Thai police probe missing monk’s body from refrigerated glass coffin

webfact

Police probe missing monk’s body from refrigerated glass coffin 

251_Phra.jpg

SAKHON NAKHON: -- Sakhon Nakhon provincial police are now investigating and finding the body of a senior which went missing from a refrigerated glass coffin in a temple just before a royal cremation will be held on Saturday.

The police suspected that the body of Phra Khru Sophon Thammapiwat, the former abbot of Wat Sirimongkol and former chief monk of  Phang Khon district in the northeastern province of Sakon Nakhon might be stolen.

Earlier monks at Wat Sirimongkol temple found that the body of Phra Khru Sophon Thammaphiwat has mysteriously disappeared from a refrigerated coffin at the temple.

The pillows were placed in the coffin and blanketed the pillows with the robe to fool that the body was still in the coffin.

Phra Khru Thammasiriwat, the sub-district deputy chief monk of Phang Khon district, who was taking care of the body, said that the body of Phra Khru Sophon Thammaphiwat disappeared Wednesday at around 19.00 pm.

He said the late monk’s relatives, villagers and members of the temple committee have agreed to open the coffin to prepare for the royal cremation ceremony on April 22.

When they opened the coffin, they were shocked when the body was not in but disappeared.

They informed Phang Khon police of the disappearance of the late monk’s remains.

Police were investigating a number of people to find out where the body had been moved and why.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-probe-missing-monks-body-refrigerated-glass-coffin/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-20

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said the late monk’s relatives, villagers and members of the temple committee have agreed to open the coffin to prepare for the royal cremation ceremony on April 22.

I don't wish to fall foul of the forum rules but I do not understand how his cremation could be considered "royal".

Could someone please explain?

Well if the body is missing and it is not supposed to be missing, then I guess it having been stolen would be a fair assumption!

Unless of course he has done a Lazarus act, which I tend to find somewhat less likely.

The question I am longing for them to answer is why? Answer that and they will probably know who about the same time.

43 minutes ago, Encid said:

I don't wish to fall foul of the forum rules but I do not understand how his cremation could be considered "royal".

Could someone please explain?

These are so-called royal-sponsored funerals where a delegate from the palace turns up standing in for royalty, or in more prestigious cases a member of the royal family itself, presides the funeral and (symbolically) lights the pyre. This can be accorded to monks considered important, politicians, business men, artists of renown etc. 

1 hour ago, orchis said:

These are so-called royal-sponsored funerals where a delegate from the palace turns up standing in for royalty, or in more prestigious cases a member of the royal family itself, presides the funeral and (symbolically) lights the pyre. This can be accorded to monks considered important, politicians, business men, artists of renown etc. 

Thank you for that explanation.

:wai:

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well if the body is missing and it is not supposed to be missing, then I guess it having been stolen would be a fair assumption!

Unless of course he has done a Lazarus act, which I tend to find somewhat less likely.

The question I am longing for them to answer is why? Answer that and they will probably know who about the same time.

They haven't got a ghost of a chance of finding it.:saai:

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Maybe the  plaque theft gang have struck again. 

Was there a striped tent covering the coffin at any point this week? 

Beat me to it maybe the monk took the plaque?

31 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

They will nick anything in desperate times history suggests, so we must be there right now for a body to go walkabout

Its for sale on ebay but the listing has quiet a smell about it. In a few ways!