Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

48 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Tell us how many you've been too then.

All the major temples in Thailand, Cambodia, Lao, Myanmar, Indonesia (Borobadour, Hindu), Nepal and India (only as far south as Maharashtra, but North to Chinese border).

Oh, Korea and Japan as well

You?

• Sad 1

On 12/11/2018 at 11:29 PM, hyku1147 said:

By Civil Law, I need to keep a minimum of 30,000 USD in a business account. Why? I have USA income properties that are subject to unexpected problems. A water heater can malfunction, electrical malfunctions can occur, plumbing can fail - not to mention general maintenance, etc. If any serious problems occur, the management company has to immediately access said funds. This worked great for 11 years.

The well maintained properties generate sufficient income for their maintenance, for the management fees, and for my Thailand expenses. This system has kept me living in Thailand for 11 years. It eliminated the need for liquid capital - thus enabling me to make other long term investments. Then - without warning - the Income Letter system is radically changed. There was no proper advance notice provided, nor consideration given to those who had been habitual participants in the system. Not even a six month grace period!

So, now I need to transfer, and tie up, approximately 24,000USD in a Thai bank account. Albeit a luxury problem, it is a costly inconvenient process that adds to my growing feelings of discontent.

Head back home. That is what I am doing. I keep a small place back home. Just for this type of thing. 

Many other countries want your dollar, with much easier retirement visa's rules.

Edited by garyk
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe.

But buying a house you can't own, in a country you have no right to stay, for cash, is stretching your luck a bit.

Haha, I bet there are about a million guys here that wish they had followed that advice.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

All the major temples in Thailand, Cambodia, Lao, Myanmar, Indonesia (Borobadour, Hindu), Nepal and India (only as far south as Maharashtra, but North to Chinese border).

Oh, Korea and Japan as well

You?

There's always the tourists. Some like mountains, some like snow or cherry trees. many like sod all that's useful.

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2018 at 4:17 AM, madmen said:

You are the problem. You blame everybody else for your unhappiness and expect a developing country to offer 1st world service but at 3rd world prices

The complainers always have a rebuttal.   Either they have tons of money or will swear all is great except for this or that .  Try to give helpful advice based on experience and they will tell you to screw yourself.

And don't even think of asking them why do you stay here if you don't like it.  That will send the venom flying faster than our little friend here image.jpeg.442ddd1f6e7d98092c857b7c666ba6b4.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2018 at 7:55 PM, Fex Bluse said:

Easily predicted. Young and old expats come and live and leave for very different reasons.

Thailand is an absolutely horrible for a young expat to work. It gives them nothing in return for their effort. Locals don't have any interest in learning from outsiders and kowtowing to Thai/Chinese bosses for a handful of Baht is hardly worth the subservience. 

Thais are more and more anti-foreigner and nobody feels this more than expats who actually work among elite Thais. They simply don't want them here. Period. 

I think it is not the real Thais that don't want the western expats.

It are the Thais of Chinese origin.

China allways had and have an aversion against foreigners and specially westerners, and I guess that streak is also bedded into the psyche of Thai of Chinese origin.

As it was explained to me by a Chinese gentleman, the Thai Chinese still are very much living with the middle kingdom syndrome baked into them.

That said, I hear from westerners living in China, it is the same there.

Before the I love my wife and would do not regret one little thing crowd come pouncing on me........ I was just making a joke.   I am sure (well, kinda).....from reading some posts that there are some success stories.

Please open a new post if you wish to share  ????

Edited by rumak

12 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

happy relationships seem to be rare even between partners from the same country, with the same social-economical status, so nothing to be surprised, really.

oh so sad but true.   somewhat different issues with western women than thai women , but the statistics bear out (as does my own observation)....that most people just cannot stay together.  The majority i see look bored or unhappy.  Been said here many times:   so many guys coming here looking for affection only to be disappointed.   The question of whether it is the thai women they choose or them (for being the chooser!)

who is at fault is a matter of debate.  When i make a mistake i usually blame myself.  Then move on.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rumak said:

yeah, but only 5 that will admit it !   well, four if you have already counted BM2

Very true,  back in the states, I went threw a divorce at age 45. If I would of been in my mid to late 50's I would of never recovered IMO.

luckily, depending on the way you look at it. I decided that being NOT married was the only way to go. Haven't regretted it for a minute. 

