car is costing a lot on fuel ...advice

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Pdaz said:

Does your 10yr old Vigo even have 5 ratios ? After a yankee V8 auto I guess you'd find anything economical.

My Vigo has a first gear ratio similar to many rides but the Vigo has huge torque from idle that multiplies to create amazing forward motion. Your slush box era is long gone...

What does a manual Vigo idle at...?

To avoid this kind of guessing about the real consumption of a car, the mileage has been invented. It basically comes in 3 different units: mpg (miles per gallon), l/100 km (litres per 100 km) and km/l (km per liter).
The OP apparently does not know how many litres of gasoline he used. Only the total cost.
But 8 l/100 km seems a bit high for a modern 1.6 l engine. But then again 91 oct is not a very efficient type of gasoline. High efficiency engines have high compression and thus need high octane gasoline.
It would be interesting to know how many litres the OP used. The rest is speculation.

3 minutes ago, dominique355 said:

To avoid this kind of guessing about the real consumption of a car, the mileage has been invented. It basically comes in 3 different units: mpg (miles per gallon), l/100 km (litres per 100 km) and km/l (km per liter).
The OP apparently does not know how many litres of gasoline he used. Only the total cost.
But 8 l/100 km seems a bit high for a modern 1.6 l engine. But then again 91 oct is not a very efficient type of gasoline. High efficiency engines have high compression and thus need high octane gasoline.
It would be interesting to know how many litres the OP used. The rest is speculation.

The amount spent/km traveled is in the OP and a quick google search will reveal the cost of E20 and gasohol 91.

You should send a stern email to Ford telling them their published fuel economy figures are wrong for a "modern 1.6 L engine".

Edited by Don Mega

29 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Trans ... that's a beauty ... should be entered for 'quote of the week' ... :smile:

1 hour ago, transam said:

Fink you may be lost at this time...:stoner:

Nah.. Been busy watering the garden. So your 10 yr old Vigo doesn't have a slush box then ?  9 speed getrag auto with locking torque converter fitted ?

Nope !

It's got a four speed auto. Nothing high tech about that.

In day to day driving your auto truck will use more juice than a similar manual.

probably more as it's 10yrs old.. 

F00k me ! I was wrong ! Look at this press release from 2007... Artificial Intelligence ! Who would have thunk it ? Must have been to make up for the driver ?

"Starting in Q4 006, the 2007 Hilux is available with a choice of transmissions – a four speed automatic is now optional on the 3.0-litre D-4D models alongside the five-speed manual across the range. The new hi-tech automatic gearbox features ‘Artificial Intelligence’ shift control to respond to driving conditions and -style."

IMG_4453.JPG.0a0a2ab2fd3b65cf7d9067aab6aec87d.JPG

One of the problems (and complaints) with a lot of the small rubber band drive A/T cars is their optimised mileage comes from flat level driving in OD at a constant engine speed.....

Thailand rarely offers this type of driving & as such the trans is always working to maintain needed power up/down flutter shifting constantly....This, of course, affects fuel economy.....

Only way to stop it was to drive in drive instead of OD - which defeated economy.....

It was a constant complaint with small engined auto trans vehicles.....

Not sure how they measure mpg here but the EPA adjusted mileage figures in no way reflected normal every day driving patterns....

I think those many speed transmissions are simply made for underpowered engines. They don't have much power so the transmissions are designed to keep the little engine in the highest torque range. My five speed manual V-Cross has plenty of gears. The only time I use first gear is when I'm on an incline. On most of the roads here, I never get into fifth gear. Fifth gear is mostly used on major highways. My average kilometers per liter is rarely less than 14.5. The 3.0 liter diesel has plenty of power but it is great for passing or going up a mountain.

10 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Auto gearbox and small cc is a recipe for poor fuel consumption 

As reported my 1200cc  automatic Almera does just over 20 kms/litre..........thats good by any stretch of the imagination :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Gary A said:

I think those many speed transmissions are simply made for underpowered engines. They don't have much power so the transmissions are designed to keep the little engine in the highest torque range. My five speed manual V-Cross has plenty of gears. The only time I use first gear is when I'm on an incline. On most of the roads here, I never get into fifth gear. Fifth gear is mostly used on major highways. My average kilometers per liter is rarely less than 14.5. The 3.0 liter diesel has plenty of power but it is great for passing or going up a mountain.

2017 ZL1 Camaro has 650hp and a 10 speed auto.

My experience, owning a Toyota Yaris 1.5,  and a Hilux  3.0,  gas vs Diesel,  not only price is cheaper for Diesel,  it gets better bang for the buck on the road because it is diesel.  I drive the Yaris around town up country the Hilux, end of story.

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

2017 ZL1 Camaro has 650hp and a 10 speed auto.

Much more power but the same theory. Keeps the the engine in the maximum power range.

