Bangkok: Wearing helmets mandatory for both drivers and passengers

webfact

Wearing helmets mandatory for both drivers and passengers

PNSOC610927001001301.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 September 2018 (NNT) - Traffic police have been instructed to enforce traffic regulations rigorously across Bangkok to ensure motorcycle drivers and their passengers wear helmets while on the road. 

Deputy Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, Pol Maj Gen Jirapat Phumchit, said anyone found breaking the law will be fined on the spot. 

The Deputy Commissioner added the goal is to have every driver and passenger follow the law by wearing helmets at all times. 

He also claimed that 60% of road injuries and deaths were related to motorcycles, insisting that police are more concerned about road safety than collecting fines.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-09-27
  • Haha 2

Wearing a helmet is 1 thing but it has to be locked as well and those helmets for under 1000 baht are of inferiour quality, they are not allowed in the EU....for safety reasons.

A good helmet costs around 20-30.000 baht in Thailand...it costs half of that in the EU online.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

It's the perfect strategy though; if everyone wore a helmet then there would be no money for the BIB. They don't want people to abide by the law as it affects their income. Hence the occasional crackdown and not permanent enforcement. Kaa-ching! ????????????

actually I am seeing more and more enforcement of this rule. I agree, it used to be the occasional crackdown, but I think becoming number 1 in road deaths has embarrassed some people to taking action.

I ride around Bangkok a lot, and over the past few months have seen regular gangs of cops at some of the major junctions pulling everyone who hasn't got a helmet. 

27 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

actually I am seeing more and more enforcement of this rule. I agree, it used to be the occasional crackdown, but I think becoming number 1 in road deaths has embarrassed some people to taking action.

I ride around Bangkok a lot, and over the past few months have seen regular gangs of cops at some of the major junctions pulling everyone who hasn't got a helmet. 

That's good to know. I hope it continues. 

1 hour ago, Thian said:

A good helmet costs around 20-30.000 baht in Thailand...it costs half of that in the EU online.

sorry but you are wrong, there are many quality helmets here in Thailand in the 2-3k price bracket, they are tested to Western Standards and in some cases better than some of the expensive brand imports.

Problem with the OP is that the typical crappy plastic helmet supplied by MB taxi drivers offer no protection at all, it is also worth noting that a good helmet will protect you to an extent but hit anything solid above 30kmh and your chance of survival is minimal, same goes for gear, they are designed to protect from a 4ft drop to the road from the seat and gear protects against road rash - hit anything solid and it doesn't matter what you are wearing unless it is a car.

Imagine this - put on the best gear you can buy and jump from a 2nd floor balcony head first - see how you survive, better still drop onto a wall from the same height and see how that goes, on impact you will be travelling at about 35-40kmph (less than 30mph.

Very few fatal MB accidents in Thailand would have had a different outcome if the person had been geared.  

This helmet issue from the OP is either total lack of understanding or they need more tea money or a mixture of both

Also putting on the provided headgear from a MB taxi driver is not only poor quality but also filthy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

sorry but you are wrong, there are many quality helmets here in Thailand in the 2-3k price bracket, they are tested to Western Standards and in some cases better than some of the expensive brand imports.

Problem with the OP is that the typical crappy plastic helmet supplied by MB taxi drivers offer no protection at all, it is also worth noting that a good helmet will protect you to an extent but hit anything solid above 30kmh and your chance of survival is minimal, same goes for gear, they are designed to protect from a 4ft drop to the road from the seat and gear protects against road rash - hit anything solid and it doesn't matter what you are wearing unless it is a car.

Imagine this - put on the best gear you can buy and jump from a 2nd floor balcony head first - see how you survive, better still drop onto a wall from the same height and see how that goes, on impact you will be travelling at about 35-40kmph (less than 30mph.

Very few fatal MB accidents in Thailand would have had a different outcome if the person had been geared.  

This helmet issue from the OP is either total lack of understanding or they need more tea money or a mixture of both

Also putting on the provided headgear from a MB taxi driver is not only poor quality but also filthy 

It is a home for lice.

• Thanks 1

Wearing a helmet is 1 thing but it has to be locked as well and those helmets for under 1000 baht are of inferiour quality, they are not allowed in the EU....for safety reasons.

Still better than scraping your bare skull.