Activists call for better animal protection laws in Thailand

rooster59

Activists call for better animal protection laws in Thailand

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNSOC610721001001101.jpg

BANGKOK, 21st July 2018 (NNT) – The Thailand Animal Rights Alliance (TARA) on Friday hosted a seminar to call on the government to issue stricter laws against animal cruelty. 

Speaking at the seminar, Saengduan Chailert, a representative of the Thailand Animal Rights Alliance, said there are many forms of animal torture and cruelty such as neglect, starvation, industrial animal farming, human violence, psychological disorders, cultural rituals, circuses, TV and film making, among others. 

Saengduan claimed that many people and agencies don’t understand the magnitude of the problem while pleading with responsible organizations to join forces to protect animal rights by working together more systematically, enforcing animal protection laws, and introducing stricter regulations against animal cruelty. 

Thai celebrities and representatives of related agencies also took part in the seminar to voice their thoughts, concerns, and suggestions. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-22

9 minutes ago, Thian said:

The buddhist country Thailand where most of the men love to see fighting cocks and gamble on them.?

and where you can  kill everything around you and eat it until theres  nothing left but kick a  dog and you may as well commit harakiri

16 minutes ago, kannot said:

and where you can  kill everything around you and eat it until theres  nothing left but kick a  dog and you may as well commit harakiri

And where the whole nation can avoid any soidog sleeping on the road but they still cause the most deadly accidents of the whole world.

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I find it hard to concentrate on animal rights in a country which fails miserably to deal with human rights. We need to keep our priorities in order.

You are right of course but it is a fact there are people working on both issues.

Kind of like telling a Police officer to go catch crooks when they give you a ticket for speeding.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Sod the animals - what about the people?

The people can speak for themselves and, for the most part, are not chained and beaten to make them do things they dont want to do.

So in that respect I am much more concerned about animal welfare here than I am about human welfare.

22 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Why is it a giraffe in the picture? 

Just so you don't forget the large number we have in Thailand.

I think they're in the picture reaching up to a tree for their favourite fruit - nectarines.

35 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The people can speak for themselves and, for the most part, are not chained and beaten to make them do things they dont want to do.

So in that respect I am much more concerned about animal welfare here than I am about human welfare.

While it is true that people can speak for themselves, what about all the packs of soi dogs on the loose that chase motor vehicles & bikes causing accidents or are a danger due to the number of animals, I am a cyclist and pass many packs of dogs (up to 16 in number) every day whilst out riding it is useless trying to say anything......

31 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Just so you don't forget the large number we have in Thailand.

I think they're in the picture reaching up to a tree for their favourite fruit - nectarines.

PNSOC610721001001101.jpg

There is also a black panther in the picture.  How are you doing these days Premchai?  Safari, so good?

11 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Mahatma Gandhi

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
 Mahatma Gandhi

Unfortunately, for the most part, it is an incomprehensible gibberish, yet it is the pure truth

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I find it hard to concentrate on animal rights in a country which fails miserably to deal with human rights. We need to keep our priorities in order.

There are many places in the world where people are able to walk and chew gum simultaneously.  Tho we wonder about Thailand at times. 

Regarding wild animals, they need habitat and habitat needs them.  According to those who believe in global warning, trees are a big part of the solution and trees need animals.  Yet little is ever mentioned about reforestation, only taxes and carbon credit solutions are popular amongst those of love big government. 

Laws are only enforced if face is lost, so it is better to use social media for shaming abusers.  If the Italian Thai fiasco has taught use anything, it is social media makes government react. 

Taiwan was terrible years ago just like Thailand, but it has made great strides since the 1980's.  Its changes happened under elected leadership. 

Foreign media quoted the 'King of Toads' in a now possibly illegal interview saying: "no need for animal-protection laws, we have friends in high places."

1_zpsbdfkekor.png

However, animal rights groups fear he may have been pressed, squeezed, and threatened to make this statement.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

The buddhist country Thailand where most of the men love to see fighting cocks and gamble on them.?

Thai Buddhists have all the rites and ceremonies down pat.  Where they seem to miss the boat is with their seemingly complete lack of compassion for sentient beings including other humans and animals.  I see it up close and personal and still find overall compassion to be something that isn't embraced with much enthusiasm.
Thai thinking is basically: karma dictates your suffering, and if your suffering it's not my problem.  Compassion and empathy is a bit of a foreign concept to most.

I support these people's aims.

There is a wider societal gain to be made by treating animals ethically.

Organisations such as the RSPCA draw correlations between individual histories of early animal abuse and later convictions for abusive / violent behavior.

Mr Ghandi made a good point. (Thanks to earlier post)

4 hours ago, Thian said:

And where the whole nation can avoid any soidog sleeping on the road but they still cause the most deadly accidents of the whole world.

Where did you get your information I would bet Kangaroos cause more accidents but dont know how deadly either are

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Thanks for this !

Animals are cruelly beaten , locked into small cages without ever getting out , tortured by frustrated owners , hated by a lot of the TV members ...

They cannot go to police to file a complaint , they cannot take a lawyer , all they can do is suffer and die , especially when they try to protect themselves against humans .

They need to have somebody talking for them , alone they cannot ...

Shame on people who are cruel to animals !

Mahatma Gandhi said : You can see the state a society is in by the way they treat their animals .

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

People first.

Just eat all the animals and be done with it.

I would like to try a Panda burger with chips and beans.

or curry sauce if your from Barnsley  :thumbsup:

What's your problem ? Better go and see a doctor ... it's urgent !

----------- "Just eat all the animals and be done with it."-----------------

And after all the animals will be eaten , people like you will start to eat people , right ?

On 7/22/2018 at 12:22 PM, connda said:

Compassion and empathy is a bit of a foreign concept to most.

Really , so that's why my gf does not talk to me when I need it. 

On 7/22/2018 at 4:47 AM, ratcatcher said:

Mahatma Gandhi

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
 Mahatma Gandhi

Very wise words to be fair the majorities of Thais tolerate animals very well. However I think education is key. They do not in many cases let them stay inside with them and therefore they get diseased which is often not treated, nether mind vacination. Many are just used for barking at night for potential intruders. However if their neighbour has a great looking dog they love keeping up with the Somchais.....I remember a Chinese Thai is Phuket I knew who adored this little Shih Tzu. One day after a rain storm although the dog did not get wet she had her in a jacket and I asked her why to which she replied she might be cold. Even in the rain Phuket air temp is still around 28C in the day. She did take very good care of the dog brushed her, elastic band ponytail on her head, she was an exception as she was kept inside. Remember I said Chinese Thai, she has an internet cafe, car hire, tour business......don't Chinese Thai run most of Thailand? Is Thaksin Chinese Thai?

On 7/22/2018 at 10:08 AM, KittenKong said:

The people are down-trodden; not allowed to express an opinion for fear of prosecution; and forced into distasteful work to finance their children's education; their parents' food - I am thinking mainly of Thai females here.

Archived