Foreigners who stole wooden elephant caught on Koh Phangan

snoop1130

I've got an identical pair, matching left and right hand. Must be churned out in a factory somewhere. They are one piece of wood, good wood, heavy, but made with machine tools rather than carved by hand.

I paid 10k for them second hand, about 2 years old, from a restaurant that was closing down. He'd paid 14k for them.This was about 10 years ago.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Boozed up yanks who thought it would be funny to steal another's property.  Hopefully a few months in the Hilton will make them think.

Yeah, no doubt a stupid prank not well thought-out and at least one appears to be American. How about the fat old Brit who rapes little girls; story in this same daily forum? He was an up-standing businessman here in Thailand and now he is on the dole at Buckingham palace in comparison.

This really does seem to fit the adage, all braun and no brains. Must be a tough pill to swallow at the tender age of 22 that you are also useless at stealing. So you already know that when you have no job and no money you are literally up s%&t street without a paddle with zero options!

"Sasothon had earlier called for jail time for the foreign thieves."

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they went to jail.  They deserve it for theft of another person's property.  However, Sasothon's post just highlights the double standards in Thailand; if they had been Thai thieves, an apologetic Wai, and all is forgiven.  I would like to think that would be the outcome of this matter, plus a fine large enough to teach them a lesson.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

I've got an identical pair, matching left and right hand. Must be churned out in a factory somewhere. They are one piece of wood, good wood, heavy, but made with machine tools rather than carved by hand.

I paid 10k for them second hand, about 2 years old, from a restaurant that was closing down. He'd paid 14k for them.This was about 10 years ago.

Yeah, they – or similar wooden elephants – are for sale several places, like "Nick's" by Big Buddha, which is not that far from Fisherman Village, so if one really desire to own a wooden elephant, they can be bought. If I remember right the price I've seen is still around the level as you, thaiguzzi, mention – and probably worth all the money to buy, compared to an extended holiday in Bangkok Hilton, or similar quality resort...:sick:

It was all a big misunderstanding .

A mate back at the Condo asked them to go out and get him a large Chang

They could only get a small Chang and took that back instead

Thank <deleted> they didnt ask him for a Leo

No jail for these jokers.........

As punishment they have to sit each on that wooden elephant for 3 weeks during 

opening times of that restaurant .

Round their neck a plate : "I tried to steel this wooden elephant " 

Imagine all the  pictures  on Face Book,....news papers........

They did not really want to steal , it was ment as a joke ...........well give them a joke ,see who is laughing ?

17 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Two light fingered quality tourists Michael Jackson would be proud Black & White yeah yeah yeah !

Light fingered and also finger pointing towards the Elephant in question ,,, well done, we need the finger pointing to know exactly what crime has been committed. 

46 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

Light fingered and also finger pointing towards the Elephant in question ,,, well done, we need the finger pointing to know exactly what crime has been committed. 

It took 50 posts to get to the pointing.  Very poor pointing I thought , could do better , I can't do with lackadaysickle pointing . Better pointing and smaller fine.

If you're going to steal something you should at least make it worthwhile in the event that you are caught and possibly go to jail.

But these thieves that come to Thailand on holiday and botch a job like this make all thieves look bad.

I hope it costs them more than a few baht to get out of this and a little bit of cell time would not hurt them either.

Give the guys a break! Who reading this can honestly say they never did anything stupid when they were young and pi#sed up? I for one did plenty of stupid things, some I am not proud of, but to me (looking back), it was all part of growing up. Come to think of it, I sometimes do stupid things even now! :shock1: 

Maybe their choice of location wasn't the best but .....

Edited by South

A post containing derogatory slurs toward Americans has been removed as per this forum rule:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

23 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Two light fingered quality tourists Michael Jackson would be proud Black & White yeah yeah yeah !

12 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Except the British version of these guys would have been drunk, full of tattoos, obese and dropping f bombs every other word.   So not too much more respectful!

I am not impressed with the type of people that you know so well and mix with.

1 hour ago, metisdead said:

A post containing derogatory slurs toward Americans has been removed as per this forum rule:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Unless they are English ( ID 16)

1 hour ago, South said:

Give the guys a break! Who reading this can honestly say they never did anything stupid when they were young and pi#sed up? I for one did plenty of stupid things, some I am not proud of, but to me (looking back), it was all part of growing up. Come to think of it, I sometimes do stupid things even now! :shock1: 

Maybe their choice of location wasn't the best but .....

They – the black'n'white foreigners – don't appear to be extremely drunk, when catching the elephant...:whistling:

Stupid drunk prank?

The stayed on Samui one more day before going on the ferry to Koh Phangan.

The elephant was so big that they could not close the tailgate.

For everyone saying "give them two months and deport them", minimum for theft after dark is 1,5 years.

2 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Stupid dunk prank?

The stayed on Samui one more day before going on the ferry to Koh Phangan.

The elephant was so big that they could not close the tailgate.

For everyone saying "give them two months and deport them", minimum for theft after dark is 1,5 years.

How much time for a real elephant?  :smile: