When to replace tires?

ricklev

I have and old Honda Wave.  I replaced the stock tires with wider IRC tires about ten years ago.  Since then maybe ridden 7000 kilometers.  They look fine, but do need to replace them due to age?  Just use it for short trips, never on the highway.  Thanks!

If they are ten years old I would replace, after four years you have had the best of your tyres, then are in the deterioration phase thereafter, though manufacturers don't tell you this when they sell you the tyres!

46 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I have and old Honda Wave.  I replaced the stock tires with wider IRC tires about ten years ago.  Since then maybe ridden 7000 kilometers.  They look fine, but do need to replace them due to age?  Just use it for short trips, never on the highway.

Would'nt bother.

Wait until the tread is totally shot or you start getting regular punctures in the tubes.

We are talking a Wave here, so don't worry.

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How much is a set of tires?

Probably less than 2000B.

If you can afford it pay it and don't worry anymore.

Try as low as 800 baht a pair. Plus tubes at 90 a pop. Brand names. Fitted, so 1k TB.

Again, we are talking a Wave here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

If they are ten years old I would replace, after four years you have had the best of your tyres, then are in the deterioration phase thereafter, though manufacturers don't tell you this when they sell you the tyres!

Manufacturers do tell you:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

A tire without cracks or rubber as hard as stone in Thailand after 10 years? I'm impressed. Apart from riding it not much, you probably also parked it well in a garage? The sun can be pretty brutal on tires.

Otherwise as mentioned the main signs for a tire that wants a replacement

1. Cracks in the rubber

2. Tread gone, down to wear marks

3. Easy punctures, bad handling/sliding

And another fun way to test: if you lock the rear and instead of making a squeeking sound, it just slides and smells badly like burned rubber, replace ????

• Like 1

Modern motorcycles are a marvel. New models have all sorts of rider modes, traction assist, yada yada yada

Know what they have in common with a 25 year old Wave ?

All that keeps them upright and on the road - keeps you alive, is traction afforded by the tires.

The most important pieces on any motorcycle.

Act accordingly. Save a few bucks ... mugs game

• Like 1