Ford Thailand sales jump 50% in first quarter

Ford Thailand sales jump 50% in first quarter

By The Nation

Ford Thailand on Thursday said its first-quarter sales jumped 50 per cent year over year to 12,938 vehicles, driven by continued strength in demand for the Ranger pickup and its Everest and EcoSport SUVs.

The strong first quarter allowed Ford to continue outpacing the overall Thai industry, and boost its total market share for the quarter to 6.2 per cent, up 1.4 percentage points from the same quarter last year.

“We continue to make significant progress in Thailand, particularly with the success of Ranger, which continues to increase its share of the highly competitive pickup truck segment,” said Narong Sritalayon, deputy managing director, Ford Thailand.

The Ranger remains Ford’s flagship model in Thailand, with its first quarter sales increasing 58 per cent year-on-year to 10,482 vehicles. Ranger sales accounted for 11.3 per cent of Thailand’s pickup truck segment in the first quarter, up from 8.2 per cent from a year ago.

In March, the “Built Ford Tough” Ranger delivered record monthly sales and segment share, as retail sales soared 76 per cent to 4,524 vehicles for 12.6 per cent of the pickup truck segment for the month.

The full Ranger lineup in Thailand includes 24 different models, from its high-series Wildtrak and premium version of its XLT variant, the Ranger FX4, to four additional Ranger XL and XLS variants – providing great customer choice and meeting a wide-range of work and recreational needs.

The popular Everest mid-size SUV contributed to Ford’s first quarter performance with total sales that increased 24 per cent to 1,764 vehicles, and capturing 12 per cent share of its segment for the quarter.

Ford says the Everest redefines consumer expectations for a mid-sized SUV with its bold design and refined interior, off-road capability with on-road comfort.

The Everest has advanced driver-assist technologies that included Adaptive Cruise Control, Forward Collision Warning System, Lane Keeping System, Auto High Beam Control and Driver Alert System.

The EcoSport compact SUV also contributed to Ford’s quarterly performance with sales rising 27 per cent year-on-year to 463 vehicles. The EcoSport, which is E85 compatible, combines small-car practicality and the agility of an SUV.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312852

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-20

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! The pick up is doing well because they are popular in Thailand and let's be honest the design of Ford pick up is much better than its competitors. I'm well accustomed with the EcoSport SUV and I can't praise it. It is not Eco because the fuel consumption is quite high and some gear problems appear in some cars under warranty time, which is not OK in my opinion. Don't know much about Ford Everest, but it is silly to drive one being stuck in traffic in Bangkok.

Unlikely, but not impossible ...there maybe a person who is disappointed with their Everest. But the ones to feel really sorry for are those that bought that Pajero thing and then had a ride in their friends Everest ...

8 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Yes! The pick up is doing well because they are popular in Thailand and let's be honest the design of Ford pick up is much better than its competitors. I'm well accustomed with the EcoSport SUV and I can't praise it. It is not Eco because the fuel consumption is quite high and some gear problems appear in some cars under warranty time, which is not OK in my opinion. Don't know much about Ford Everest, but it is silly to drive one being stuck in traffic in Bangkok.

Its designed in Australia.

2 minutes ago, tomwct said:

i thought the high labor costs in australia was the reason all the auto makers left!

That's correct.  Ford and Holden have maintained the design crews tho.  I have a Korean friend who is part of the design team at Ford Broadmeadows in Melbourne Australia.  There are no plans to relocate this department as the vehicles like the ranger are designed in Aust for Australian conditions and still tested there.

I understand Holden is still designed in Australia but being assembled by Chevrolet Thailand and Indonesia.

31 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It's Thailand domestic sales that are referenced in the article, not exports.

I think that was just a little mis-understanding on his part.

Certainly the Everest has continued to increase market share. 

Aussie design comes good ☺

Local people believe what they read in the motor forums on the Internet and newspapers,

I know i did, more fool me

Its only if they have mechanical problems with their ranger and find out when the go to the dealer to get them fixed they are not the only ones with problems, plenty of other people having similar problems with Rangers still on red (temporary) plates

Ford should get Mazda to manufacture their engines and transmissions, Mazda have better quality control and far fewer problems with their trucks and cars, nothing new about this its been the same since the 1980's ( ford Lazer and Mazda 121) 

Edited by madmax2

3 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

:passifier:whats about Fiesta and Focus??:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Friends of ours have a current model Fiesta a 2012 manufactured one, apart from gearbox problems it was caught in a overnight flood, insurance could not get the parts to repair it so they dropped it of to the Ford dealer, it was 4 months before they got the vehicle back, also they got a price on it recently to sell, offered 270K baht and it cost nearly 800K baht

Fords have really bad resale and trade in values compared to other makes of locally produced vehicles

I absolutely love the looks on the Everest but after the problems Ford had with the gear boxes, or better said how they handled it, and the very limited service opportunities in Thailand (garages, dealerships, etc) I won't even go for a test drive and will choose between the Fortuner and the MuX next month.

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

I absolutely love the looks on the Everest but after the problems Ford had with the gear boxes, or better said how they handled it, and the very limited service opportunities in Thailand (garages, dealerships, etc) I won't even go for a test drive and will choose between the Fortuner and the MuX next month.

Go try a Pajero much better and cheaper, you will not look back

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Do not go for a test drive in an Everest unless you are considering buying one ...  driving any other 'body on frame' SUV after will just feel 2nd rate...

