"No, you gave me a 100 baht" says 7/11 staffer after being handed 1,000 baht

webfact

34 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe not.

I suggest you buy a megaphone to make sure.

Good luck...

megaphone-1381104__340.jpg

When I did work behind a counter at a railway station handling cash many decades ago, a lady tried to scam me once, with a customer behind her saying yes, I saw her give you a 50, that's when I said I always put the big bills in the slit next to my counter, and she didn't give me a 50 because I put her 20 in the till, here it is, and if you want to ring back in the morning when I balance my books, you can see if I am over and if I am you can fill in a form to collect the change. She left angry, I found out the next day they were fleecing all the stations up the line and got away with it.

I make it a "note" to always announce then I am giving a big note, as I said, so others can hear and that also stops any disagreement, well its worked thus far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zack61 said:

The “old reverse Tatum O’Neal trick” from Paper Moon. 

CCTV catches another one. 

Something similar to look out for is when you get petrol. Make sure you look at the total before you drive off. Often the bowser/pump is behind you and requires a bit of neck bending but worth the time. 

I always get out of the truck to check it anyway plus I log the distance travelled and have a reasonable idea of how much diesel I will need.

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Perhaps it is because I am a nice friendly hansum man.:smile:

Not perhaps probably 99% right it could be called the body language, some people have a lot fewer problems than others in this area I think it comes from what they inspire others, 

positive or negative, you are probably in the good half ????

But my wife still calls me a hansum man especially after a number of 285 whiskies, soda and ice and even more so when she is not wearing her spectacles. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

But my wife still calls me a hansum man especially after a number of 285 whiskies, soda and ice and even more so when she is not wearing her spectacles. 

I'm sure You've understood I had crossed hansum jokingly, adding hansum insight being more important because it does not fade with age :smile:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The manic said:

Such a scam is very rare in Thailand which is why it makes the news. One should always identify large notes in any country. It first happened to me in France when I was a teenager. The frog had a piece of chewing gum on the underside of the till draw to stick the big note  to and then giving a dismissive Gallic shrug would gesture to the small notes in the till draw.

Frogs can be tricky... ???? 

1 hour ago, Kevbo said:

When paying with a 10000 in a bar I always ask if they can change this as I hand over, so they know that I know, and I know that they know....

You at a bar now?

Last I knew there are is no such thing as 10,000 b notes.

But hey, they know that you know so keep plugging away....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You at a bar now?

Last I knew there are is no such thing as 10,000 b notes.

But hey, they know that you know so keep plugging away....

Can not verify but read before there is a legit 500k thb limited edition note  ... 

Scroll down to see what they look like :

Just now, inThailand said:

If they will cheat a Thai grandma what chance do we have? 

Lots of chance if you pay attention! 

The only time it happened me I think they did it because I was using the phone and barely paying attention and walked away 

As soon as I noticed she was ultra quick to give me the full amount before it escalated 

I've been using 7 11 for the purpose of cashing those pesky 1000 baht notes, so I don't have to harass the street vendors with them!

I've trusted them so much and had no issues, that i've considered it rude to count it out in their face like I don't trust them.

Thought it might be one of them losing-face deals.. Perhaps I should re-evaluate?

I will say though, that I typically hold the note up before the purchase, and ask, "is this large bill okay?"

Leaves little negotiating room for "misunderstandings"

Edited by YogaVeg

23 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Lots of chance if you pay attention! 

The only time it happened me I think they did it because I was using the phone and barely paying attention and walked away 

As soon as I noticed she was ultra quick to give me the full amount before it escalated 

In no way condoning theft, I do find myself less sympathetic to the person who can't be bothered to pause a phone call long enough to give a service worker their "full attention" even for a minute. It is rude to everyone involved, comes off as narcissistic, egotistical and arrogant even.

Every now and again I will see such a person getting verbally "checked" and it can be delightful, just saying.

Not stolen from, mind you, just verbally spanked for the lack of manners, reminded to 'be human y'all' ????

• Like 2

Why would they have another cash note tray under the till? Is that 7/11s working method... As been mentioned earlier in post the other assistant clocked what was going on so the lot of them must be involved - when cashed up at end of shift where is the extra cash going?? Thay all at it at this store - Thieves!!

Edited by Lokie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Why would they another cash note tray under the till? Is that 7/11s working method... As been mentioned earlier in post the other assistant cocked what was going on so the lot of them must be involved - when cashed up at end of shift where is the extra cash going?? Thay all at it at this store

Ok, it's all a bit complicated - let me help.

• It is not 7-Eleven's usual working method.  The cashier put the money in a receptacle under the till so it would be hidden and she could show no thousand baht notes were in the till if questioned.
  • The other assistant did seem to be in on it.  Perhaps they work together and share.
  • The extra cash is going in the attendant's pocket.  They are essentially stealing the money and being quite dishonest about it.  That is why it made the news.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I'm sure You've understood I had crossed hansum jokingly, adding hansum insight being more important because it does not fade with age :smile:

Hansum is as hansum does.

In my case it expands with age especially around the stomach area.

• Like 1

Happened to me in 7/11 at the end of soi cowboy - I think they had a scam going there to target the drunk farangs. The 7/11 guy counts your change out of view (but so you can hear the notes as he counts out loud) and then hands it to you folded up. When I unfolded it and recounted it was a hundered short. The funny thing is I didn't say a word but just stopped and gave him the look as if to say I know what you are up to. He still had my hundred hidden in his hand and just handed it to me without a word.

Rule of thumb is that if anyone gives you your change folded up. Unfold it and count it. Same thing happened once or twice with street vendors down Khao Sarn. And when you spot their 'error' its all 'Ah sorry na, sorry I miscount.... here is the rest'.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Happened me in maxvalu recently also with a 1k.note 

I know the cashier knew because of how quickly she refunded the correct amount and crumpled up the receipt and threw it into a bin on her side of the counter

It happened to me recently on a much smaller scale when I was short-changed 100 bahts at a local popular large ironmongers store.  Again, the cashier clearly knew, as she walked quickly away from the till immediately, but refunded the 100 without argument or without checking the till the moment I complained.  No apology of course and you have to wonder how often they try this sort of thing.