Road traffic fines

hobobo

Hi, I've searched without luck for the list of latest road traffic fines for motoring offences. I remember it being published here on my last visit to Thailand a few months back. I'd be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

14 hours ago, transam said:

Don't know how old or accurate this is but could be the deal...

https://nashaplaneta.net/en/asia/thai/art-thailand-shtrafi-za-narusheniya-pdd

Thanks transam, I think the fines stated in the link above were applicable just before this year's increase, when they were doubled on average. I'm going to the police station later this morning and will take a snapshot of the current fines. Thanks for your help anyway!

You could rack up 100 traffic tickets and your fine is no more than the 400 or 500 THB fine you'll pay for not having a tax sticker on the front of your vehicle do to the fact that they won't issue a tax stamp if you haven't cleared your fines.
My guess is that most Thais will simply drive without a tax stamp.  I believe it's been estimated the 1/3 of the population drives without a license and probably a significantly larger percentage without insurance.
Why?  There's no effective enforcement or penalties for breaking traffic laws.  So it's anarchy on the roads.

51 minutes ago, connda said:

You could rack up 100 traffic tickets and your fine is no more than the 400 or 500 THB fine you'll pay for not having a tax sticker on the front of your vehicle do to the fact that they won't issue a tax stamp if you haven't cleared your fines.
My guess is that most Thais will simply drive without a tax stamp.  I believe it's been estimated the 1/3 of the population drives without a license and probably a significantly larger percentage without insurance.
Why?  There's no effective enforcement or penalties for breaking traffic laws.  So it's anarchy on the roads.

The WHO's recent report on traffic fatalities once again placed Thailand very high on the list of deadliest countries.

It's not because of a lack of laws for drunk driving, speeding and wearing of seatbelts, but because of an almost complete lack of enforcement by Police/Highway Patrols.

The slaughter will continue until the entire police system is dismantled and reinvented as a real entity, not just a group trained to scan CCTV footage and pose en masse for photos with the latest heinous serial masturbator or petty thief. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

My current tgf drove for years without a licence. She only got one in the end because i nagged her about it.

To be honest - how long is a piece of string - as we Brits say. For the first time in 18 years I, and many Thai drivers, were recently stopped for speeding on the approach to Udon Thani from Nong Bua Lamphu. The fine was 400 baht for all of us and we got a proper receipt with carbon copy.

My wife was driving in nose to tail traffic up an 'on-ramp' to join an expressway. A traffic cop at the junction directed (by hand signals) that the outer lane should cross over a crosshatched section to get onto the expressway lanes which were empty due to traffic downstream being stopped. Vehicles in front of her and behind (and her) drove out onto the three empty lanes and went on their way.

Two weeks later my wife got a 'camera ticket' for driving on a prohibited (crosshatch) road marking! Five hundred baht fine....

2 hours ago, hobobo said:

Thanks transam, I think the fines stated in the link above were applicable just before this year's increase, when they were doubled on average. I'm going to the police station later this morning and will take a snapshot of the current fines. Thanks for your help anyway!

The reason I posted this in the first place was that the traffic cop who stopped me for an illegal U-turn on North Pattaya Road yesterday said that I could pay him or go to the police station. I told him that I always pay at the station because I get a receipt, but was just interested to see what kind of tea he drank. His reply was "One thousand baht here, much more at the police station". I remember the traffic fines were increased earlier in the year, so I was expecting 1,500 baht or more (at least it would teach me a lesson!). Just came back after paying the fine - 400 baht! I guess he's drinking PG Tips Diamond Tea Bags, but wants to upgrade to Da-Hong Pao Tea, according to Google the most expensive tea in the world at US$1,025,000 a kg! (https://financesonline.com/top-12-most-expensive-tea-types-in-the-world-da-hong-pao-vs-tieguanyin/)

To be honest, I don't know why you bother about this, each individual police station in Thailand will differ here, and I would even go as far to say that in some cases, each individual police officer will have his own interpretation of all the motoring rules, especially the fines for each different road traffic "offence".

What do you think happens when the tea money coffers start getting low? I think we all know the answer to that one.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The WHO's recent report on traffic fatalities once again placed Thailand very high on the list of deadliest countries.

It's not because of a lack of laws for drunk driving, speeding and wearing of seatbelts, but because of an almost complete lack of enforcement by Police/Highway Patrols.

The slaughter will continue until the entire police system is dismantled and reinvented as a real entity, not just a group trained to scan CCTV footage and pose en masse for photos with the latest heinous serial masturbator or petty thief. 

This is the usual reaction. The problem lies in a lack of education, both of police and drivers. A fine should be hefty enough in order to teach a lesson, that is true but at present it's "no police around so it doesn't matter".

5 hours ago, connda said:

So you can pay your insurance but not pay for the tax sticker and still drive while being covered by insurance ?

I got stopped this morning - didn't see a one-way sign in Bintabaht area of Hua Hin. Taken to the police box on the corner of Petchkasem Road - showed an A4 sheet of various fines - ignoring a road sign was 1,000 baht. I said I would need a receipt and was told 500 baht without a receipt. I paid up as I was in the wrong!

On 12/12/2018 at 8:54 AM, connda said:

I have taxed cars with outstanding fines, no problems.

I don't pay my speeding fines, when in Rome....

I must add, that's for the camera's where the fine is sent to your house. The ones with the police hiding behind a tree and checkpoints i always pay 400 baht, i've found pretty standard all over thailand, no need to try and offer tea money. The police at these check points are very polite nowadays.

Archived