"Remove these parasites" - Russian "beg-packers" move their con to Chiang Mai

webfact

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

In reality, the 5% of this planet's population that have everything, have it at the expense of the 95% with nothing.

In reality, most people are born with nothing, unless being blessed with rich loving families or inherited wealth.

The majority including me that were born with nothing had to rely on the successful who had made it in life with more wealth to employ us so as we could earn money for our prosperity and become part of society that have some wealth and assets in their lives. There is no such thing as a free ride in this world, we all have to work our ways up the success ladder, that`s how it operates in a democratic society.  I never resent those who have more wealth than me, especially if they have earned it honestly, by hard graft, ambitions to achieve, intelligence and skilled in their occupations. Then I say; good luck to them, they deserve it. 

People sitting in a gutter staring doped eyed like pet dogs expecting some treats, are not the types I can give any credibility or admire or feel sympathy for, just the opposite in fact. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beg-packing has become an increasingly noticeable phenomenon in Thailand recently with many westerners trying to get money by one means or another often to finance their holidays in Asia.

Oh yeah. I know a couple of clowns who for many years living in Thailand, begging for money on the Internet. They should be deported, and the cost to put on the country from where they are. Local authorities forced them to work, when it gets here.

3 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

In reality, the 5% of this planet's population that have everything, have it at the expense of the 95% with nothing.

So now it is the evil 5%...It is growing.  My dad worked for a company, whose roots go back to the world's first tractor factory.  They made a lot of money selling productivity machinery to people that made money and created a stable food supply.  Then came the computer.  The development of cheap computers and their networks have done more for the poor, than all the NGOs ever have, combined.  If you have spent any time around here at all, you know what a bunch of useless fatcat bureaucrats the NGOs are, and about 98% of the missionaries....helping themselves move up the nonprofit ladder.   Value is added and created, maybe that is why it is called value added tax, and not stolen value tax.

12 hours ago, jimster said:

While it may look pathetic, unless they are pestering you and forcing you ton buy, what's the problem? Let the authorities handle this problem. There are plenty many illegals working on the streets of Thailand selling food, clothing and other items but they just happen to be from places like India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia.

Frankly I don't care if Mr. Mohammed from Dhaka who speaks a little Thai and sells me tasty roti in downtown Bangkok has a work permit or not. Not my business. As long as he doesn't interfere in my personal affairs, I won't interfere in his.

"Let the authorities handle this problem."  "I won't interfere in his."

What's your point?  NO ONE here in this thread is suggesting anything different!  The suggestion IS that the authorities should handle it, not any I've seen that you or any other foreigner should. 

If tourists cannot afford to be in Thailand then just go home.  Beggng for any reason is shameful and

the police should take these beggers to where they are staying and tell them pack up and leave Chiang Mai.

Let them know that if they are caught begging in Chiang Mai, they will be deported for being vigrants, then enforce

it  if they are caught begging again.

Geezer

5 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

In reality, most people are born with nothing, unless being blessed with rich loving families or inherited wealth.

The majority including me that were born with nothing had to rely on the successful who had made it in life with more wealth to employ us so as we could earn money for our prosperity and become part of society that have some wealth and assets in their lives. There is no such thing as a free ride in this world, we all have to work our ways up the success ladder, that`s how it operates in a democratic society.  I never resent those who have more wealth than me, especially if they have earned it honestly, by hard graft, ambitions to achieve, intelligence and skilled in their occupations. Then I say; good luck to them, they deserve it. 

People sitting in a gutter staring doped eyed like pet dogs expecting some treats, are not the types I can give any credibility or admire or feel sympathy for, just the opposite in fact. 

You may want to consider that the smartest thing we ever did in our lives was to be born in the right country.  None of the other benefits we have earned would have been possible had we not.

That's not to negate hard work, but no amount of hard work can compare with being born in the right country and to the right parents.  

A post containing a link to content that must be downloaded in order to view the content has been removed.  I think posting links such as this could be dangerous as the content could contain malware or viruses.  Please link to an actual site that contains the content:

15) Any links posted must lead to the website the link indicates. Links that are misleading or direct to a site different than the one indicated are not allowed.

12 hours ago, jimster said:

A work permit is needed yes, but since when is selling photographs "begging"? Are Bengali roti sellers also begging? How about clothes sellers at Nana?

Beggars ask for money without offering anything, buskers play music for money these people are simply illegal workers selling goods on the streets.

"but since when is selling photographs"  they are tourist etc.. selling is consider working, which as you noted need a work permit?  " clothes sellers at Nana "  general done by Thais which one would assume they are local unless the police check and find out they are Cambodian? 

The rest, I guess depends on the laws of Thailand and how they want to apply it?

8 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

"but since when is selling photographs"  they are tourist etc.. selling is consider working, which as you noted need a work permit?  " clothes sellers at Nana "  general done by Thais which one would assume they are local unless the police check and find out they are Cambodian? 

The rest, I guess depends on the laws of Thailand and how they want to apply it?

Agreed, but the point is that there's a difference between offering goods for sale and begging.  Both may be equally illegal, but there is a difference.

And in a culture like Thailand where monks are required to learn to beg, the personal stigma attached to begging isn't nearly as negative as back home where it's done on a more institutional level, like passing the basket in the pews so the minister can eat.  The minister is spared from going house to house with an alms bowl.  But it's still begging.

Three very recent topics; the wall artist, Nate and begging Russians, have a lot of TvisaF members calling for deportation. 

Are they really THAT bad or are (some) members just going OTT?

