Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

4 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

That's very amusing, but I didn't have that in mind, perhaps because I'm not aware that Thai men in general find Western women unattractive, which would be the implication if one uses the analogy of the expat bar/sex scene in Thailand.

As I understand, the DNA in the Mitochondria of each cell, sometimes referred to as the 'power house' of the cell, is normally inherited exclusively from the mother. The geneticists have not yet found any Neanderthal genes in the mitochondria of modern humans, which strongly implies that there was no mating between the male homo sapiens and Neanderthal women, possibly because the Neanderthal women were not seen as sufficiently attractive, or maybe because they were tougher and stronger than the homo sapiens men and could fight off any advances. ????

However, I suspect there is quite a bit of mating between Thai men and Western women, is there not? ????

No..not really.

Unless you are referring to Pattaya-under-the hill or Nanaville,West Tennessee.

Edited by Odysseus123

I remember once having the Happy Clappers (Jehovah Witness) knocking on my door, pushing their "Watchtower" magazine & I was very polite but said thanks, but no thanks... 

Then they (Happy Clappers) say...

HC's:Do you believe in God?

Me: I believe religion is a personal thing 

HC's: Yes but do you believe in God?

Me: I believe religion is a personal thing & best shared in one's home

HC's: Yes but what if you're wrong

Me: If you're telling me that If I live a good & wholesome life, take care of people as best I can & do my best not to cause harm anybody, that when I go "Upstairs" "HE" is going to say, sorry son, you got my name wrong you're going "Downstairs"? - Sign me up for hell right now, who would want a "Lord" like that.

And the sad fact is that the majority of religions believe that > 2/3rds of the planet are going to hell because they get "His" name wrong... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
Could be bothered to google the correct name of the HC magazine
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Our bodies are animal, but our mind is not. No animal can debate philosophy, or have the concept of a soul.

It is for that reason I believe in a higher power that created us, life and the universe.

Yep, hierarchies exist, and it would be foolish to think that humans are on the top.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, hierarchies exist, and it would be foolish to think that humans are on the top.

For sure. There are, IMO, forces in the universe so different from us that we don't even have the intelligence to begin to understand what they are.

Perhaps they have the power to send an asteroid in our direction to start over again, like happened to the dinosaurs. No intelligent life form would be impressed with the way we have destroyed our environment. Very bad caretakers of the planet are we.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For sure. There are, IMO, forces in the universe so different from us that we don't even have the intelligence to begin to understand what they are.

Perhaps they have the power to send an asteroid in our direction to start over again, like happened to the dinosaurs. No intelligent life form would be impressed with the way we have destroyed our environment. Very bad caretakers of the planet are we.

Happened before, it will happen again.

I can't prove it, but it's quite possible that Planet Earth itself is self-conscious.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/7/2019 at 3:38 PM, mauGR1 said:

Happened before, it will happen again.

I can't prove it, but it's quite possible that Planet Earth itself is self-conscious.

Gaia is the planet's "intelligence". Comes up with things like Climate Change to remove bad occupants ( humans ) that destroy the environment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Gaia is the planet's "intelligence". Comes up with things like Climate Change to remove bad occupants ( humans ) that destroy the environment.

I think we helped it quite a bit. 

If you look at it, there is no meaning, just randem happenings leading to evolution. People can think what they want, but there is no other purpose than right here right now! 

A song by fatboy slim actually if Im not wrong! 

5 hours ago, Tagged said:

I think we helped it quite a bit. 

If you look at it, there is no meaning, just randem happenings leading to evolution. People can think what they want, but there is no other purpose than right here right now! 

A song by fatboy slim actually if Im not wrong! 

The Jesus Jones song sprung into mind when I read your post... 

Obviously the name of the band is somewhat apt for this thread ???? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My mum said something very similar to me yesterday though she actually said that God is driving Climate Change as a way to slow down population growth so we don't "Kill" the planet.

It was prefixed with a "You don't believe in God but I do and I think.... "

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The Jesus Jones song sprung into mind when I read your post... 

Obviously the name of the band is somewhat apt for this thread ???? 

