Android boxes now illegal in Thailand

superal

I'm on the lookout for an android box that has dvbt2 tuner for Thailand that records the tv too.aliexpress hads dvbt2 but I'm not sure they have easy tv record function.  anybody got one that records tv? 
All the stand alone "digital" TV boxes I've seen in Thailand even the 699 baht and government give away freebe ones had a usb port..the 3 boxes ive tried all had a PVR function...ok yes these are not Android boxes but they offer a cheap way to record terrestrial DVBT2.

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Tomas557...  Please what is a good Android box ? I have the MXQ CLK, it is confusing as many of the NEW 2018 boxes are not the best spec.... [was looking at 3GB and 64bit as better?]  my PC is far far better for IPTV, I just put it down to a good Graphics card  R9 with 4GB, my PC has 16GB..... but not at all sure..?

Also no idea, just downloaded 'Puffin Browser' so say very fast for IPTV........... tried it. noticed was showing I was in the USA, my second try showed I was in Singapore.. both times No buffeting but this was on my PC 

i bought the paid version of Puffin Browser Android and recommend it for speed streaming as the stream first hits the Puffin servers and then sends it to you as best they can. 

15 hours ago, tomas557 said:

TOT is the worst ISP in Thailand, maybe even in South east Asia lol.

Your 100 Mbps on a TOT speedtest means nothing because it is within Thailand, and everything worthwhile comes from outside Thailand, plus they use multithread and are flash based so your result is fictional.

That it always buffers right before a goal is only in your imagination, because no isp has any influence on that.

A video stream buffers either because there are issues on your side, or the servers are overloaded, but when a goal happens there are not more users than 5 minutes earlier.

A VPN can be a solution to get a better speed to Europe, forget about the free ones for that, if you have a good connection to Singapore, but I think TOT fails even at that most of the times.

If you have an Android box make sure that you have a recent spec one, and for IPTV it will work better than a smart TV or a PC, because the Android IPTV apps perform better than the Windows apps.

Most IPTV's don't allow the use of VPN.

Does testmy.net gives you better test results on your PC or tablet? If so it's time to upgrade the Android box.

Test on android at 09 00 hrs  to Singapore  48.7 down  14.7 up and similar results at 13 40 hrs

Laptop same times etc 54.2 down  4.3 up    then 37.7 down  and 4 up  

On 7/19/2018 at 4:05 AM, superal said:

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops  for the last month or so. Now we all know that " Advice " is a large retailer of IT etc so I have to believe them  ( not too concerned if the enforcer is NBTC or not ) .

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand , so what is the point in a partial ban .  Sorry , I am applying western logic again .

They are clearing stock and won't restock them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 10:34 PM, tomas557 said:

TOT is the worst ISP in Thailand, maybe even in South east Asia lol.

Depends where you live.

Living in Hat Yai I'm perfectly happy with TOT, been with them for over 13 years, from dial-up, through ADSL to fiber. Currently we have the 100/50 package for Bht700 per month. Via LAN to the router I get better than the package speeds locally, connected with a VPN to Singapore I get 80/40, and to the UK 60/30. Through the powerline network up to the 4th floor, locally I get 80/45, with VPN to Singapore it's 60/30, and VPS in the UK it's 45/25.

As for Android boxes being illegal, mini-PCs with either Windows or Linux OS running Kodi aren't illegal. I just switched my two year old H96-Pro Android box for an Asus VivoMini VM45.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 10:16 AM, BritManToo said:

Bu if you take the trouble to read the specifications you will see that Kodi is disabled.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Depends where you live.

Living in Hat Yai I'm perfectly happy with TOT, been with them for over 13 years, from dial-up, through ADSL to fiber. Currently we have the 100/50 package for Bht700 per month. Via LAN to the router I get better than the package speeds locally, connected with a VPN to Singapore I get 80/40, and to the UK 60/30. Through the powerline network up to the 4th floor, locally I get 80/45, with VPN to Singapore it's 60/30, and VPS in the UK it's 45/25.

As for Android boxes being illegal, mini-PCs with either Windows or Linux OS running Kodi aren't illegal. I just switched my two year old H96-Pro Android box for an Asus VivoMini VM45.

Thanks Stocky ,      Is your VPN installed to your router ? because I know that without the VPN  the bandwidth / speed is throttled by TOT when you go outside of Thailand . I am TOT same deal as you have and get same results locally but going outside of Thailand I am reduced to 5 & 1 . I have recently had my modem & router replaced by TOT and now have a single box , however I suspect it is not a high grade box and unsure if I should change it to make sure it is capable of a decent performance . Finally what VPN do you use and would you recommend it ?

BTW , I have also been told that TOT are the worse ISP but I have to say that their customer service to me in the last year has been good . Any help would be appreciated .

