boxes upgraded (neutered) around last Saturday. Have had nothing but problems since..Like this morning...AIS Play TV channels not streaming....tech support says try again after 11am.

Now that I'm back home as of 10:50am AIS Play TV channels are working again on both upgraded (neutered) Playboxes.   So, either they fixed my particular problem due to my problem report call-in this morning (have had to call-in many times over the last week after the upgrade) or this morning AIS had a technical problem affecting many customers with an estimated fixed time of by 11am.

3 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

AIS are no longer offering the Braodband Plus pacakhes where they bundled tv with fiber. If you want tv you need to go with Power4 packages.

I'm sure you can still add on the Playbox if you first decide to start off with an internet package only such as their current HomebroadBand or PowerBoost packages.   But yea, the Broadband Plus package is now gone.

It's just you get a better deal (lower price) by going with the "combo" type Power4 package.....kinda like buying a combo meal at McDonald's versus buying the burger, fries, and drink separately.

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Now that I'm back home as of 10:50am AIS Play TV channels are working again on both upgraded (neutered) Playboxes.   So, either they fixed my particular problem due to my problem report call-in this morning (have had to call-in many times over the last week after the upgrade) or this morning AIS had a technical problem affecting many customers with an estimated fixed time of by 11am.

And at around 2pm today many of the channels stopped working again...or took 15 or more seconds to start playing...or some channels just would not play period.  Called AIS again for about the 10 time since last Saturday.  They said the problem was affecting many...not just me.  I then let my Thai wife bend their ear for while which she has done a couple of times this week.   Around 7:30pm all the channels started playing again on both boxes...and would start playing within 1 second....working normally again.  But Lord knows a few hours from now or tomorrow how they will be operating. 

Since both of my boxes got neutered last Saturday there have been several long periods where the AIS Play TV service wasn't working very well....or flat out mostly not working....that is, most channels not playing.  Before the upgrade no problems....rarely had problems with the TV channels playing.   

• Like 1

And at around 2pm today many of the channels stopped working again...or took 15 or more seconds to start playing...or some channels just would not play period.  Called AIS again for about the 10 time since last Saturday.  They said the problem was affecting many...not just me.  I then let my Thai wife bend their ear for while which she has done a couple of times this week.   Around 7:30pm all the channels started playing again on both boxes...and would start playing within 1 second....working normally again.  But Lord knows a few hours from now or tomorrow how they will be operating. 

Since both of my boxes got neutered last Saturday there have been several long periods where the AIS Play TV service wasn't working very well....or flat out mostly not working....that is, most channels not playing.  Before the upgrade no problems....rarely had problems with the TV channels playing.   

Mine not zapped yet. If this becomes an unresolved problem I'll be binning it. Sounds like a poorly handled update. On my as yet unzapped box the channels have been fine. So it does sound like an update caused problem.

Sent using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Pib said:

How can tell if your AIS box have been been upgraded (neutered) yet?

I just use my box for watching TV once in a while. Never tried to install anything else on it. 

Oh you will know when it gets neutered. Upon startup instead of the launcher displaying a lot of large block icons where you select whether you want to watch TV, HooQ of just a variety of other choices you instead launch into the AIS Play with no other choices. And now your channels selecter is on the left side versus the bottom. You will know.

13 hours ago, SooKee said:

Mine not zapped yet. If this becomes an unresolved problem I'll be binning it. Sounds like a poorly handled update. On my as yet unzapped box the channels have been fine. So it does sound like an update caused problem.

Been a lot of problems since my two new Playboxes got neutered...which was on 11 May/a Friday upon review versus 12 May/Sat like I mentioned earlier in this thread and another related thread.  Both boxes updated on the same day....one around mid day when I turned in on to mess around it....and the other late at night while watching it.   

Since then I had a lot of  problems with both boxes....one box couldn't log into HooQ which is free on my current AIS contract...called AIS...took them 2 or 3 days to get that fixed on their end somehow.  And both boxes would go through long periods of not being able to play many TV channels...or play very few channels...or flat-out not playing any. 

But my AIS Fibre connection is fine....all computers, smartphones/tablets, VOIP adapter, etc., have a fast and reliable internet connection...youtube videos stream fine on my various devices.....it's just the AIS Play TV channels streaming is not working worth a durn on the neutered Playboxes at different times.   Then other times both Playboxes are working great...each and every channel plays and begins playing virtually immediately...or at least within one second.    

