Chiang Mai’s Green Giant proves it can suck up fine dust particles

webfact

Chiang Mai’s Green Giant proves it can suck up fine dust particles
By KRIANGKRAI RATTANA 
THE NATION 

ca0c29684ac5538417bcb5461347f664-sld.png&key=624760d397e172322276ec20283164d216801190b5896726272a4f7fad284738
This locally manufactured giant air purifier, dubbed the Green Giant, was put up at Chiang Mai’s Tha Pae Gate to tackle the province’s smog.

A GIANT air purifier, called the Green Giant, was installed at Chiang Mai’s Tha Pae Gate yesterday and appeared to be efficient in reducing the amount of fine dust particles in the air in a 3-kilometre radius.

When this locally manufactured device was turned on at noon, the PM2.5 – particulate matters of no more than 2.5 micrometre – hovered at around 59 micrograms per cubic metre of air, and when it was turned off a little while later, the PM2.5 level had dropped to 36mcg. 

The Pollution Control Department (PCD)’s safe level for PM2.5 is 50mcg, and the World Health Organisation has described PM2.5 as carcinogenic and linked it to several health problems. 

Chiang Mai Governor Supachai Iamsuwan said the Green Giant was developed by a team that calls itself ERIG, which had “brought together experts from relevant fields to develop the big air purifier”.

Team leader Kraipichit Muangwong said his group had spent more than two months developing this invention. 

“We studied the components of dust particles in the area before deciding how best to purify the air,” he said, adding that the purifier sucks polluted air and replaces it with cleaner air. 

“Universities can also come up with other solutions based on our innovation to solve the smog crisis,” he said.

Costing about Bt500,000, it is believed the Green Giant can reduce the amount of dust particles in the air by half. 

Meanwhile, PCD reported that air pollution in the North had eased, though three of 16 areas in the region are still showing dangerous levels of PM2.5.

The worst-hit area was tambon Wiang Puang Kham in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district, where the 24-hour mean average for PM2.5 stood at 139mcg, while the mean average at tambon Huai Kone in Nan’s Chalerm Phrakiat district stood at 138mcg. 

There were 305 hotspots in the North yesterday.

Air pollution in the North is not just affecting the chronically ill, but also healthy people. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367371

thenation_logo.jpg&key=45c3cfd2ab4166f39e45e0effa38883351f609c80e3d701fdeba5fd778f0d97e

-- [emoji2398] Copyright The Nation 2019-04-09
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

If Elon did it, he wouldn't fart around with something as MIckey Mouse as that, would he? I get the impression that Elon thinks in pretty big scales

The first post expressed my first thought, too....."April fools?"

Nope , its real, I saw it today 

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

And how will they clean the filters ? Probably just wash them out with a hose and put the particles back into the air !  They think that if you cant see them they have gone. These 2.5 particles do not break down and will be back in the air ASAP.  

They'll wash them above the drains which leads into the river, they'll be on their way to pattaya soon.

34 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

looks like something you could brew beer in.

Wallace and Gromit will be in town later to explain the technicality's they are a little late due to putting the wrong trousers on????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A more realistic assessment of this contraption's performance would be to calculate the total mass of PM 2.5 particles over Chiang Mai according to the various monitoring points, then measure the actual mass of particles removed by the beast. My guess would be 0.000000000000000000001%.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A more realistic assessment of this contraption's performance would be to calculate the total mass of PM 2.5 particles over Chiang Mai according to the various monitoring points, then measure the actual mass of particles removed by the beast. My guess would be 0.000000000000000000001%.

I like your optimism ????

• Like 1

The real test would be to test the air before turning it on and measure the air its pumping out and not wait until later when the climate- temperature has changed.anyway it's just pissing in the wind.thais still haven't learned the old saying "you can't beat mother nature"

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Costing about Bt500,000, it is believed the Green Giant can reduce the amount of dust particles in the air by half. 

yes within a 50m radius - as useful as a fart in a spacesuit