Thai shop owner angry that I parked in front of her shop.

doggie1955

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To be honest - I don't think 'we' do have a bad name here...  Fortunately the Thai's surrounding us are intuitive and intelligent enough to judge us foreigners on our individual merits and its usually based up on how each situation is individually approached...

------

Perhaps the Woman who confronts the Op is mad... perhaps the situation could not be handled politely. 

In a very similar situation a few years ago an older lady started complaining to me that I'd parked outside her Shop... I explained... "I'm sorry Auntie, can I park here for 30 minutes, I'll be quick" with a wai and a smile... she smiled back...  

.... Now of course, this mitigating behavior would not work in every situation and I have to be in a rather happy mood to get away with such things... However, what I have found is that when I am happy, smiley and easy going the response is usually more favorable.... when I am in a very sh!tty mood other things start to go against me...  As I'm happier more than I am upset things generally go my way... 

Solution in this case: Ignore the lady - totally ignore her. Next time he knows he needs to park there have something ready to give her... a small bag of cookies etc.... and watch her melt - explain that he's just parking there for 5 minutes... 

There is no point trying to win, there is no winning in cases like this... there is simply playing along which makes life so much less stressful... It takes two a-holes to make an issue... 

Undoubtably legally the woman is in the wrong, but as you and I well know this is Thailand and she will never be judged wrong. Suffice to say it doesn't warrant calling her ting tong by a man who I guess is intellectually and better educated than her. She does not know any better, he should, at the end of the day we are guests in their country and should act accordingly.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Whatever happen to common sense and being polite by not parking in front of her shop. ?

For one thing ....  the exhaust fumes would be pretty smelly and annoying to her and any customers.She is trying to make a living with her shop and you parking there will block any traffic from seeing her shop.Would it be the end of the world if you just acknowledged parking in front is inconsiderate and you parked a few doors along ? 

If you look at the video you will see me walking out of the vet clinic, and only the back end of my truck is right up on the sign.

90% of my truck was in front of the vet's.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ting Tong.... I've only ever heard that phrase used by uneducated bar girls... never in normal speech amongst my Thai friends or in and around Bangkok.... 

I can't remember the last time I even heard the phrase until this Video.

Is this an indication of where the Op has learned his Thai ?

I've heard it on regular Thai television.

Stand your ground OP,  Old “ting tong” lost face by her abuse in the first instance.

Am sick of “Thai Culture” apologists excusing bad behaviour bordering illegality.

This example and many others of Thai Culture is not culture, but introduced recent ignorance/ aggression spanning from the last four decades.

Vehicle keyed or tyres shredded, flip side cooking oil burns well.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:55 PM, smutcakes said:

Why are you antagonizing them calling them tong tong. What is inflaming the situation going to do, if you need to park there and there is no where else to park convenient why dont you just go about your business normally?

If you are allowed to park there then fine, park there but what can you possibly gain by standing there calling them ting tong. If you have been here for a while you must be aware that nothing good is going to come from it and they are not simply going to change their minds and welcome you parking there.

Personally if there was anywhere remotely convenient to park elsewhere i would do. Life is to short to be getting into petty little squabbles with the locals even if you are strictly in the right.

And no one cares if you are a US army Vet, i am not even sure why you need to mention it.

"And no one cares if you are a US army Vet,"

Why do you feel entitled to speak for everyone else? Delusions of grandeur?

2 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Am sick of “Thai Culture” apologists excusing bad behaviour bordering illegality.

If the OP is correct and these people are loan sharking, then the "bad behaviour bordering illegality" is to be expected as their very occupation is that of criminals  (loan sharking is absolutely illegal).

4 hours ago, doggie1955 said:

I go to this clinic about once a week, and before all this happen I had her husband get in my truck and take it out of gear and push my truck out of his so-called space. Then one night he tried to follow me home to see where I lived, which I spotted the tail. Late I checked my truck cam which has front & rear cam on it. The Vet told me the oil hhe sells in front of the shop is just a front for her loan shark business, so he needs the front area open so all the people come by to pay off there daily interest on their loan.

For me, I just had it with the BS with both of them...

So not the first time you've parked in front of their shop? Well done, you got a death wish or something?

Edited by grollies

46 minutes ago, grollies said:

Says Dazinoz, sorry, couldn't resist the irony.

Where is the irony? Did I play the card?

Or are you referring to my name? Was set up in Oz well before I moved here.

Edited by Dazinoz

2 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Where is the irony? Did I play the card?

Or are you referring to my name? Was set up in Oz well before I moved here.

Is that really you in that photo?

But, calling yourself Dazinoz kinda hints that you are posting from there....n'est pas?

Why not change to Dazinthailand? 

1 hour ago, grollies said:

But, calling yourself Dazinoz kinda hints that you are posting from there....n'est pas?

Why not change to Dazinthailand? 

Like I said I started posting from Australia and hence the name. Been here 4 1/2 years.

Why should I change it? You seem to be the only one concerned about it.

19 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

First question: there's a fair chance she would have done. If you've never heard Thais letting other Thais have it in these kinds of situations, then you need to get out more. 
Second question: some would, some wouldn't. Some would handle it in a much better way than the OP, and a few, but I bet it would only be a few, would end up in a more confrontational situation than the OP.