And where un-neutered boxes offered two channel selection icons for dual language  channels the neutered boxes only offer one icon for each channel.  If that channel is dual language (e.g., Thai and English) it suppose to pick what audio you have set for your "Preferred Audio Language" in the box's core audio settings but for several dual language channels it does not work....it will play Thai audio vs English. 

To get the English audio to play you must open another "audio" setting in the channel bar area, it shows its set to English already since you have already set you Preferred Audio Language to English, but you must change to Thai audio and then change back to English audio to like kick-start it to play the English language sound track.  But it only remembers that while you are still on that channel...switch from that channel and come back to it and you have to repeat above kick-start process.  Summary: the preferred audio setting does not work properly or all dual language channels....works for some....doesn't for others.

Yesterday/Saturday was not a good day as most channels were not playing in the morning...or those channels that would play would pause/freeze maybe for 10 second periods before streaming again.  By around 3pm channels were working again...then at around 5pm they started messing-up again....but around 8pm they are working again.

Yeap, I have lost track of the number of times both the wife and I called AIS Fibre support since 11 May, but it right around 10 calls.

Today both boxes have been working fine so far....they worked when checking both around 7am this morning....we then left the house until around 1:30pm...got back home....turn the boxes on....and both are still working fine/streaming OK.  But based on the their track record since the neutering both boxes (or just one) stop streaming properly at any time, but my internet connection would still be fine/lightning fast.    Streaming good or not streaming good has been totally intermittent since the upgrade.  Before the upgrade I never had this problem.

I don't think the problem is so much with the "Playboxes" like a corrupted firmware upgrade, but AIS Play servers not  being able to correctly interface with the upgraded boxes but still work fine with the un-neutered boxes. That is, the problem is on the AIS servers end.   But regardless,  both boxes haven't reliability streamed AIS TV channels since the neutering....been an off and on affair. 

Hopefully AIS gets it fixed....tied of the TV channels not streaming and calling AIS once or twice a day to hear their sad story of how they are working the problem.   

Edited by Pib
  • Sad 1

That language selection issue sounds a REAL PITFA, that alone would likely be enough for me to say screw it if they can't get it sorted out.  Truly sounds like this update has been a piss poorly handled venture from the start and I've zero interest in being stuck with a crapped out service that I'm paying for only to listen to AIS saying how they are working on the problem.  They should have properly and robustly tested the update before rolling it out, not use customers as beta testers.  Can't say I'm surprised though!  In fact, I think I'd be more amazed if they could roll it out without f#####g it up!

Yea, I haven't been impressed with this upgrade when only considering "Did all the TV/movie streaming functions work properly after the neutering?   The answer was No at least in my case.  Hopefully others have better luck.  

After using the new AIS Play app/launcher for a week now, I do like it better than the old launcher purely from the standpoint of selecting TV channels and movies.....but I don't like the glitches like the preferred audio not properly working on all dual language channels...and the "all-channels streaming" up-time/reliability based on my experience since the neutering about a week ago.   That dual language audio glitch is probably fixable on the AIS servers end in some coding they add to the stream....but I'm guessing.

Now of course I don't like the fact a person can't load 3d party apps anymore like Youtube, Kodi, etc. But for whatever reason(s) AIS has made business decision to turn their Playbox into only a cable TV box.  Can only guess as to the reason(s).   Maybe too many people calling tech support when the 3d party app was causing the problem...maybe they felt allowing the install of other streaming apps like Youtube, Kodi, Mobdro, Netflix, etc., was hurting sales of their premium TV/movie add-on packages....maybe a government influence....maybe other TV carriers complaining to the govt....maybe buying future boxes they can save money by buying less capable ones since they don't have to run a variety of apps....who knows.   

I also have a Shield and Mibox3 Android TV boxes to negate that 3rd party app impact, but it was nice not having to switch back and forth between two boxes because I'm a real "channel surfer" in terms of jumping between channels, movies, news, youtube, etc.  Nice to be able to do all that jumping around with one box.  Made it easier for the family also. Oh well, memories, memories. 

Today, the Playbox streaming has been working fine on the downstairs box as it been running most of the day.  I have checked the upstairs box in the master bedroom a few times very briefly and its been fine also. But its primarily usage is late night and early morning use while in bed....it will get a couple hours of use later tonight when going to bed...hopefully its working as good as the downstairs one has today.   See how the coming week goes....I'm sure tired of calling AIS support regarding the TV/movie streaming problems after the neutering....yeap, more testing should have been done.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, I haven't been impressed with this upgrade when only considering "Did all the TV/movie streaming functions work properly after the neutering?   The answer was No at least in my case.  Hopefully others have better luck.  