I have a 'Forth XG Serie' fiber modem supplied by TOT, I replaced the under-performing ZyXEL wireless router that TOT supplied with my own Linksys WRT320N wireless router. I subscribe to PureVPN and use the desktop app for Windows and manual configuration for Linux. The VPN isn't configured on the router. PureVPN are a little hit or miss at times, connecting to the UK for TV content has been increasingly patchy as the BBC play spot the VPN node. Consequently last year I've opted to pay for a VPS in the UK. My PureVPN subscription renews in October and I may well switch to a different provider, I was with NordVPN previously and may go back to them, or pay a little more for ExpressVPN.

The problem with all Thai ISPs is the quality of connection and/or standard of customer service varies radically across the country. Many rural areas just suffer from poor infrastructure, whilst urban areas can have good infrastructure but be oversubscribed, add to that the staff locally are either under-qualified or overworked. Luckily Hat Yai has good infrastructure, qualified staff and the population isn't overtaxing the network or the engineers.

I can't say I've noticed any throttling by TOT to overseas connections.  Just running some test you can see I get good results without a VPN. Adding the VPN or VPS to my connection invariably degrades my connection speed.

Screenshot from 2018-08-23 10-42-05.png

Local speed using the TOT website

PleAMTP3p.dssVze-La.png

TestMy.net speed test to London server

qxdstctHi.tvbY3Ohm_.png

TestMy.net speed test to Singapore server

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robsamui said:

Bu if you take the trouble to read the specifications you will see that Kodi is disabled.

They all disable Kodi these days. Most will remove Kodi logo from their specific home screen displays as well. Everyone then just downloads Kodi themselves and adds it as a shortcut on the device home screen.

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

I have a 'Forth XG Serie' fiber modem supplied by TOT, I replaced the under-performing ZyXEL wireless router that TOT supplied with my own Linksys WRT320N wireless router. I subscribe to PureVPN and use the desktop app for Windows and manual configuration for Linux. The VPN isn't configured on the router. PureVPN are a little hit or miss at times, connecting to the UK for TV content has been increasingly patchy as the BBC play spot the VPN node. Consequently last year I've opted to pay for a VPS in the UK. My PureVPN subscription renews in October and I may well switch to a different provider, I was with NordVPN previously and may go back to them, or pay a little more for ExpressVPN.

The problem with all Thai ISPs is the quality of connection and/or standard of customer service varies radically across the country. Many rural areas just suffer from poor infrastructure, whilst urban areas can have good infrastructure but be oversubscribed, add to that the staff locally are either under-qualified or overworked. Luckily Hat Yai has good infrastructure, qualified staff and the population isn't overtaxing the network or the engineers.

I can't say I've noticed any throttling by TOT to overseas connections.  Just running some test you can see I get good results without a VPN. Adding the VPN or VPS to my connection invariably degrades my connection speed.

Screenshot from 2018-08-23 10-42-05.png

Local speed using the TOT website

PleAMTP3p.dssVze-La.png

TestMy.net speed test to London server

qxdstctHi.tvbY3Ohm_.png

TestMy.net speed test to Singapore server

Those speeds are impressive and I am envious . I do not understand how it is your test results are so high . Maybe because there are very few users in your area ? Do you get any buffering if watching live sports etc ?

My test this morning 

TOT local    89/24    testmy.net Singapore 57 / 12     London  13  / 1.1  . ( slightly better than normal ) . I noticed that your tests were carried out mid morning , do you get similar results at the busy times e.g. early evening ?

21 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Android boxes are unnecessary with the advent of YouTube TV. It's a pay service with many of the same options you get with an Android box. Another great YouTube innovation.

Are you talking about the U.S.-based, Google-offered cable TV over the internet replacement service called YouTube TV?

Available only to most U.S. IP address locations. Starting at $40 a month subscription. About 60+ U.S. TV channels and networks, usually including the big 4-5 over the air networks, and then a lot of cable TV networks. Unlimited cloud DVR recordings that remain for up to 9 months after the last recording.

It's a great service, IMHO, but it's very U.S. centric. And I'm not sure it's a replacement for the much broader, more international options available via a generic Android streaming box.

YTTV, by the way, has an official Android TV app available in the built-in Google Play store on devices such as the Shield TV and MiBox TV.  But to use YTTV, your computer's browser has to be able to show a U.S. IP address in its browser geolocation functions.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You are correct. It IS very "US-centric" . We Yanks tend to forget that the rest of the world has tastes different from ours. I wouldn't want to go without my BBC "fix".

Are you talking about the U.S.-based, Google-offered cable TV over the internet replacement service called YouTube TV?

