Corruption Street: 'I'm so tired of it,' says PEBA President

snoop1130

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

Prices on Bangla Rd are more expensive than the West.
I understand that they pay bribes and and huge rent and that gets passed on to the tourist.
I'm just wondering if the bribes stop, will the prices go down? It's a logical question.

It doesn't affect me whatsoever. I don't frequent the place but I want Phuket to succeed. Its pricing itself out of the tourist market.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If the beer was so expensive so that it leads to that they are pricing themselfs out of the tourist market, you don´t think they would see that in loss of custmers?

37 minutes ago, Get Real said:

If the beer was so expensive so that it leads to that they are pricing themselfs out of the tourist market, you don´t think they would see that in loss of custmers?

Is Bangla the same as walking Street....... Lots of people going up and down but not spending in the bars. 

35 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Is Bangla the same as walking Street....... Lots of people going up and down but not spending in the bars. 

Can be like that and sometimes is, sometimes isn't. No logic to the ebb and flow into the bars, but seeing more in the bars as we near the "high season".........whatever that will turn out like??

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

Why anyone wants to go to phuket is beyond me. You can party all night in the PI and drink san mig at 28 baht, locul rum 15 baht, no language barriers and a far better time with outstanding beaches

Yes but the local food is not very nice. And that is not a tourist spot price there either.

28 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Yes but the local food is not very nice. And that is not a tourist spot price there either.

Filipino food not nice,  have you ever tried Flipper food, its fantastic, maybe not such a variety as here but still very good with cantinas selling lovely meals for 40 pesos. If a bar on a well know beach is not a tourist spot... Please tell me what is.

10 hours ago, sebastion said:

Prices on Bangla Rd are more expensive than the West.

Bottled Thai Beers range from 49 to 150

Bottled Western beers ( excluding things like Corona) 80-180

Draught 60 up

Spirits from 80-200 (excluding high end premium stuff)

These are main street Bangla prices, off there lower end prices are even more common and even lower can be found.

Not that many places in west cheaper and never seen any in prime destinations/hot spots.

And curious thing, generally is more expensive places that are busyist.

Bangla/Patong is full on, in your face destination for tourists here for few weeks, not year round expats on a budget who want same price as their quite backwater wateringhole that probably pays less that 20k month rent vs Bangla rents in hundreds of thousands

Edited by Lashay

25 minutes ago, Lashay said:

Bottled Thai Beers range from 49 to 150

Bottled Western beers ( excluding things like Corona) 80-180

Draught 60 up

Spirits from 80-200 (excluding high end premium stuff)

These are main street Bangla prices, off there lower end prices are even more common and even lower can be found.

Not that many places in west cheaper and never seen any in prime destinations/hot spots.

And curious thing, generally is more expensive places that are busyist.

Bangla/Patong is full on, in your face destination for tourists here for few weeks, not year round expats on a budget who want same price as their quite backwater wateringhole that probably pays less that 20k month rent vs Bangla rents in hundreds of thousands

But considering coats such as labour compared to the West, Bangla is as you can see very expensive... 

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

But considering coats such as labour compared to the West, Bangla is as you can see very expensive... 

The only cost that is cheaper is labour...by individual, but have you noticed most bars here (Actually most service buisness regardless of industry) ) are overstaffed? There is a reason for that and it's not because labour is cheap (No buisness like a to waste money) but rather quality and dependability of staff.

Then on top, bars in places like Bangla have extra costs in the 'hosttess' (basic salarys now range from 10 to 22k)

25-40 seater bar open 8 hours in UK will generally have 3-4 staff (And be considered overstaffed). Thats about £200 per night

Same bar here: 6-7 staff, 10 ladies. Using mid range salarys of 10k for staff and 12k for girls per month. That's 6k per night, or £137.(And remember those lady drinks that made your bill so high? Girl is getting about half the price of each of those,before costs)

Once all this factored in labour costs are not THAT much cheaper.

And if you compare to USA, where many bar staff work only for tips or below min wage labour costs here are expencive

Edited by Lashay

On 11/24/2017 at 10:00 PM, trogers said:

That's why God understand the nature of men and carved the Ten Commandments in stone.

If I had such a poor designer that would need to carve in stone the rules to overcomes his deficiencies as a designer of his creation, I'd fire him on the spot and take another designer...

15 minutes ago, ozterix said:

If I had such a poor designer that would need to carve in stone the rules to overcomes his deficiencies as a designer of his creation, I'd fire him on the spot and take another designer...

Satan might be your choice...

The unspoken assumption by the PEBA guy in the article is that he/they can rely on the police in BKK.

But my unspoken assumption is, what reason would he have to assume that the bribery money all of them are paying somehow stops at the province line, and doesn't manage to filter its way up the chain of command to you know where.

How many years did he say they'd been complaining to officials in Bangkok about the whole situation, and how many years had absolutely nothing been done in response to their complaints?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

20 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Not really. many cities don't have the corruption problems of Patong. For example, 

Ubon Ratchathani population is about 15X the size of Patong. The place is practically dead by 10 PM.

I think you may be a little confused with statistics.

You probably meant to say there are about 15 people in Ubon.

On 12/9/2017 at 12:34 AM, geriatrickid said:

Not really. many cities don't have the corruption problems of Patong. For example, 

Ubon Ratchathani population is about 15X the size of Patong. The place is practically dead by 10 PM.

While I agree in principle that not all cities are plagued by corruption, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Corruption is directly related to opportunity. How many millions of baht do the bars in Ubon take in each night?  Lots of opportunity in Patong, not so much in Udon.

Had a bunch of people I know visit Patong the last few nights.  At the Ping Pong shows, they dropped 30K for 30 tequila shots..  Seeing as Ping Pong shows are illegal, yet it goes on blatantly, the Bib's must do quite well on the PP shows at these prices.

They also told me they saw signs stating that premises were open until 4.

Edited by steelepulse

On 11/24/2017 at 7:00 AM, trogers said:

That's why God understand the nature of men and carved the Ten Commandments in stone.

He's God.

Why didn't he just snap his fingers and see it published as a book?

Much more convenient than stone.

17 hours ago, DrDave said:

While I agree in principle that not all cities are plagued by corruption, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Corruption is directly related to opportunity. How many millions of baht do the bars in Ubon take in each night?  Lots of opportunity in Patong, not so much in Udon.

Ubon....

• 2 weeks later...