After using the new AIS Play app/launcher for a week now, I do like it better than the old launcher purely from the standpoint of selecting TV channels and movies.....but I don't like the glitches like the preferred audio not properly working on all dual language channels...and the "all-channels streaming" up-time/reliability based on my experience since the neutering about a week ago.   That dual language audio glitch is probably fixable on the AIS servers end in some coding they add to the stream....but I'm guessing.

Now of course I don't like the fact a person can't load 3d party apps anymore like Youtube, Kodi, etc. But for whatever reason(s) AIS has made business decision to turn their Playbox into only a cable TV box.  Can only guess as to the reason(s).   Maybe too many people calling tech support when the 3d party app was causing the problem...maybe they felt allowing the install of other streaming apps like Youtube, Kodi, Mobdro, Netflix, etc., was hurting sales of their premium TV/movie add-on packages....maybe a government influence....maybe other TV carriers complaining to the govt....maybe buying future boxes they can save money by buying less capable ones since they don't have to run a variety of apps....who knows.   

I also have a Shield and Mibox3 Android TV boxes to negate that 3rd party app impact, but it was nice not having to switch back and forth between two boxes because I'm a real "channel surfer" in terms of jumping between channels, movies, news, youtube, etc.  Nice to be able to do all that jumping around with one box.  Made it easier for the family also. Oh well, memories, memories. 

Today, the Playbox streaming has been working fine on the downstairs box as it been running most of the day.  I have checked the upstairs box in the master bedroom a few times very briefly and its been fine also. But its primarily usage is late night and early morning use while in bed....it will get a couple hours of use later tonight when going to bed...hopefully its working as good as the downstairs one has today.   See how the coming week goes....I'm sure tired of calling AIS support regarding the TV/movie streaming problems after the neutering....yeap, more testing should have been done.

When they installed my Fiber, I didn't want the box because there's so much negative publicity about it. So now I'm paying 749 baht/month without the box.

Should I contact them and ask for the box? Can you give me some advice on that, please? 

Yeah, I had the Shield before I dug out (then eventually upgraded) the Playbox so it's only ever been just for Playbox channels.  I could never see a reason to use the PB over the Shield for any other apps given it's an inferior device.  So the neutering won't be a problem for me, provided it doesn't become a PITA for what little I DO use it for!

14 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

When they installed my Fiber, I didn't want the box because there's so much negative publicity about it. So now I'm paying 749 baht/month without the box.

Should I contact them and ask for the box? Can you give me some advice on that, please? 

Oh I can't provide a recommendation because the "TV show/movie viewing habits and preferences" are so, so varied. 

Some people watch little TV....some people watch TV a whole lot.....some primarily watch TV shows...others primarily watch movies.  Some like to watch Sports...some don't.   If you have Thais in your family then that changes the viewing habits/preferences since they will  probably want to a lot of Thai TV channels/movies also.   The majority of the English language TV/movies is American...if a person is from the UK/EU/Oz they may not like American programming too much...prefer to see programming from their home country.  

Anyway, take a look at the AIS webpage giving info on AIS Play.   Please note if it just says AIS Playbox on a channel/movie selecton that mean it can only be seen on the Playbox; not if  you are using  the AIS Play apo on another device like a smartphone/tablet.    Kinda like how there are more channels for TrueVisions Cable TV folks compared to TrueVisions Satelitte TV folks.

When checking looking at the channel availability be sure to expand the channel list on the webpage to see all the channels.   Basically you get around 90 to 100 free-to-air channels when you get a Playbox...not charge for those chanels; if you want to add-on a bunch of premium channels you need to add-on one of the packages like the Platinum package for Bt599/month which gives you all their premium channels....that's what I have.    And picture clarity using the Playbox is excellent....better than TrueVisions cable or satellite TV.

http://www.ais.co.th/aisplay/en/TV.html

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

Oh I can't provide a recommendation because the "TV show/movie viewing habits and preferences" are so, so varied. 

Some people watch little TV....some people watch TV a whole lot.....some primarily watch TV shows...others primarily watch movies.  Some like to watch Sports...some don't.   If you have Thais in your family then that changes the viewing habits/preferences since they will  probably want to a lot of Thai TV channels/movies also.   The majority of the English language TV/movies is American...if a person is from the UK/EU/Oz they may not like American programming too much...prefer to see programming from their home country.  

Anyway, take a look at the AIS webpage giving info on AIS Play.   Please note if it just says AIS Playbox on a channel/movie selecton that mean it can only be seen on the Playbox; not if  you are using  the AIS Play apo on another device like a smartphone/tablet.    Kinda like how there are more channels for TrueVisions Cable TV folks compared to TrueVisions Satelitte TV folks.

When checking looking at the channel availability be sure to expand the channel list on the webpage to see all the channels.   Basically you get around 90 to 100 free-to-air channels when you get a Playbox...not charge for those chanels; if you want to add-on a bunch of premium channels you need to add-on one of the packages like the Platinum package for Bt599/month which gives you all their premium channels....that's what I have.    And picture clarity using the Playbox is excellent....better than TrueVisions cable or satellite TV.

http://www.ais.co.th/aisplay/en/TV.html

Thanks, I think my wife already has enough of her favorite Thai soaps. No need to add some more and eventually pay for it. Thank you very much!! 

It's good to know that there are subtitles for American viewers of British movies. :vampire:

Edited by jenny2017

12 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

I had some more time today to have a play around with things on the old style box. After not getting anywhere with getting Google Play to work, I decided to do the crazy thing and factory reset the box.

This, of course, completely neutered the box. It was impossible to access anything other than the AIS provided content and the backdoor through the HOOQ app in the YouTube video appears to have been closed.

I have however found my own backdoor but it does require a certain level of confidence to do it.

1. Enable developer mode by clicking on the build number several times.
2. Turn on developer mode and enable USB debugging.
3. Enable unknown sources for apk install.
4. Install ADB utility on your PC
5. Connect the Playbox OTG port to the PC using a suitable cable such as an older micro usb phone data cable. I did this with the Playbox switched on and connected to the PC
6. Launch the browser with the following command:
adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d http://www.google.com
7. Search for your preferred 3rd party launcher apk and install it. (I chose Nova Launcher)
8. Set your launcher as the default.

It should now be possible to sideload 3rd party apps.

I still haven't got the Playstore to work but I'll try again when I get more time.

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

You have an "old" neutered box running Android 4.X.  I have the "new" neutered box running Android 7.X...can do steps 1 and 2 and that's where the road ends because I can't do Step 3 of Enable Unknown Sources.    

On my new neutered box that function is basically grey-out....when you try to scroll to that setting its jumped right over because that setting can't be changed....locked out so to speak.

Apparently the neutering done to the old and new boxes was different probably due to running different Android versions.

4 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Thanks, I think my wife already has enough of her favorite Thai soaps. No need to add some more and eventually pay for it. Thank you very much!! 

Just keep in mind there is no monthly fee for receiving the 90 to 100 free-to-air channels....mostly Thai stuff.   The premium add-on packages is mostly the farang channel stuff....you don't have to take an premium add-on packages.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just keep in mind there is no monthly fee for receiving the 90 to 100 free-to-air channels....mostly Thai stuff.   The premium add-on packages is mostly the farang channel stuff....you don't have to take an premium add-on packages.

So, I should get the box for free, as far as I remember was it offered but I declined, because of the bad propaganda about it. 

You have an "old" neutered box running Android 4.X.  I have the "new" neutered box running Android 7.X...can do steps 1 and 2 and that's where the road ends because I can't do Step 3 of Enable Unknown Sources.    

On my new neutered box that function is basically grey-out....when you try to scroll to that setting its jumped right over because that setting can't be changed....locked out so to speak.

Apparently the neutering done to the old and new boxes was different probably due to running different Android versions.
You could try downloading the apk to your pc and then installing it through ADB and seeing if you can set the home screen in the Android settings.

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

10 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

So, I should get the box for free, as far as I remember was it offered but I declined, because of the bad propaganda about it. 

Promotions and packages change...you would need to give AIS a jingle to see if there is a fee to get the Playbox since you turned it down before.  You may now have to pay a one-time fee now to get the box (or not)...give them a call.   Or maybe log onto your AIS account to see if it an option add-on which should also include the price.  But even if it did reflect some info on your AIS account I would still call and ask.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pib said:

Promotions and packages change...you would need to give AIS a jingle to see if there is a fee to get the Playbox since you turned it down before.  You may now have to pay a one-time fee now to get the box (or not)...give them a call.   Or maybe log onto your AIS account to see if it an option add-on which should also include the price.  But even if it did reflect some info on your AIS account I would still call and ask.  

Thanks again, deeply appreciated.