Entertainment operators asked to suspend activities throughout October

webfact

1 minute ago, baboon said:

Clearly we are never going to see eye to eye, but I do very much appreciate your not coming to a public conclusion that anybody who sees it the way I do must be some kind of alcoholic sex predator. Kudos to you for that.

Was not my intention at all.  Your points were not dramatic or flippant, so I was just putting my two cents worth in

Cheers

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

Yeah...right!

Send them all home for one month!

The girls, the vendors, the cleaning and security, the barkeepers and waiters!

I guess, there will be large handouts for all those who just stop working for a all of October?!

Or should they just go and live off the land?

No mention of concerns by anyone for the RTP and their families. This could have an serious impact on monthly bar and club insurance revenue and other various "entertainment" extraneous revenue. If they have a budget shortcoming at home then domestic problems might arise. One consequence could be that motorists might have to make up the shortfall. This decision could have an unintended financial impact on many. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What's so hard about turning off the neon signs, dimming the sidewalk lighting, turning off the outside speakers, and keeping the doors closed?

...oh yes and asking the door girls to wear more clothes?

More clothes,?

Pfffft......hot.

Just now, habanero said:

Hardly an unknown Buddhist holiday. It was the last day of Buddhist Lent.

Well none of the Thai buddhists i was out with had a clue about it, iPhones had to come out to check. It is not listed as any type of holiday in diaries or online. So I am not particularly sure how one would even know about it unless you took an actual interest in that type of thing. 

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Who is mandating the toning down if not the military?

Let people show their sentiments or not the way they wish to - why does the concept upset you so? Nobody is seeking to prevent your good self from displaying your piety.

After 20 + years in Thailand piety doesn't come into it. ?

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Yes, yesterday was "Awk Phansa" end of Buddhist Lent, a holiday, but this announcement refers to the funeral of the late King Bhumibol. It will be interesting to see and read more over the coming days.This is not a month for rowdyism and loud music , debauchery and dancing etc.

If the "entertainers" don't work, they won't eat or pay their rent either. Is that fair?

3 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

just shows the kind of girls that work there, they should be at home at this sad time

just my opinion

To understand their situation, you should not eat or pay your rent for however long you consider they should be at home for.

Unless you are intending to support them financially, as no one else will be.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Well none of the Thai buddhists i was out with had a clue about it, iPhones had to come out to check. It is not listed as any type of holiday in diaries or online. So I am not particularly sure how one would even know about it unless you took an actual interest in that type of thing. 

Are you sure you were with Buddhists ?

Not much faith there if they are not aware of one of the key Buddhist dates in the calendar.

Maybe they were confused because it is Lunar....

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Respect is relative, but showing respect in a manner befitting the culture you are within is not. I'm sure there are many different ways of showing respect which differ from culture to culture. If you really want to show respect you should find the way to show respect based on the society you are part of, not what you decide.

Curious, assuming you are not Thai, do you still wai and take your shoes off at appropriate times? Even though these are not your personal ways to show respect (assuming you did not grow up in Thailand).

It is not necessary for non Thais to wai anyone. That subject has been discussed so many times already.

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

A few bars here did the 75% pulled down garage door, lights low, music off, otherwise business as usual. There was a huge police road stop within a rocks throw. Zero fecks given, as usual.

That's what I love about this place. Unfortunately, it's also what I hate.

Up in the fun banned city of Chiang Mai, the bars were closed on Loi Kroh Rd, period! None of the behind closed doors of more enlightened cities.

Mind you, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference from them being closed or open. When the deity was giving out the "sanook" genes, he forgot to hand them out to the C M city authorities.

It's only 8.52 pm and although I'm but a stone's throw from Loi Kroh, there is narry a stray musical note disturbing the dead zone.

It would almost be possible to say that closing everything for the mourning would make sod all difference, as it's virtually deceased already.

When the small, tourist devoid town of Lamphun has a better night life than C M, something has gone very, very wrong.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

No one is talking about shutting the whole place down. Just stop the loud music for a week or two and keep things going inside where it's not in everyones face and ears.

Not hard to do in my book.

Read the OP. It's not just a week or two. It's the entire month, or what's left of it. None of the workers in those venues can afford to take a month off, and the owners are not going to pay them if there are no customers.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Read the OP. It's not just a week or two. It's the entire month, or what's left of it. None of the workers in those venues can afford to take a month off, and the owners are not going to pay them if there are no customers.

Tomorrow I'll pay my annual visit to the local bar area and post back.

4 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

I won't mind shutting things down a bit while I go pay homage to the king for Oct.

There goes Halloween.  As long as the US and Thailand get an agreement on turkey imports by middle of next month...

Read that rimplings supermarket are charging one thousand baht a kilo this year.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Tomorrow I'll pay my annual visit to the local bar area and post back.

Give it a few days before checking. There is bound to be a HUGE amount of anger if they just send the BIB out to close everything cold turkey. They don't need bargirls demonstrating on the streets at this time.

The naga showed itself in the Mekong last night much to the delight of the thousands that lined the banks on both sides of the river up Nong Khai way. For those fortunate to witness the naga it brings good luck. A lot of people said they saw it.

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Read the OP.  Says nothing about every venue shutting down, nor for the entire month.  It talks vaguely about a scaling back, and nothing specific apart from that.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Same here my mrs did not have a clue she said it was something to do with rainy season finishing and was quite put out later  when she found she couldn't buy beer in 7/11

7 minutes ago, poohy said:

Same here my mrs did not have a clue she said it was something to do with rainy season finishing and was quite put out later  when she found she couldn't buy beer in 7/11

Presumably your missus is not Buddhist.

If she is, and for smutcakes so-called Buddhist friends, download this as a reminder:-

https://www.urbandharma.org/udharma6/2004cal.html

Edited by Jip99

14 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Read the OP.  Says nothing about every venue shutting down, nor for the entire month.  It talks vaguely about a scaling back, and nothing specific apart from that.

From the OP.

seek cooperation from operators of entertainment business to suspend entertainment activities throughout October

What does SUSPEND mean in your dictionary?

Google dictionary defines it as

1.temporarily prevent from continuing or being in force or effect.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Presumably your missus is not Buddhist.

oh yes she is!! well shes Thai,  a 55 year old one, albeit certainly not overly pious (actually hates the orange blokes with passion ) and worked  and lived in southern thailand for many years

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

From the OP.

seek cooperation from operators of entertainment business to suspend entertainment activities throughout October

What does SUSPEND mean in your dictionary?

Google dictionary defines it as

1.temporarily prevent from continuing or being in force or effect.

Oh, are we going to be this pedantic??

From the OP.

He said that entertainment and festive activities should be scaled down

Of course they are going to suspend some activities.  Koh Phangan just had their monthly Full Moon Party cancelled out of respect, and in line with requests to SUSPEND entertainment activities.  But apart from that, its business as usual.

Other places will follow similar paths.

Not going to be so childish as to give you a Google dictionary definition of scaled down.  I'm sure you and other forum member can figure that out.

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

oh yes she is!! well shes Thai,  a 55 year old one, albeit certainly not overly pious (actually hates the orange blokes with passion ) and worked  and lived in southern thailand for many years

I doubt most Thais are any more Buddhist than westerners in a so called Christian country are Christian.

2 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Oh, are we going to be this pedantic??

Yes. If they say they want to suspend all entertainment ( bet they don't shut down the movies or a single hotel bar ) I would wager that is what they want to do.

However, wiser heads may prevail, hopefully.