France's economy minister tells Britain - 'We want our money back'

webfact

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Do you mean: enjoy the advantages while they last, refuse the obligations when they come?

A very modern (and popular) way of thinking!

And it explains why western civilization is going downhill.

Thank you for the vote of confidence that you think i personally could influence the EU and be responsible for their actions.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, chrissables said:

All this talk of legal enforceability is nonsense. We should take the high ground and state clearly that we will pay all our liabilities without equivocation.

I can't agree with that, especially as they to date have not quantified the amount.

You are right, regarding our reputation and we should do what we can to be fair, as should the EU

Referendums seem to work well for Switzerland. 

Yes they do seem to.

Two issues -

1) The size of our population

2) The parlous and unequal state of our education

Frankly, just because there are obviously large numbers of numpties in the UK, I don't agree that their views are always correct; capital punishment being the exemplar of this.

No, representative democracy please. Failing that, we shall have to think clearly about who should have the right to vote.

18 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Thank you for the vote of confidence that you think i personally could influence the EU and be responsible for their actions.

That is not what I said.

I suggested that you are  responsible / victim of the choices your country (UK) made.

Now if you tell me that you are a street fighting anarchist, I will take back my words.

I that case, obviously you are not responsible for any government's decisions.

But I fear you are just a whining old Brit, member of the silent majority, too lazy and too stupid to take your future into your own hands.

Your age may excuse your attitude of course.

PS. I am 66. Old in years yes.

Edited by oldhippy
edit

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

That is not what I said.

I suggested that you are  responsible / victim of the choices your country (UK) made.

Now if you tell me that you are a street fighting anarchist, I will take back my words.

I that case, obviously you are not responsible for any government's decisions.

But I fear you are just a whining old Brit, member of the silent majority, too lazy and too stupid to take your future into your own hands.

Your age may excuse your attitude of course.

Too lazy and too stupid to take the future into my hands, you are a funny sod. Retired at 42 and been living here ever since. So lazy and stupid no. 

I am also not really whining, rather pointing out what is in fact the law in regards to to article 50 as i understand it.

3 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

So, where are you from?

I just had my coffee with a fresh croissant. And I would like to have a peaceful evening

England. But i do like a French breakfast, i can buy croissants here in Thailand :)

3 minutes ago, chrissables said:

England. But i do like a French breakfast, i can buy croissants here in Thailand :)

In ChiangMai we can buy croissants at Makro. BUTTER croissants....very delicious.

(I think there are bigger problems in the world than between EU and UK.....Donald is watching us)

Good evening and have a good night too.

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

Too lazy and too stupid to take the future into my hands, you are a funny sod. Retired at 42 and been living here ever since. So lazy and stupid no. 

I am also not really whining, rather pointing out what is in fact the law in regards to to article 50 as i understand it.

3 minutes ago, chrissables said:

As a "soixante huitard"  I can assure you that age does not matter.

Retired at 42? Now 42 and 1 day? What is your point?

I remember an interview with an old artist back when.

Q: Do you have a problem with the young generation?

A: No, but I do I have a problem with my generation of old farts.

Those islanders!

So full of thainess.

Just now, oldhippy said:

As a "soixante huitard"  I can assure you that age does not matter.

Retired at 42? Now 42 and 1 day? What is your point?

I remember an interview with an old artist back when.

Q: Do you have a problem with the young generation?

A: No, but I do I have a problem with my generation of old farts.

Those islanders!

So full of thainess.

You are the person who brought up my age, 55 in fact.

In reply to me being stupid, i suppose it depends on how you look at what a person has achieved in life. Managing to retire at 42 would show that i am neither stupid or lazy. 

You of course may think otherwise, trust me it won't give me sleepless nights.

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

In reply to me being stupid, i suppose it depends on how you look at what a person has achieved in life. Managing to retire at 42 would show that i am neither stupid or lazy. 

No, you did.

Clever at 42, does not make you clever now about other subjects. And I won't ask how you managed to retire at 42 - just lucky  I assume?

We agree on that, good night.

The UK's exit bill will initially be ascertained by checking the EU contractual obligations. Hardly any (if any at all) of the above contributors will either have the attention span or managerial experience to wade through the detail. Just flying off on a limb will be their uneducated limits. As we have seen. Page after page of it.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The UK's exit bill will initially be ascertained by checking the EU contractual obligations. Hardly any (if any at all) of the above contributors will either have the attention span or managerial experience to wade through the detail. Just flying off on a limb will be their uneducated limits. As we have seen. Page after page of it.

I trust you will keep us mortals up to date.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Spoken like a true expert!

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

No, you did.

Clever at 42, does not make you clever now about other subjects. And I won't ask how you managed to retire at 42 - just lucky  I assume?