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, rumak said:

oh so sad but true.   somewhat different issues with western women than thai women , but the statistics bear out (as does my own observation)....that most people just cannot stay together.  The majority i see look bored or unhappy.  Been said here many times:   so many guys coming here looking for affection only to be disappointed.   The question of whether it is the thai women they choose or them (for being the chooser!)

who is at fault is a matter of debate.  When i make a mistake i usually blame myself.  Then move on.

Yep, blame the others is childish, better grow a thick skin and carry on.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rumak said:

Not necessarily such a good thing to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, blame the others is childish, better grow a thick skin and carry on.

My rule is, I have to be with a gal for at least two years before I will make much of a commitment. Problem is after that much time I usually can't wait to vacate. haha

You cannot blame others for your mistake! I agree 100%. Just accept it and move on.

• Like 2

I am one of the lucky ones , been with my wife for nearly 10 years , and we are together 24/7. We are still in love , properly even more now than we first met each other.Life is good...being with her .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Not necessarily such a good thing to do.

in reference to blaming myself :  this is not just a reference to relationships.  could be a plumbing error, a planning error, or whatever.   i blame myself in cases where i should have known better,  or did not do something well ( maybe rushed or careless).   in relationships i think that once i see the red flag(s) i should

get out !  i have enough experience to know that they will not go away.   So if i make the mistake of ignoring them ......well, how can i blame the other person ?   

1 hour ago, kevvy said:

I am one of the lucky ones , been with my wife for nearly 10 years , and we are together 24/7. We are still in love , properly even more now than we first met each other.Life is good...being with her .

They are not all bad. My Thai partner was wonderful. But they do play the long game here....

48 minutes ago, dcnx said:

But they do play the long game here....

If more western guys understood that. It would put billions of baht back in their pockets.

This is the only country I have ever traveled to that plays that card so brilliantly. It is quite amazing IMO.

Other country's I have traveled to, the women will play their cards pretty quick, here It can take years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

So many recent posts are so sad, but typical.

Too many with WWWM syndrome.

Weak

White

Western

Male

Syndrome

You can hear and see it in their posts. 

Yes, most of these situations are a you problem.

Blah blah..women control me, Thailand and the world!!  A bunch of scared weak babies.

Wake up males ( you mostly are not men) and try growing a pair!!

Surely a sign that the brainwashing ( the media is the message ) that is portrayed endlessly on television is working.  Shows repeatedly have weak men and strong women especially in comedies and action series.

And so evolves a generation or two of "sensitive" males who do not want to be seen as being STRONG. Men are confused .  I don't know how guys my age (older, that is) lost their way.... but many do tend to find their way to our shores.   Maybe when a guy says "that's a nice dress" and then is accused of sexual harassment...maybe that starts the process of emasculation.  From what i have seen,  once you have lost

the jewels they do not grow back so easily  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Weak

White

Western

Male

Syndrome

Blah blah..women control me, Thailand and the world!!  A bunch of scared weak babies.

Look here mate, I'm too old to grow anything but a

bit of mould.

But you are right, the white male is a dying breed, he

is taking a bashing everywhere, media, legal system,

governments, and the dreaded 3rd wave feminism.

Thus the beta male is condemned to worshiping the

little bearded God forever.

Wimmins is only for breedin'. Go MGTW and you become

the most sought after Alpha male... Feel the fun.

Take back control of you life. If you are married,

be the Boss, nothing less.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Weak

White

Western

Male

Syndrome

V my post.... QED