The better wine Cedar or casltle Creek

Mojomor

I happen to be in Portugal drinking good wine, certainly better as good as anything in Thailand I pay 500+ baht a bottle for. 

60 baht a bottle! I was drinking the 5 Euro stuff but the stuff on sale is just as good. 

I may never return  ; )

On 2017-4-22 at 2:06 PM, xylophone said:

I understand where you're coming from and I wasn't being dismissive of your post, and what I was trying to say was that if you were looking for a good Aussie Shiraz, then they would certainly be up in the 600 baht plus range, whereas there are some for under 500 baht (Gossips for example) and although not stunning, are good everyday drinkers.

Some of the South American offerings these days can come in at around 450 baht a bottle and are worth trying. However if you are just drinking the odd glass of wine every day, then cask wines can fit the bill, my pick being Berri Estates.

Gossips is terrible. Cheap shiraz is awful. Only quality shiraz is worth drinking and that would be 1000 baht up but shiraz is a cold climate drink.

12 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Gossips is terrible. Cheap shiraz is awful. Only quality shiraz is worth drinking and that would be 1000 baht up but shiraz is a cold climate drink.

Context.............the poster was wanting to make a decision between a not too expensive Shiraz or drinking a cask fruit wine, hence my suggestion, because although Gossips is just an everyday "swigger" it is better than drinking fruit wine, IMO.

Sure we would all like to drink quality Shiraz, and as luck would have it I do, buying some fabulous Shiraz wines which originate from South Africa and Australia.

Wine can be drunk in any climate and Australia which produces some very fine Shiraz wines is not exactly what you would call "a cold climate" country with temperatures in the Barossa Valley, which produce some very good Shiraz wines, often up in the 30s in the summer.

On 4/19/2017 at 5:53 PM, Tony45 said:

Peter Vella 4 litre red is quite good if you cannot find a good Australian shiraz.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As I have said a few times with other posts on other wine threads, it pays to look around your local supermarket to see if they have any wines which have been marked down (they are not allowed to promote discounted wines in supermarkets, so they do it surreptitiously by just lowering the price on the ticket).

I have been fortunate enough to buy Brunello di Montalcino (originally 1699 baht) for 399 baht a bottle and a lovely Ravenswood Zinfandel from the USA for the same price because Tesco were having a clear out of some wines.

Onto the subject of your "good Australian Shiraz" yesterday I noticed that my large Tesco Lotus store was selling Peter Lehmann Wildcard Shiraz for 399 baht a bottle and it's a nice wine from a reputable producer, so maybe worthwhile you having a look if you do have a large Tesco Lotus store near you.

2 hours ago, dorayme said:

Peter Villa makes a nice white wine. The taste doesn't seem to be quite the same from box to box.

Made in Thailand with added fruit juice, so what can you expect!!!!!

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, garrya said:

Jesus Christ. Neither of these can be classified wine if you are used to French or Italian ones. 

Have you been to Thailand?

We drink piss and call it wine so the next official in line can buy a holiday resort for his 5 year old daugter