Noisy bar in quiet neighbourhood, people moving out...

mat999

tl;dr - are we helpless about noisy neighbours in Thailand?

We live on a quiet road, except for traffic in the day. There is a bar which is respectful and never causes noise- they pull the stutter down and turn the music down at a reasonable hour. Then there is a cheap local BBQ place which acts as a bar for party goers and junkies when real bars close, between 1am and 6am. They have no respect for noise and their wide open space seems to amplify their voices. Most of the time people are in the street as the BBQ is outside. It is a bit of a hangout place outside with many motorbikes lining up (some of which are the very loud ones).

Everyone seems to be high or drunk - if you were to watch for a few minutes you would realise as there is a constant stream of wobbly guys and "ladies of the night" falling over and stumbling around. They generally communicate by shouting. There are regular very loud arguments which spill into the road and sometimes these become running battles between a few people on each side. It is amusing as they start falling over each other. This must be the real bottom of the barrel scum of Chiang Mai. It's like one long shouting session all night.

A nice elderly family next door but one is moving out today as they have reached the end of their tether. Someone two doors from our apartment moved out the other day. Is moving away the only option? We have of course called the police, visited the police and asked our landlord, who said nothing can be done. We suspect they have a policeman or military man in the family. The Thai neighbours won't even speak about it i.e. they have been intimidated. 

Any ideas what could help? Our local police are either being intimidated or they are getting paid, so keep going back to them is useless. The police station is a small one just 150 meters away- they know full well what is happening. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

It is Morakot Road in Santitham. It was confirmed that the family who moved out today were advised to leave their house by the police because they were complaining too much. I am going to try the "Contact police HQ in Bangkok" advice above before quitting. 

• Like 1

Generally speaking, this area has a lot of Thai students and young Thai kids. Even has a 24 hour computer game place on the opposite corner near that tiny police station. My suggestion would be to move to one of the many other rentable rooms in that area. Morakaot has that new few years old mansion 110 meters from Santisuk rd, and the small street going up with more rentable rooms. Lots of open space on that corner right there.  Be careful with making waves locally as you are probably known to be the loudest complainer and that can get around very easy..

BTW. this area has always been lively at night for over the 18 years I have stayed in CM

• Like 1

11 hours ago, punchjudy said:

go down and confront the bar owner and customers and let them know how you feel about this noise pollution.

ow u are a bit suicidal or not? medical care in thailand is cheap, but not for free

how many somchais can you take on alone? never seen a fair fight in thailand

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Be careful with making waves locally as you are probably known to be the loudest complainer and that can get around very easy..

I once complained about noise so frequently to other tenants in the building I was renting in they let me out of my lease and refunded my deposit (I was embarrassing them I guess). Living in the city sucks IMHO and if you like quiet it's high time to move out. I gave up on the city in CM about 6 years when I had my last straw.

9 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I once complained about noise so frequently to other tenants in the building I was renting in they let me out of my lease and refunded my deposit (I was embarrassing them I guess). Living in the city sucks IMHO and if you like quiet it's high time to move out. I gave up on the city in CM about 6 years when I had my last straw.

Paper thin walls and CM is all about kids renting for schools for the most part. Choose your place to rent wisely, move, or buy a house or condo in a inspected area.

16 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Paper thin walls and CM is all about kids renting for schools for the most part. Choose your place to rent wisely, move, or buy a house or condo in a inspected area.

I was being stupid and thought I could live in a noisy area (the building was brand new and pretty nice for that time in CM). There were other tourists there also and everyone was shocked how noisy it was at all hours of the night. It wasn't even the buildings fault as such but that the road traffic and shops that were loud all night even on the 5th floor. I then moved out the country and got blasted by noise by the village intercom, temple and chickens so there's no way to win in Thailand I guess. One thing for certain is I will never buy land here unless it's 50 rai and I could construct a 10 foot tall wall around the entire property.

2 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I was being stupid and thought I could live in a noisy area (the building was brand new and pretty nice for that time in CM). There were other tourists there also and everyone was shocked how noisy it was at all hours of the night. It wasn't even the buildings fault as such but that the road traffic and shops that were loud all night even on the 5th floor. I then moved out the country and got blasted by noise by the village intercom, temple and chickens so there's no way to win in Thailand I guess. One thing for certain is I will never buy land here unless it's 50 rai and I could construct a 10 foot tall wall around the entire property.

I guess I have had better luck than you all these years. Also my newly built home is a dream in a new housing development. No security guard type and very quiet. Doesn't mean I don't have to keep the have money mountain people next to me in check, but we are all allowed to make noise sometimes. .

QUOTE: One thing for certain is I will never buy land here unless it's 50 rai and I could construct a 10 foot tall wall around the entire property. 

that sounded funny to me how you wrote it. Like a Bin Laden syndrome. Just joking. 

37 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I asked the Mrs and this is probably a more logical way to deal with it, the way Thai people would if they understood the systems:

"Tell the people go to the provincial army court

In Thai, called "Soon Dham Rong Tham"

Then the army can help with that case

If army do not do anything then tell them to send a letter to the governor and the governor will then manage it
If all fails get the media involved (just go to their Facebook pages), the official way of doing things suddenly starts working. This is because they have projects like 'Channel 7 helping people', they enjoy doing stories on things police/army fail to manage" 

From my experience with the local army tribunals they will put restrictions/times on when the place can be open and when it has to be closed by. 

agreed. going to the cops is a waste of time .

report it to the army , they will respond.

i know this to be fact because of twice being raided for noise complaints at my restaurnt in loi kroh rd. 

the army carnt be bourght off with brown envelopes.

3 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

agreed. going to the cops is a waste of time .

report it to the army , they will respond.

i know this to be fact because of twice being raided for noise complaints at my restaurnt in loi kroh rd. 

the army carnt be bourght off with brown envelopes.

Also the police have to respect the army a little bit more. We had issues in our area with trucks refusing to pay the road tax (tax to fix all the pot holes). The trucking companies rang up the local council and threatened them as the council didn't let up on asking them to pay. Then some police rang up the council and said leave them alone (as that specific police department was on the take). The Mayor of the municipality (who is ex army), just said ' it is the law that you pay, research my name and I expect a public apology and payment tomorrow'. The next day the taxes were paid with an apology in front of the council staff.

Army are not great in terms of the overall forward vision of the country, but they can help with many things if people take their 'hating' blinkers off and actually utilise them. 

• Like 1