Total BS

19 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The veterinary clinic  can  lay claim to the same parking space since it is a business with equal claim, if not greater since it is providing a valuable service. In Thailand, the veterinarian occupies a higher social status than this  vendor of artery clogging oil. If one wishes to play the  Thai culture card, then the woman should be silent as per her station in life.

Was he parked directly in front of the clinic?  The veterinary wasn't involved, why bring him or her into this?

My point was the way he mentioned being a vet, and doing 'good work', irrelevant and in no way justifies the way he insulted this woman. Was he an employee of the exulted vets.... both of them? No. You believe this lowly woman should just keep quiet.....?  She was grouchy and to me it sounds like he was arrogant. I try not to park in front of food stalls in my nearby 7-11 car park, mindful it impedes their business.

Idiotic, stubborn old geezer.

Nobody gives a hoot that you are a US Army Vet - nor does that entitle you to anything.

Keep doing what you're doing though - you seem to have a death wish and at the rate you're going,

it may just come true.

7 minutes ago, varun said:

Idiotic, stubborn old geezer.

Nobody gives a hoot that you are a US Army Vet - nor does that entitle you to anything.

Keep doing what you're doing though - you seem to have a death wish and at the rate you're going,

it may just come true.

Yes, life insurance companies dont pay out with death by suicide. The OP though needs to up the ante for that to happen. :smile:

On 11/12/2017 at 8:39 AM, SpokaneAl said:

I find this troubling on many levels. Legally she does not own the street, but morally, she is trying to make a living and parking a pickup in front of her shopfront can affect her sales. She does not seem to be particularly wealthy and I would suspect that she, like many small shop owners, is hoping to make enough to make ends meet.

I would politely ask her if I could park there, and if she agreed, would probably buy a couple bottles of her cooking oil as I got ready to leave.

And I would not even consider videoing the encounter and using my limited Thai to call her names. Just not a very classy response.

i'd add that if you intent to lie here then take the time to learn some of the language so at least you can communicate in a calm and respectful way instead of using slang to offend and potentially antagonise someone.

imaginefor a moment you are back home, you are not wealthy but you have a small business that with your hard work manages to provide you with a living. some foreigner comes along, parks in front of your business which may negatively affect your business, this person does not speak or understand english except for some basic slang. how would you feel?

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i'd add that if you intent to lie here then take the time to learn some of the language so at least you can communicate in a calm and respectful way instead of using slang to offend and potentially antagonise someone.

imaginefor a moment you are back home, you are not wealthy but you have a small business that with your hard work manages to provide you with a living. some foreigner comes along, parks in front of your business which may negatively affect your business, this person does not speak or understand english except for some basic slang. how would you feel?

Welcome.

3003, It seems though that neither of the 2 could understand each other. Nothing new overhere. Miscommunication is the ongoing name of the game in this beautiful land.

9 minutes ago, samsensam said:

Very well summarised. 

11 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Like I said I started posting from Australia and hence the name. Been here 4 1/2 years.

Why should I change it? You seem to be the only one concerned about it.

Sorry mate, of course you are entitled to call yourself whatever you like.

23 hours ago, thurien said:

just get away from trouble and be happy they didn't shoot you

<deleted>, “ting tong” doesn’t own the road in this business area. Fact, from OP says there are at least two businesses.

Pay your due to Municipality and guarantee parking in front of your premises or sod off and free for all.

I think this entire issue boils down to one thing, respect for Thai people.  Where I come from (USA) you can park in front of any store without causing any problems.  But, this is Thailand and Thai customs need to be understood and respected by visiting foreigners.  Many times I've wanted to park in front of a Thai shop because there was space to park.  But my wife has informed me that that is not respectful of the shop owner.  As much as I didn't want to have to find a different place to park, I agreed to respect Thai customs.  As many have already said, I think the OP would have had a better result if he smiled and asked politely if he could park a little in front of the lady's shop.  I think he would have been surprised at the favorable response.  If she denied his request, so what ... move on and forget about it.  He should remember that we farangs are all guests in this country and what is normal back home isn't always normal here.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:27 AM, rickb said:

I think this entire issue boils down to one thing, respect for Thai people.  Where I come from (USA) you can park in front of any store without causing any problems.  But, this is Thailand and Thai customs need to be understood and respected by visiting foreigners.  Many times I've wanted to park in front of a Thai shop because there was space to park.  But my wife has informed me that that is not respectful of the shop owner.  As much as I didn't want to have to find a different place to park, I agreed to respect Thai customs.  As many have already said, I think the OP would have had a better result if he smiled and asked politely if he could park a little in front of the lady's shop.  I think he would have been surprised at the favorable response.  If she denied his request, so what ... move on and forget about it.  He should remember that we farangs are all guests in this country and what is normal back home isn't always normal here.

First of all, this is not a Thai custom ...Just like one time I had a cab driver tells me it would be 300 baht for my ride, but the ride should have been 120 baht. But he told me...Thai custom for Farangs! I think it was 5 yrs ago when that young girl hit that van and killed 9 Thai's, and never did go to jail. I was told by a Thai that it was Thai custom...Thai custom are BS here in Thailand.

Edited by doggie1955

On 12/13/2017 at 5:27 PM, rickb said:

In USA there would probably be a sidewalk for pedestrians and it would be easy see and to enter the shop. Often, in Thailand, if someone parks in front of a shop, it makes it very difficult to get in and simple to not notice at all. There is a legitimate reason why some shop owners do not want non-customers blocking their shops, but one can understand how frustrating it is for car owners too.