Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 minute ago, aright said:

This is code for I only answer questions in my comfort zone.

Three choices: don't answer (team Brexit) , answer and B/S/guess (team Brexit), don't participate - I chose the latter.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Ah, so now you're just a bloke and not a distinguished professor!

Your remarks about wanting to look both ways to understand what you might be moving towards are also laughable, as a group you have tried to destroy any representation of the financial scenario Brexit might involve and you're failed to present your own scenario at a detailed level, what do you do, read tea leaves!

More childish deflection and obfuscation....no attempt to answer questions

8 minutes ago, aright said:

More childish deflection and obfuscation....no attempt to answer questions

Keep going, it's only completing the picture of you that 111 followers have already figured out.

I'm going to leave you to it, this is getting seriously dire and I'm worried dundee and oldlakey might get RSI later!

Edited by simoh1490
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Keep going, it's only completing the picture of you that 111 followers have already figured out.

I'm going to leave you to it, this is getting seriously dire and I'm worried dundee might get RSI later!

:smile:

13 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Ah, so now you're just a bloke and not a distinguished professor!

Your remarks about wanting to look both ways to understand what you might be moving towards are also laughable, as a group you have tried to destroy any representation of the financial scenario Brexit might involve and you're failed to present your own scenario at a detailed level, what do you do, read tea leaves!

How is looking both ways relative to just one element of your one-sided argument?

Tea leaves and crystal balls are Mystic Meg's department. Call her.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I ask myself, are these the comments of an "Emeritus Research Professor at the LSE" during debate, hmmmm!

Keep sending people to Coventry and that will eventually be your only entertainment

Mr Gag

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm going to leave you to it, this is getting seriously dire and I'm worried dundee and oldlakey might get RSI later!

I had to bend down several times to pick your dummies up my good man hence the backache 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I want to register my protest of being an edited after thought 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

I wonder if any of the remain supporters are prepared to watch and listen to the whole of this video, or are their minds so closed.

I started to watch and then stopped, I can't watch anything on any subject that is so anti-everything apart from what they are preaching - does nobody present balanced objective arguments any longer.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The trade deficit with non-EU countries has widened to £6.4 bill., much of it being fuel imports during a very cold winter. It's also worth mentioning that the money supply continues to shrink, a firm indication of lean times ahead:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-trade-deficit-latest-updates-brexit-non-eu-exports-drop-a8299071.html

These points are only worth noting in the context of a deteriorating economic environment going into Brexit, at a minimum, it's unhelpful, at a maximum it substantially increases economic risk if Brexit does not go well.

In a second article, the CBI says: "the economic benefits for diverging from EU rules and regulations will be “vastly outweighed” by the costs of Brexit, the CBI has warned in its latest call on the Government to push for a soft Brexit".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/04/11/benefits-brexit-divergence-vastly-outweighed-costs-claims-cbi/

Edited by simoh1490

6 hours ago, nontabury said:

I wonder if any of the remain supporters are prepared to watch and listen to the whole of this video, or are their minds so closed.

I really tried. Really 

I was reaching for the bucket after four minutes

Dont the Brexiters have ANY bright people to make their case? ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The trade deficit with non-EU countries has widened to £6.4 bill., much of it being fuel imports during a very cold winter. It's also worth mentioning that the money supply continues to shrink, a firm indication of lean times ahead:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-trade-deficit-latest-updates-brexit-non-eu-exports-drop-a8299071.html

These points are only worth noting in the context of a deteriorating economic environment going into Brexit, at a minimum, it's unhelpful, at a maximum it substantially increases economic risk if Brexit does not go well.

In a second article, the CBI says: "the economic benefits for diverging from EU rules and regulations will be “vastly outweighed” by the costs of Brexit, the CBI has warned in its latest call on the Government to push for a soft Brexit".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/04/11/benefits-brexit-divergence-vastly-outweighed-costs-claims-cbi/

Why are our exports down even with a weaker pound? This does not bode well

24 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Why are our exports down even with a weaker pound? This does not bode well

I don't think there's a single headline reason although the high level of fuel imports is a major factor rather than reduced exports.  Another factor may be that rising import costs affect the raw materials and part-finished goods that UK factories buy in from abroad, meaning they do not feel the full benefit of the weaker pound. Another may be the severity of cold weather since New Year which impacts production levels, along with an increase in imported fuel prices. Here's an extract from last quarters ONS report on this subject which is strikingly similar to this quarters headline:

1. The widening of the trade in goods deficit was due to increases in imports and decreases in exports, from and to non-EU countries, in the three months to January 2018

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/january2018#main-points

Edited by simoh1490
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I really tried. Really 

Don't the Brexiters have ANY bright people to make their case? ?

I am always bright, just born like it....singing.gif.a093c5d113b4b1a7559a0ab303e92e45.gif

• Haha 2

I really tried. Really 

Dont the Brexiters have ANY bright people to make their case? [emoji85]

I watched about 15mins and was about to give up the will to live. Seems to be made up of old newsreel, ominous music, misrepresented Churchill quotes and a claim that the whole idea was a Hitler plot.

When they wheeled on Norris McWhirter who died in 2004 I thought it was a bit odd so had a check and it turns out this whole documentary is from 2004 so not exactly current information but noteworthy that they were still banging on then about the UK being forced to join the euro.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nauseus said:

"Mark Carney told a private gathering"? A private gathering of what? The press?  :smile:

For someone so vocal I find it hard to believe you asked that question.

As Davos obviously means nothing you would be unaware that it is a media free event.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I started to watch and then stopped, I can't watch anything on any subject that is so anti-everything apart from what they are preaching - does nobody present balanced objective arguments any longer.

"does nobody present balanced objective arguments any longer."

Unfortunately, the answer is a resounding - NO. :sad: 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

As I've said to others, you really shouldn't believe all you read.  There are so many factors affecting GDP growth and long term economic growth, it is impossible to make accurate predictions.

Those with an interest in either side of the argument can use data to twist forecasts in either direction.

My position is simple. I don't like the EU in its current form or the direction it is going in. In my view it is doomed to fail. I don't like how the UK is subsidising what I see as a vanity project.

On the other hand I believe the UK can prosper again in the future as it has done under adversity time and time again over the centuries.

I'm very happy that the UK voted out, and won't be going down with Captain Juncker and his sinking ship.

"In my view it is doomed to fail."

You mean like Sgt Rock and his Deutsche Bank theory.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Why do you have to keep banging on about trade deficits, a deteriorating UK economy and the high cost of Brexit, don't you understand we only want to discuss the parts we want to discuss, spitfires, Churchillian spirit, no foreign criminals, blue passports and conspiracy theorists about the global elite. There, I saved you trouble. :post-4641-1156694572:

• Haha 1