7 minutes ago, Gary A said:

Much more power but the same theory. Keeps the the engine in the maximum power range.

A 4 or 5 Speed  auto wouldn't do the same ?

The ZF8 speed was designed for fuel efficency, not to keep the engine in the maxium power range.

https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/products/product_range/cars/cars_8_speed_automatic_transmission.shtml

Edited by Don Mega

The best thing the automatic transmission people ever did was to come up with the lock up torque converter. That puts an automatic in nearly the same economy range as a manual transmission.

ADDED - The electronic sensors let you decide if you want the power range or the economic range, thus the ECO setting.

Edited by Gary A

What a wonderful TV thread :biggrin:

The thread starter hasn't come back.

Instead another endless auto vs. manual bickering.

I can just repeat: auto vs. manual is by no means an explanation for the high fuel cost.

Some of the statements about automatic have already been adequately replied.

13 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Nah.. Been busy watering the garden. So your 10 yr old Vigo doesn't have a slush box then ?  9 speed getrag auto with locking torque converter fitted ?

Nope !

It's got a four speed auto. Nothing high tech about that.

In day to day driving your auto truck will use more juice than a similar manual.

probably more as it's 10yrs old.. 

Oh dear.....

My Vigo has a 3 speed with a fourth overdrive gear complete with a lockup converter and is electrically controlled and can drive the front axle.. First gear has virtually the same gear ratio as the famed TH400 3 speed trans which was fitted to many low end high torque motors, such RR, V12 Jag, all big inch GM rides. The Vigo has similar high torque numbers and I can wheel spin the ride of the line if l want..

The new multi gear autos fitted to late pickups have a ridiculously low first gear ratio which with the low rpm high torque numbers to me is not needed, plus it has 2 overdrive gears which will save gas if you can use them both..

As for a manual being better on fuel, probably, but will depend on the driver too..:smile:

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh dear.....

My Vigo has a 3 speed with a fourth overdrive gear complete with a lockup converter and is electrically controlled and can drive the front axle.. First gear has virtually the same gear ratio as the famed TH400 3 speed trans which was fitted to many low end high torque motors, such RR, V12 Jag, all big inch GM rides. The Vigo has similar high torque numbers and I can wheel spin the ride of the line if l want..

The new multi gear autos fitted to late pickups have a ridiculously low first gear ratio which with the low rpm high torque numbers to me is not needed, plus it has 2 overdrive gears which will save gas if you can use them both..

As for a manual being better on fuel, probably, but will depend on the driver too..:smile:

Finally ! :partytime2:

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What a wonderful TV thread :biggrin:

The thread starter hasn't come back.

Instead another endless auto vs. manual bickering.

I can just repeat: auto vs. manual is by no means an explanation for the high fuel cost.

Some of the statements about automatic have already been adequately replied.

I agree, however, I am of the opinion that it is a personal choice. I like my manual transmission but my wife's next vehicle will definitely be an automatic. She has an automatic now. I seriously doubt that there is a lot of difference in fuel economy between a manual and an automatic. I do have some concerns about the dependability of those many speed automatics. Electronics are great, BUT.

Just now, Don Mega said:

Never said it was a good vehicle, never seen any american cars that fall into that category !!

There are a few.. But the interiors ( although much improved now ) still let many American cars down.

Hey Guys … we seem to be digressing … lets try and get it back on track.

So from Pumpjacks post it looks like around 8-9Km/Ltr, so to get that from the Focus we could postulate

Pumpjack was driving at 150km/Hr for a lot of the journey … somewhat unlikely

Pumpjack was in Stop-Go traffic for much of his journey … again not too likely

Pumpjack  ‘addups’ proficiency is somewhat lacking … again not exactly likely but who knows

Pumpjack didn’t get all the fuel he paid for … unlikely but not impossible, petrol station pulled a fast one

Pumpjacks babe has a few extra red notes in her pocket …no PJ will have paid himself

Jack was parked up, air con on to keep cool whilst pumping his babe for or a couple of hours …  

Pumpjack had the choke lever out … wat you think Trans :stoner:

Pumpjack should have hired the 1.5Ltr Vios he said he would in Apr 27th Topic…seems should have

Pumpjack is ‘having us on. … nay never

There must be other obvious reason, but perhaps already covered in earlier post …

Edited by JAS21

16 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Auto gearbox and small cc is a recipe for poor fuel consumption 

That's not correct, I have a Nissan March auto, 1100 cc, 3 cylinder and I can travel around 700 klm on one tank of E20.

I use E20 in my 1200cc Nissan Almera (recommended fuel) on a run I,m getting 20kms/litre out of it :thumbsup:

I use E20 in 3 year old yaris.

kid at shell said use 95 V power
better for the engine!

is this true ?