17 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Hell there is going to be a lot more disappointing people buying this overpriced junk?

Yes TV readers with bucks. Increased 50% from where? It seems they took a lot of heat over their Ford Focus brand so one wonders where the measurement starts. I live by the old adage once bitten twice shy. 

Edited by elgordo38

Had the Ford EcoSport. Sure it drank more fuel, sure I had bad experience with the sales person, but overall the car is great.. If I had more budget, I would be looking at the Ford Focus Ecoboost with the traditional automatic gear box or the everest for sure. 

Driving the Honda City now, I prefer the thickness of Ford over Japanese brand vehicle..

At least it's better than "Brit Dynamics" Those are junk. 

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Do not go for a test drive in an Everest unless you are considering buying one ...  driving any other 'body on frame' SUV after will just feel 2nd rate...

And that's what bites...the everest is overall, fundamentally better than its competition. Especially on-road driving characteristics. It's a shame there dealerships have a poor reputation here. The top model 3.2 everest drops 500K in the first year or so. That would make it a fair buy second hand. Best value for money is the pjs - it's high speed stability could be improved with different shocks. That's all it needs. My wife's college vehicle is the mu-x and she hates riding in the second row. Not comfortable at all. 

Local people believe what they read in the motor forums on the Internet and newspapers,
I know i did, more fool me
Its only if they have mechanical problems with their ranger and find out when the go to the dealer to get them fixed they are not the only ones with problems, plenty of other people having similar problems with Rangers still on red (temporary) plates
Ford should get Mazda to manufacture their engines and transmissions, Mazda have better quality control and far fewer problems with their trucks and cars, nothing new about this its been the same since the 1980's ( ford Lazer and Mazda 121) 

Err, the BT50 and the cheaper Rangers are manufactured on the same assembly line.

Why do these Ford threads attract so many people eager to bash them when they are clearly head and shoulders above nearly all of the competition?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

12 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Err, the BT50 and the cheaper Rangers are manufactured on the same assembly line.

Why do these Ford threads attract so many people eager to bash them when they are clearly head and shoulders above nearly all of the competition?

Err, but made from different parts from different manufacturers, ford and Mazda make their own major components, even if they are identical  

All rangers are cheaply made and overpriced, the plastic parts on the more expensive models are made in India, that was the holdup on supplying wildtrack models when they first came out, or so i was informed by a Ford representative when i complained about late delivery 

Edited by madmax2

Err, but made from different parts from different manufacturers, ford and Mazda make their own major components, even if they are identical  
All rangers are cheaply made and overpriced, the plastic parts on the more expensive models are made in India, that was the holdup on supplying wildtrack models when they first came out, or so i was informed by a Ford representative when i complained about late delivery 

But same engines and running gear.

The WT and Everest use an improved version of the 2 engines. I suppose they source their engine components from different suppliers and swap over the assembly guys depending on which brand of truck is rolling down the line...

Kinda easy to have a big percentage jump when your sales numbers are that low. I like the ford truck, lots of xtras for the money compared to other brands and lower prices. We have been looking at all the different makes lately, but after all the bad press on ford we decided the Isuzu and their bulletproof motors were our choice when we buy. Also I wasnt impressed with the sales people at either of the ford dealers we went to compared to other brands.

Kinda easy to have a big percentage jump when your sales numbers are that low. I like the ford truck, lots of xtras for the money compared to other brands and lower prices. We have been looking at all the different makes lately, but after all the bad press on ford we decided the Isuzu and their bulletproof motors were our choice when we buy. Also I wasnt impressed with the sales people at either of the ford dealers we went to compared to other brands.

I have an Isuzu as well, but the idea that it is easy to double your market share in a year is ridiculous. The new Ranger and Everest are nice units and are selling themselves. )although I think the 'tuna is better looking)

Ford builds a fine product, if I could have gotten a 3.2 the year they came out I would have not bought the Isuzu.

Toyota is getting a lot of transmission complaints on the new Revo and 'tuna as well, but I think it the issue with it and the Ford, are the same: people are not used to high-tech computerized fuel management that will have the mill turning 2,200 and not shift into high if you have a head-wind. People think something is wrong, and keep taking them back until something is wrong.

They didnt double their market share only unit sales, and I dont see any class action lawsuits against toyota or isuzu. If you're transmissions computer is so lame that it cant detect a power change and adjust itself from a headwind i think thats called a bad design in engineering terms. i have had many ford trucks back home and never seen the problems ford has here, especially with customer service, but when you have no consumer protection laws why not screw the customer ?

They didnt double their market share only unit sales, and I dont see any class action lawsuits against toyota or isuzu. If you're transmissions computer is so lame that it cant detect a power change and adjust itself from a headwind i think thats called a bad design in engineering terms. i have had many ford trucks back home and never seen the problems ford has here, especially with customer service, but when you have no consumer protection laws why not screw the customer ?

The not shifting with a head-wind is a Toyota issue, not a Ford issue. And the computer is doing it's job, and providing the most fuel efficient gear ratio for the conditions.

I have one of the early gen WT2.2, we got it in early 2013 and it's still a good running truck, looks good/drives good (for a truck) and it never lets us down, what more do you need from a truck?

Good service from Ford Pattaya and have no complaints whatsoever.

The service on your car/truck/suv mostly depends on which service center you visit and not so much the brand. Honda Pattaya which we used for our Honda City before we got the WT was <deleted>.