Foodland supermarket coming to Royal Garden!

Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Selection range similar.

Foodland better prices.

nobody beats Villa in selection when you are looking for specialties, e.g. French cheese. Foodland carries none of my favourites Boursin, Tartare, Cambozola and Bleu pressé. other soft cheeses such as Camembert and Brie are of unacceptable quality in Foodland.

and of course nobody beats Villa with higher prices! :sad:

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes he does...but do not ask him what he ate for dinner last night because he can not remember.

On a serious note, when did the original Foodland open on Pattaya Klang - anyone know?

... and how old is Friendship?

Just now, tropo said:

On a serious note, when did the original Foodland open on Pattaya Klang - anyone know?

don't know the opening date but it existed it 1988 or perhaps 1989.

nobody beats Villa in selection when you are looking for specialties, e.g. French cheese. Foodland carries none of my favourites Boursin, Tartare, Cambozola and Bleu pressé. other soft cheeses such as Camembert and Brie are of unacceptable quality in Foodland.

and of course nobody beats Villa with higher prices! :sad:

Yeah you're probably right but if you're not shopping for fancy cheese a non-issue.

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah you're probably right but if you're not shopping for fancy cheese a non-issue.

the fancy cheese was just one example. i buy other things too in Villa and for some selected items i also use Foodland. the Mrs makes a weekly horror trip of min. 5 hours Makro, Tesco, Friendship, Big C and Foodland.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Which has better selection, better prices - Villa (Pattaya) or Foodland? Since i haven't bought much I haven't paid much attention.

A westerner may be shocked how similar the selection is at each store. it's like there's 3-5 of each brand item and every store carrries it.

The small/local stores are a bit of an exception: Friendship, Best, and a couple others

1 minute ago, WorriedNoodle said:
3 hours ago, Naam said:

don't know the opening date but it existed it 1988 or perhaps 1989.

It opened in 1989.

correct! i remember we celebrated the 40th birthday of a friend and we got some (at that time) exotic imported goodies from Foodland.

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

A westerner may be shocked how similar the selection is at each store. it's like there's 3-5 of each brand item and every store carrries it.

obviously you never shopped in Villa Market.

3 hours ago, Naam said:

obviously you never shopped in Villa Market.

It's pretty crazy how similar the big stores are, even Big C and Tesco share about 80-90% of the food items at Foodland and Villa. Even most of Friendship's items are at the others.

Edited by Hal65

23 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

It's pretty crazy how similar the big stores are, even Big C and Tesco share about 80-90% of the food items at Foodland and Villa. Even most of Friendship's items are at the others.

So in your home country each supermarket has at least 50% of items that can't be found in the others?

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

So in your home country each supermarket has at least 50% of items that can't be found in the others?

50% and 80-90% is a huge difference. I don't want to get into some long pointless argument other than to say in the US there is less of a brand oligarchy and a lot more niche products especially in the smaller stores.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You guess incorrectly. Assuming things makes an ass of you and you.

Lol....I knew that would cheese you off......now crawl back in your cheese slice troll cave!

Edited by tazly
sp

6 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

It opened in 1989. Check out their web site www.foodland.co.th/about-us where it says so! I was shopping in Spinneys in 1986 on Soi Post Office.

I also generally skip dinner these days so remembering it is not an issue.

I find your answer very interesting... not so much because of the opening of Foodland, but that someone has actually lived in or has been coming to Pattaya for at least 31 years LOL.

2 hours ago, Hal65 said:

On the contrary... It is exactly how I would expect it to be. Importers buy in large quantities of products and distribute it to all supermarkets in Thailand. If it weren't so, you'd be paying much higher prices than you do. Buying in too many speciality items would be costly and risky. You'll often see a fire sale of slow moving items that you'll never see again. It's not easy keeping expats, who always complain about the cost of imported foods, happy.

7 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

It opened in 1989. Check out their web site www.foodland.co.th/about-us where it says so! I was shopping in Spinneys in 1986 on Soi Post Office.

Spinney used to be located at the corner of soi Post office where it is Mc Donald's now. 

Friendship originally was located near walking street. They opened another branch near tuk com later. 

I think foodland at royal garden plaza will be open tomorrow. 

35 minutes ago, champa said:

I think foodland at royal garden plaza will be open tomorrow. 

Yes Monday has been confirmed. See you all there. 

4 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

You forgot cheese in a spray can :)

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Tell me more -  like where can I buy it?

33 minutes ago, pegman said:

Found only @ Villa! 

Thank you for the information.

This could revitalise our sex life. I'm getting tired of drinking champagne from Mrs Chickenslegs belly button.

24 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Thank you for the information.

This could revitalise our sex life. I'm getting tired of drinking champagne from Mrs Chickenslegs belly button.

It's moved a couple of times. Last I saw it was in one of the middle aisles  towards the front of the store. By the ketchup and salad dressings. 

10 hours ago, tropo said:
16 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I find your answer very interesting... not so much because of the opening of Foodland, but that someone has actually lived in or has been coming to Pattaya for at least 31 years LOL.

in my case it's 43½ years.