We agree on that, good night.

42 - the answer to life, the universe and everything - good for you Chris.

Just now, nauseus said:

42 - the answer to life, the universe and everything - good for you Chris.

Aha.

We have a common denominator.

I was going to post something about 42, not sure what, but I thought it would be too much off topic.

Great book, I especially like the entry about Earth: "unsignificant blue-ish planet, hosts the biggest whorehouse of the universe".

Firstly, the UK isn't running away, it's currently engaged in negotiations. Secondly, the EU is refusing to provide any details of it's financial demands. Thirdly, there will be no winners from restricted trade, though the EU as an entity will suffer most because of the balance of trade.

Exactly!!! There will be no winners in this. If the EU punishes the UK with trade restrictions they will be punishing themselves when one of the major outlets for their car industry dries up and redundancies loom in the Rheinland. Both sides need to get real smoke a doobie and make this work to everyone's advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Nazis were defeated by the Soviets who faced 200 German divisions while the Americans and Brits were whiling away their time on their sideshow in Italy never facing more than 10 divisions. 

Which theatre of operation did you serve in? Must have been pretty major to belittle 2 great nations in this way and the men that fought and died for your liberty.

1 minute ago, chezy86 said:

Which theatre of operation did you serve in? Must have been pretty major to belittle 2 great nations in this way and the men that fought and died for your liberty.

What will it be?

Are you going to glorify the 2 nations or the poor men that died for "their" nation?

52 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

Here's the short history of WWII in Europe: the only two Western nations that had positive GDP growth rates in the 30's, Germany and the USSR, fought a war.  The US waited on the sidelines until the eleventh hour when the Soviet victory was assured and then rushed in to seize "the greatest material prize in history", the Mid-East oil, from... the British. 

You may however prefer to get your understanding of history from insightful Hollywood movies of the period.

5 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

Here's the short history of WWII in Europe: the only two Western nations that had positive GDP growth rates in the 30's, Germany and the USSR, fought a war.  The US waited on the sidelines until the eleventh hour when the Soviet victory was assured and then rushed in to seize "the greatest material prize in history", the Mid-East oil, from... the British. 

You may however prefer to get your understanding of history from insightful Hollywood movies of the period.

Plenty of nutcase theories of everything on the internet. And some of them turn up here.

Edited by SheungWan

9 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Plenty of nutcase theories of everything on the internet. And some of them turn up here.

You can maybe blame that poster for possibly being slightly simplistic, but you can not blame him for fundamentally distorting the truth.

Germany was defeated by the Russians.

As was Napoleon.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You can maybe blame that poster for possibly being slightly simplistic, but you can not blame him for fundamentally distorting the truth.

Germany was defeated by the Russians.

As was Napoleon.

Since when did hippies have anything useful to say about WW2?

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, Richard W said:
On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, 7by7 said:

The Freedom of Movement Directive only applies to EEA nationals and, if they have any, their qualifying non EEA national family members.

Related judgements, included in the UK's EEA Regulation, such as Surinder Singh and Zambrano, allow some close relatives of British citizens to stay or remain.  The non-EEA family members can be expected to get permanent residence cards on completing their 5 years.  Numbers of permanent residence cards issued are currently running at about 10,000 a year (2014: 10,005; 2015: 8,917; 2016: 11,897) - source https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/immigration-statistics-october-to-december-2016/family.  This may includes some repeats - not everyone will naturalise in the first 10 years of permanent residence.

My point was that EU, and EEA, membership does not mean uncontrolled immigration to the UK by non EEA nationals. which is why I began the post you quoted with

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, 7by7 said:

Brexit will have no effect on immigration to the UK by the vast majority of non EEA nationals, whether they be refugees, economic migrants or some other category.

Surinder Singh, Zambrano and similar judgements relate to non EEA national family members of EEA nationals; in the case of Zambrano that EEA national being a child. These judgements apply to all EEA member states, not just the UK. I thought you knew that!

Until Brexit at least, British citizens are EEA nationals. (I say 'Until Brexit at least' because who knows whether or not the UK will remain within the EEA after we leave the EU, or whether or not the UK will also leave the EEA yet agree to remain covered of the FoM post Brexit?)

So, what is your point?

Just now, SheungWan said:

Since when did hippies have anything useful to say about WW2?

Ever since the sixties.

And not limited to WW2.

Vietnam remember?

Or before / after that Cuba?

I could also mention Chile, Granada, Panama,...

Or Afganistan, Syria, Nicaragua, Ohio (hehe get it?), ...

By the way, has the US given amnesty to the American refugees in Sweden and Canada (Vietnam draft) yet?