Sukhumvit’s Chuvit Garden To Be Paved Over For Mall

webfact

Sukhumvit’s Chuvit Garden To Be Paved Over For Mall

By  Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

13627959831362796107l-560x420-1.jpg

Former Bangkok Gov. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, at left, walks with Chuvit Kamolvisit in Chuvit Garden in an undated file photo. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — A downtown pocket park owned by a former politician who served jail time for demolishing its former tenants’ businesses has been sold to a developer.

Chuvit Garden, a small private park at Soi Sukhumvit 10 owned by politician-turned-talk show host Chuvit Kamolvisit, has been sold to Land and Houses Co. Ltd. to build a mixed-use commercial project.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/01/18/sukhumvits-chuvit-garden-paved-mall/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-01-18

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrific. 

He owns it so I guess can assign the purpose of use within the confines of the law,  but this was one of the last open relaxing places in the Sukhumvit area.  I specifically stayed in hotels in this part of Sukhumvit because it was a place I could sit and talk with friends. A great landmark and a huge loss to what is already a massively overpopulated area. 

Soon,  the places those of us have grown up knowing in the area (good and bad)  it seems will make way for things less familiar to us as Westerners -  God and Buddha alike know that the last thing lower Sukhumvit needs is another behemoth shopping mall, laying virtually empty for a good part of the year in Thai terms of foot traffic. 

Chuvit should be in jail for the way he steamrolled that place 15 years ago. He only made it a park as he was banned from developing it and was running for public office. He is a vile creature, a wife beater a rat and a con man, as corrupt as they come. Would love to see Karma catch up with him.

24 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Chuvit should be in jail for the way he steamrolled that place 15 years ago. He only made it a park as he was banned from developing it and was running for public office. He is a vile creature, a wife beater a rat and a con man, as corrupt as they come. Would love to see Karma catch up with him.

He DID do jail time for bulldozing the beer bars. 

Right, what that place needs is another bloody shopping mall.. 
Strangely enough it does. Build them and the people keep coming. T21 is always packed and getting a meal often requires long ques at the resteraunts.

It's not fair to criticize the owner. It's private land and he is entitled to what's going to be a monumental profit. Any sensible person would do the same thing

In the the link below, there was mention of turning Pathumwan into a clean-air environment, which borders this area. Classic Thailand. Left-hand, right-hand. Total shambles. :omfg:

Well, well, well, very chequered career this land has had. Used to drink there in one of my mates bars.

Chuwit demolished all the bars in the middle of the night,,, I watched it from my balcony.

House & Land do it quickly as was  a bloody eyesore yesterday

the whole thing was just spin to deflect the outcry after he sent hired army goons in to evict stall and business holders. 

he "dontated" the park, served his time, and now that he is well established in other ways he is confident the heat has died down enough to make money off of it as he had always planned.

the park was not open other than early morning and late evening, and was all but useless to people living in the area. 

as i have said before, I used to walk my daughter by it every day from school and she always asked why we could not use the park.

anyone who though for a second his move in offering it up as park land was anything other than a ploy is deluded.

Amazing what rich people with the lion's share of money can accomplish.  Probably some much richer government officials now too no doubt!  That was I nice place, well, 10 years ago when I lived in BKK.  But if it's private land, it's the owner's discretion what to do with it. And getting in on the sexy massage business back in the day obviously can make you a lot of hay!  :thumbsup:  Another 10 years, and enough monetary lubricant, maybe we'll be seeing the new PM here.  Heck, dude's got a TV show. Got the public eye, even my wife likes him.  Ah-huh! :biggrin:

Edited by connda

5 hours ago, toughlove said:

I wonder what TV posters would do if they inherited it.... Exactly!

For me i would keep it as a park but you can only use it with a membershipcard and pay me a yearly fee for it.

I would make the park stunning though, i don't see flowers or waterfalls on the pics, i would have those.

Without enough parcs i would never live downtown BKK in that dirty air. Guess many condo-owners from there will move to the nice moobaans soon if they really miss a parc and clean air/no noise.

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What a shame! To be demolished for another useless, large mall of luxury brand outlets, where you regularly see 12 people walking around on 6 floors, disoriented, with only 1 or two actually buying something there...

If you read the story, the development will mostly be offices and a hotel. The retail was the smallest component of the three.  So, apparently not a mall, according to the story.

11 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

He was jailed!  He's done his sentence.  You should try to keep up.

11 hours ago, Wiggy said:

In the the link below, there was mention of turning Pathumwan into a clean-air environment, which borders this area. Classic Thailand. Left-hand, right-hand. Total shambles. :omfg:

Pathumwan is not KlongToey and who says that the Chuvit Park area is not (going to be) a clean air environment, maybe Pathumwan is trying to keep up with Klong Toey? 

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Nothing much wrong with Bangkok's air.

Drive a motocy through the city while wearing a new white blouse...it's grey after one day.

Do you know why Thai pick their nose nonstop? Because there's loads of crap in there from your clean air.

7 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Malls you have less than 5 years left and then see them fall, eCommerce will take over just wait and see.

Your right,I don't think many spend much in them these days anyway, the food courts and cinemas do well, that's about it, and they are good to go in to get out of the heat

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Pathumwan is not KlongToey and who says that the Chuvit Park area is not (going to be) a clean air environment, maybe Pathumwan is trying to keep up with Klong Toey? 

Could you point out where I said Pathumwan is Klong Toey? 

I fail to see how a mall (or similar) will promote a more clean-air environment over a park.