Available only to most U.S. IP address locations. Starting at $40 a month subscription. About 60+ U.S. TV channels and networks, usually including the big 4-5 over the air networks, and then a lot of cable TV networks. Unlimited cloud DVR recordings that remain for up to 9 months after the last recording.

It's a great service, IMHO, but it's very U.S. centric. And I'm not sure it's a replacement for the much broader, more international options available via a generic Android streaming box.

Well, YouTube TV DOES have BBC World News and BBC America among its channel offerings. And they'll carry the NFL games later this year being played in London.  For me, that's more than enough.... :cheesy:

But seriously... the Android TV devices are a great platform in that they provide flexibility. If you know what you're doing, you can subscribe to YTTV and similar from the States, and at the same time, manage to get similar kind of content from the UK and elsewhere.  Just takes a bit of tech know how and jiggering.

Two great countries -- separated only by a big ocean and two different languages. :biggrin:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I subscribe to one IPTV channel and can every channel known to man (slight exaggeration), but can get all sports, British, American, Australian and many other countries, but out of all them I probably watch regularly about 5 channels, all for just over 4000baht a year, no VPN to worry about.

The Android box is so versatile especially for the movies on Kodi.

10 hours ago, superal said:

Those speeds are impressive and I am envious . I do not understand how it is your test results are so high . Maybe because there are very few users in your area ? Do you get any buffering if watching live sports etc ?

My test this morning 

TOT local    89/24    testmy.net Singapore 57 / 12     London  13  / 1.1  . ( slightly better than normal ) . I noticed that your tests were carried out mid morning , do you get similar results at the busy times e.g. early evening ?

I live in Hat Yai city so plenty of users here. Results are pretty good throughout the day, and seldom have buffering issues.  Below are the Singapore and London results from this evening.

uskIUNSgm.ue3Rwsa_k.png

Singapore server.

gF08gG21O.AGoLhy-Cz.png

London server.

Note the clock on my desktop is set to UK time so 12:20 is 18:20 Thailand.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Stocky said:

I live in Hat Yai city so plenty of users here. Results are pretty good throughout the day, and seldom have buffering issues.  Below are the Singapore and London results from this evening.

uskIUNSgm.ue3Rwsa_k.png

Singapore server.

gF08gG21O.AGoLhy-Cz.png

London server.

Note the clock on my desktop is set to UK time so 12:20 is 18:20 Thailand.

It is a mystery to me when getting the same package from TOT as myself you have a vastly superior service . What am I not doing or should I be doing for improvement . Experienced buffering & freezing last night watching UK ITV .

Repeat ,  speed test within Thailand  good 90 / 24 ,   outside Thailand  varies   5 / 1 & unstable 

4 hours ago, superal said:

It is a mystery to me when getting the same package from TOT as myself you have a vastly superior service .

I think it's just down to location. Songkhla and Satun are landing points for the submarine cables that connect Thailand to the outside world, consequently there is a substantial data pipeline from the south, up the peninsular, linking Bangkok; Hat Yai sits on that main backbone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I think it's just down to location. Songkhla and Satun are landing points for the submarine cables that connect Thailand to the outside world, consequently there is a substantial data pipeline from the south, up the peninsular, linking Bangkok; Hat Yai sits on that main backbone.  

Thanks Stocky ,

Well that is a real surprise if your info is the reason . Think I will be moving my location soon ? ? but seriously  has anyone else heard of this .  

I have tried ordering 3 different Android boxes from different suppliers on Lazada over the past few months and each time they have cancelled the order after a few days. There was a supplier on Facebook selling them but they seem to have disappeared now.  Today my current old box has stopped working completely and will no longer connect to the web. Maybe all the networks have now stopped the boxes from connecting?

Anyone have any news of this? 

Edited by Rangerdriver

Nothing different between a box and an Android phone or tablet that connects to a TV.

They are both Android running the same software.

If you can't get a box just buy a phone with mhl connectivity like an Xperia Sony phone . Otherwise all new phones will cast wirelessly if you have cast adapter or newer tv with cast receiver.

The only reason for a box is if you want the dvbt2 cable TV  intergration.into the one device.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2018 at 10:08 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Everything seams to be illegal here apart from embezzlement.

Everything is illegal, except that which is allowed and evetything is allowed, espeically that which is illegal...........until you get caught, which is really the only crime in Thailand. Just ask Mr Thaksin, he knows.

Does anyone know if Lazada obtains licences for the Android boxes it sells?

Found this on the net.

2) Licensing Requirement

Any person who wishes to manufacture, import, trade, possess for trade, or possess for installation an Internet TV Box or any similar device under (1) must obtain a license from the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).

https://www.bakermckenzie.com/en/insight/publications/2017/04/thailand-internet-tv-boxes