Smog crisis: Taekwondo teacher nearly dies after taking 30 minute stroll in downtown Bangkok

rooster59

Smog crisis: Taekwondo teacher nearly dies after taking 30 minute stroll in downtown Bangkok

air.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that a teacher of Taekwondo near died after inhaling dust on a short stroll in the Ploenchit area of Bangkok. 

They said it was a clear indication that people were getting sick from the smog blanketing the city. 

While experts have said that the impacts on health are longer term Thai Rath suggested the negative impact was here and now.

Somphon Phanaratansophon, 28, a martial arts teacher, had come into the city to the Chitlom/Ploenchit downtown area to do some business on 20th of January. 

After a 30 minute stroll in the area he was suffering from red and sore eyes and a dry throat. 

At home in Samut Songkhram he started struggling for breath and had a tightness in his chest.

He was rushed to ICU - he spent five days at emergency rooms in two hospitals.

Now his is taking thirteen tablets three times a day after meals.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-02

3 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

This is more a comment on how Thai hospitals mug their patients for as much as possible.  Five days and 13 tablets 3 times a day?   What - for breathlessness?

And 'after meals' too. Those thirteen tablets sound like a meal in themselves. I bet the bill took his breath away.

5 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

This is more a comment on how Thai hospitals mug their patients for as much as possible.  Five days and 13 tablets 3 times a day?   What - for breathlessness?

it's very culturally common for patients to be over medicated here. indeed speaking to my friends if they visit the doctor and leave without being prescribed some medicine they feel they have been short changed.

i've seen friends go to the doctor with nothing more than a common cold (back home; paracetamol, vitamin C, and rest) and be prescribed 3, 4 or 5 sets of tablets. bizarrely antibiotics are often prescribed to people with a virus. if i was ever seriously concerned about my health, and was able, i'd go straight back home.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

it's very culturally common for patients to be over medicated here. indeed speaking to my friends if they visit the doctor and leave without being prescribed some medicine they feel they have been short changed.

i've seen friends go to the doctor with nothing more than a common cold (back home; paracetamol, vitamin C, and rest) and be prescribed 3, 4 or 5 sets of tablets. bizarrely antibiotics are often prescribed to people with a virus. if i was ever seriously concerned about my health, and was able, i'd go straight back home.

Think they need to find a new Doctor !

Planet is finished my friends. I worked in the Maldives 20 years ago, went back recently and the trash was unbelievable, water bottles, mostly. And could we ask Japan to stop building cars for a few years or the whole planet? And least add in properly regulated emission regulations here, oh but that takes courage to implement..sorry I was dreaming.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

There is more Pharmacies down here than there is 7/11's

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

He was an asthma sufferer, of course his chances of getting ill were higher....

Funny thing is, I am an asthma sufferer, but the latest smog seems to have almost no effect on me. (Still, I am thankful for the excellent prophylactic care I received as a kid in my home country.)

Hey dont let this one negative Nancy make you think the pollution is that bad.

Anyone who knows true Taekwondo knows that you must take care of your body!

"We cant do anything about the pollution but we can stop those foreigners from having SEC on the beach!"

3 hours ago, elephant45 said:

Planet is finished my friends. I worked in the Maldives 20 years ago, went back recently and the trash was unbelievable, water bottles, mostly. And could we ask Japan to stop building cars for a few years or the whole planet? And least add in properly regulated emission regulations here, oh but that takes courage to implement..sorry I was dreaming.

Dream on, because it isn't traffic that is the big polluter, it's the industry, the aeroplanes, electricity generating, mining that are bringing 95% of the pollution.

Cars, trucks, buses, seagoing ships etc deliver 5%.

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

As a an asthma sufferer he was liable to feel the effects before others.

The fact that he DID feel the effects means that the pollution is in the air for us all to suffer to some degree an early warning for us all !!

Thai doctors will prescribe as many pills as they think the can get away with.My partner had a number of visits to a well known Pattaya Hospital,after each visit which involved scans, blood tests, she was given at least six different medicines.When we got them home I looked the name of each up(I have a copy of Mimms, which is a directory of medications and their various names and is used by GPs in the UK).It turned out that of the six set of tablets, four were exactly the same thing but a different brand name.After a few weeks she passed a kidney stone,none of the medications given were in anyway related to kidney stones,just general broad spectrum antibiotics.

A friend of mine who recently went to the hospital in Nonthaburi, that specializes in respiratory diseases, said that the doctor told him Thailand was already at epidemic levels, when it comes to lung disease. And that was before this recent pollution epidemic took place. Can you imagine how overloaded that hospital is right now? I was told a surgical mask, with a handkerchief folded up to cover the nose and mouth could also be helpful, in filtering some of the toxic matter in the air right now. The conditions at the moment are very dangerous. 

Nothing short of a super high quality industrial mark, is needed for this dust, pollution, smoke, and grime, that is gripping nearly the entire nation now. What will the authorities do about it? Probably very little, as they barely care. But, if we are fortunately, it will be just one more nail in the coffin of the hapless army, and Prayuth. He is not competent, and the army is not needed. Get out. Get out now. You are not wanted, and you are despised by most of the people.

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Funny thing is, I am an asthma sufferer, but the latest smog seems to have almost no effect on me. (Still, I am thankful for the excellent prophylactic care I received as a kid in my home country.)

Yes, I too am an asthma sufferer and the smog is affecting me. Maybe it's because my use of prophalactics is for something completely differnt.????

In Vietnam the owner of the hotel I stayed at had a nose infection.

She came back from her doctor with a bag of pills in plastic bags.

In magic marker on each bag it stated how many to take and how often.

But it didn't even give the name of the pill, let alone the normal instructions which come with medication (at least in the US) giving side effects, warnings, etc.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:56 PM, Nyezhov said:

a lot of that dust would be been sun dried soi doggie poo

- a bit worse than getting a noseful of cockroach doodie, a staple affector upon asthmatics

Archived