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

The expats who have all that you mention in your post worked for it. No-one gave it to them nor did they beg for it.

He who only takes and gives or offers nothing in exchange is a parasite. The Russian woman offers photos. Why not buy any? 

What kind of people want to buy photos of a little blond baby girl?  And what kind of mother would be selling them and using their baby to earn money?

How is this even legal?  Why have the police not arrested them and had a look at their visas?  

On 21/07/2017 at 9:43 AM, AGareth2 said:

these are the tourists that should be refused at the borders

Who are you to judge?  

Maybe they had sufficient funds when they crossed the border and then got scammed. The worst scammers I ever came across were Farangs (not Thais), and I keep this in my mind. 

I once was young, and I wanted to travel although I had hardly any money. So, I had to do something about it, like get a job playing the Sahib in Bollywood movies. 

Shit happened to me in Thailand, too, Farangs scammed me out of my pension. Thais gave me credit, and I paid it back. No Farangs would ever believe a word of my story, so you better don't judge. Tomorrow you might be the next one, and then "you don't talk so loud" anymore. 

19 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Trust me, I have absolutely no feelings of guilt whatsoever.  But I have lived here for over 9 years, married to a good Thai woman, and I know how they think.  If they see one drunk foreigner, then in their minds, all foreigners are drunks.  If they see one stupid foreigner, in their minds all foreigners are stupid.  Is that to difficult for you to understand and comprehend? 

So by your logic, if your wife has ever seen a drunken or stupid Farang, she must think you are a stupid drunk!!!

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

He who only takes and gives or offers nothing in exchange is a parasite. The Russian woman offers photos. Why not buy any? 

Why on earth would I or anyone else want a picture of her baby?

Is your quote biblical or something?

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Why on earth would I or anyone else want a picture of her baby?

Is your quote biblical or something?

Some people collect stamps from other countries.  Others collect photos from other cultures.

I don't get either one.  Nor do I begrudge either.  And occasionally, they can both become valuable.

On July 21, 2017 at 9:56 AM, worgeordie said:

Criticism is a bit strong,they are trying to sell photos of the kids,not forcing anyone to buy,

who knows their circumstances,it seems Farangs are more against them than Thai people ,

they are not harming anyone.there but for the grace of God ,go I.

regards Worgeordie

People are advised  NOT to post their children's photos for public Veiw on Facebook etc. perhaps that advise is OTT ' Yet these parents are actually trying to sell photos of their own children.

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

People are advised  NOT to post their children's photos for public Veiw on Facebook etc. perhaps that advise is OTT ' Yet these parents are actually trying to sell photos of their own children.

They are not selling photos of their own Children, they are selling photos of their trip around the World , although their Children may feature in some of the photos

Why is there  an issue with Children in photos ?

I quite often go to the place where he is selling and tourists often take a photo with my Son

23 hours ago, zzidenn said:

Very much agree with you! All that nonsense and generalizing about thai people is much more offensive than selling a few post cards. All my thai friends are very educated, smart and successful, they can easily tell the difference between a Russian, French or German or whatever, just as well as i can easily distinguish between asian nationalities. It seems many people are so caught up in their cliches and outdated ways 

They can easily tell the difference between a Russian, French or German. 

Well they're far cleverer than me. The same as I cannot always tell the difference between people from Loas, Cambodia or Malasia, and those from Thailand. And this after 30 odd years. So you must be very,very clever.

22 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

If they are selling photos they are not begging so this puts them way above the western beggars that just sit down with some BS story and expect people to give them money. They get the photos printed for for 3 baht and sell them for 20 or whatever. That's business. 

If Banksy was doing this under cover as backpacker it would make the news all over the world. Everybody would be rushing round to buy them. That would be cool. But these guys aren't famous and they are Russian so everyone is raging!

I would agree with you, if they were selling merchandise/photos of themselves, or anything. But their children?

Just now, nontabury said:

I would agree with you, if they were selling merchandise/photos of themselves, or anything. But their children?

They are not selling photos of their Children, they are selling photos of their travels in other Countries .

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Who has given this advice ?

Who has told who not to post photos of Children on FB ?

Personnally, nobody. Though just two weeks ago by my children's teacher at an international school. She told me they are advised not to do so. That is why I put OTT or not.

On 7/21/2017 at 9:35 AM, webfact said:

The issue divides the public though Thaivisa notes that it is fair to say that the majority of Thais and foreigners in the kingdom feel that westerners who can afford to fly to Thailand can also afford to fund their own stay

Except, of course, if they have been fleeced by any of the vast number of local parasites making a career out of living off naive tourist visitors during their stay.  The scams work both ways.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Agreed, but the point is that there's a difference between offering goods for sale and begging.  Both may be equally illegal, but there is a difference.

And in a culture like Thailand where monks are required to learn to beg, the personal stigma attached to begging isn't nearly as negative as back home where it's done on a more institutional level, like passing the basket in the pews so the minister can eat.  The minister is spared from going house to house with an alms bowl.  But it's still begging.

Maybe I'm not making myself cleared,  because I'm joking in a way, steering the pot as they say?

I agree with you on all points the only difference it isn't what we think or define, because in the end it is not your home or mines it is their home, and being so, you just don't know or they even don't know the definition?

When you say "monks are required to learn to beg " to them it isn't begging, to me it isn't begging it is a damn racket here. You guys are trying to define what a foreigner is selling or begging, it really is pointless, I agree, but in the end we can vent all we want it is they who define their so call laws.

Archived