Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Aussie language teacher shot in Chiang Mai car park by Thai girlfriend

webfact

7 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

Maybe because " He had assaulted her, she said, and she had reported to police twice in recent months" and did not want another attack so she took a gun as a defensive strategy?

If She was that concerned about her safety , why did She even go to meet him ?

If I thought that someone wanted to harm me, instead of taking a gun along to the meeting , I would just not bother going to the meeting

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If She was that concerned about her safety , why did She even go to meet him ?

If I thought that someone wanted to harm me, instead of taking a gun along to the meeting , I would just not bother going to the meeting

I surmise and you surmise but only she cognize.  :smile:

Wonder if he still has a crush on her.

I assume no jail sentence for her and not even payment for all his his medical bills.. Besides that we always get false statements from the aggressors rarely from the victims which surely will differ.

she claims to be in a fight but she hasn’t got a scratch!!!

1 minute ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Errr, what about the fact that she shouldn't even have a gun according to the laws... 

Legally the charges of possessing a firearm and ammunition without permission, assuming no licence, and possessing them in a public place without permission, assuming no carry permit, would be heard separately to the charge of attempted murder.  You could be acquitted of attempted murder on the grounds of self defence but still be found guilty on the charges under the Firearms Act. However, the latter law provides loopholes for unauthorised possession with wording that is "without permission and without a good reason".  She might be able to argue that she had a good reason to take the loaded gun to the car park but I would guess she would be convicted of firearms charges but given a light sentence, if she were acquitted on the attempted murder charge, if one is filed which seems likely.

Sad that he became so obsessed with this girl, rather than just looking for another in a place where there are so many choices. 

join the dots....as posters have pointed out, why turn up?..and why take a gun?...premeditated that's why, and you will probably find that the police she reported her alleged abuse to, is in fact a relative...it will all pan out because, as someone pointed out, she didn't finish the job off properly, miss by an inch and you may as well miss by a mile :)

Obviously she pre planned the shooting as it was an arranged meeting. This is premeditated attempted murder to which normal procedure would result in a long custodial sentencing. Here in Disneyland i see no more that a 5,000 baht fine. (to be paid by the Australian).

3 hours ago, Xyzero said:

So many fish in the sea  makes one wonder why one would go back to the same fishing hole when the one that you caught was not eatable 

There are not that many fish in the sea anymore.

Income inequality is my guess. Most westerners cannot afford western woman (or a divorce) and most Thai women like the income. Love (or lust rather) is there somewhere ... at the start anyway, perhaps.

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"she had reported to police twice in recent months about alleged assaults as he tried to reunite with her against her wishes. "

He looks more injured to me.Only she had a weapon still u blame him? Should he be in jail?

56 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

Maybe because " He had assaulted her, she said, and she had reported to police twice in recent months" and did not want another attack so she took a gun as a defensive strategy?

so she says. why not stay in the room and call the police then. no, go outside and have an argument whilst armed with a gun. what could go wrong

From the little bit I've heard about this from OP, it sounds like the girl is at fault.

A gun is too extreme for dealing with an emotional problem.  She knows it, that's why it appears she's layering on lies.

Regardless, Thai cops are going to lean over backwards to try to excuse her.  Thai cops are immeasurably subjective about such things, and always try hard to excuse whatever Thais are involved, no matter the evidence which may point to Thais over-reacting and/or breaking the law.

2 hours ago, DLock said:

Police told me that if I shot someone in my house, to then shoot 2 shots into the roof and say I fired warning shots first...

...but they also said, make sure he was dead.

She got one part right.

I was told the opposite by a lawyer who taught the firearms law segment at the revolver course I attended at the Sor Ror Phor, the army range at Ramindra 17 that trains bodyguards for VIPs.  He said that courts will look carefully at defensive shooting cases to see if the shooter's intention was to kill or just stop the threat.  An example he gave was that someone who emptied an entire magazine into a home intruder would be less likely to get off scot free as that would demonstrate intent to kill.  He did advise a warning shot first but also suggested aiming below the waist which is probably what this girl was trying to do.  I argued with him that aiming below the waist was likely to result either in a miss or a catastrophic injury which might be worse than death.  He just said you have to accept you are in Thailand, not the US where you might have the equivocal right according to stand your ground laws to shoot to kill.   Interestingly he said that he had never seen Thai courts delve into evidence in the form of the ammunition used, as in the Oscar Pistorius case where he used some sort of +P (more powerful) 9mm hollow point ammunition which was regarded as indicating intent to kill.  Similarly they have never objected to a gun licenced for sport only, i.e. all .357 magnums, .44 and .45, used for self defence.  Shotguns are automatically registered as for defence of life and property, despite the fact they can deliver the equivalent of 9 9mm bullets simultaneously with greater force at close range than a 9mm pistol, if loaded with 00 buckshot.  

I would say that a warning shot would make sense, even if post facto, but I wouldn't recommend firing more shots than needed to stop the threat and these will probably have to aimed at center of mass to avoid missing.  In a stressful situation like that I doubt you be thinking of emptying your magazine.  Most people hesitate to shoot anyway, rather go into Rambo overkill mode, and often get shot by the assailant before they have made the decision, frequently with their own gun.   Hollow point ammunition is recommended to minimise the the risk of overpenetration and harming someone else in your house or flat or a neighbouring  one, as well having more stopping power.  

Thai police don't generally use hollow points because it is a lot more expensive than regular ball ammo.  They are obviously not concerned about the risk of shooting innocent bystanders who are standing behind the bad guy or about not stopping him.   Presumably the shooter in this case didn't use them either, since the victim survived and the bullet passed through him.

3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

At least he is alive,will make for an interesting conversation with his mates once he recovers.

Interesting? Like, "And then bugger me, if the biatch didn't up and shoot me!"

Yes, gripping stuff.

6 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

At least he is alive,will make for an interesting conversation with his mates once he recovers.

Interesting? Like, "And then bugger me, if the <deleted> didn't up and shoot me!"

Yes, gripping stuff.

4 hours ago, Happy enough said:

a well known chiang mai university . . . chiang mai university?

anyway, why did she have the gun on her in the 1st place then go outside to argue, seems to me she may have intended to shoot the bloke before they even started arguing. speedy recovery ozzie. might be worth moving on from that one now i'd say

Your logic and arguments pail when you apparently do not even know there are universities in Chiang Mai?

The article claims she reported his attacks on her twice before to police--that should be rather easy to verify. If so, why not carry a gun to protect herself--or would you prefer a knife?

It appears from the story that it was the Oz who wanted to get back together.

Why not wait until more is known before simply assuming the girl was at fault? 

Archived