This is right up about what we talking about ????

• Like 2

On 10/9/2019 at 7:26 PM, Tagged said:

This is right up about what we talking about ????

Very amusing, but why does the video begin at a period of 350 billion years ago? The age of the universe is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years, the age of the Earth about 4.5 billion years, and the appearance of the first forms of life on Earth are estimated to have occurred about 3.5 billion years ago or possibly earlier.

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

Very amusing, but why does the video begin at a period of 350 billion years ago? The age of the universe is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years, the age of the Earth about 4.5 billion years, and the appearance of the first forms of life on Earth are estimated to have occurred about 3.5 billion years ago or possibly earlier.

Artistic freedom ????

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

The King James Version (KJV) Bible tells a different story.  The most important part of what the Bible tells us, is we will all stand before Jesus Christ and be judged for what we did with our lives while on Earth.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, Tagged said:

If you look at it, there is no meaning, just randem happenings leading to evolution.

Yes indeed. Evolution that just happened to include horses that people could ride, wolves that could be domesticated into dogs to hunt food for humans, oxen that could be used to haul things for humans, plants that could be used to farm, etc.

The only thing I haven't been able to work out is why things like malaria and plague were also in the mix. Perhaps to limit population numbers, and when we developed medicine to stop so many dying it has to be war, or climate change?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only thing I haven't been able to work out is why things like malaria and plague were also in the mix. Perhaps to limit population numbers, and when we developed medicine to stop so many dying it has to be war, or climate change?

If we look at "existence as humans" in a neutral, detached way, we can observe many things that are good for humans, other things that are not so good.... Venomous snakes, we tend to stay away from them, yet they exist, and there must be a reason why they exist. (don't ask me the reason)

We have a body which allow us to experience the good and the bad, and learn how to cope with life.

We have the possibility to make the world better, or worse.

Why not simply accept the reality, and try to make the best of it ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

If we look at "existence as humans" in a neutral, detached way, we can observe many things that are good for humans, other things that are not so good.... Venomous snakes, we tend to stay away from them, yet they exist, and there must be a reason why they exist. (don't ask me the reason)

We have a body which allow us to experience the good and the bad, and learn how to cope with life.

My reality sucks.

Some guys are born lucky- they have parents that love them, they're popular at school, they get good jobs, the pretty girl, nice children, loadsacash, flash car, flash house and die in their sleep at 92 surrounded by a loving family. The rest of us get to suck on <deleted>.

Unfortunately I'm one of the latter.

If I wasn't able to make the best of things I'd have offed myself decades ago.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My reality sucks.

Some guys are born lucky- they have parents that love them, they're popular at school, they get good jobs, the pretty girl, nice children, loadsacash, flash car, flash house and die in their sleep at 92 surrounded by a loving family. The rest of us get to suck on <deleted>.

Unfortunately I'm one of the latter.

If I wasn't able to make the best of things I'd have offed myself decades ago.

Well, whenever i feel less fortunate, i just look around and see people much less fortunate.

I realised that when everything is going well, my ego swells and i become very superficial: when things go wrong, there is some lesson to be learned.

In other words, it's better, imho not to get too excited when things are good, and not depressed when things go wrong, well, i try ????

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes indeed. Evolution that just happened to include horses that people could ride, wolves that could be domesticated into dogs to hunt food for humans, oxen that could be used to haul things for humans, plants that could be used to farm, etc.

Do you think we will last as long as Dionsours? 

Are we at an end, or just started? What is gods plan with us? 

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

The King James Version (KJV) Bible tells a different story.  The most important part of what the Bible tells us, is we will all stand before Jesus Christ and be judged for what we did with our lives while on Earth.

No problem then. I'm very well-behaved. ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

Do you think we will last as long as Dionsours? 

Are we at an end, or just started? What is gods plan with us? 

The Bible is filled with clear statements regarding God’s plan that apply to all believers. For example, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 teaches, “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” These three activities—being joyful, praying, and giving thanks—are God’s will for all believers, regardless of other circumstances.

We can rest assured of God’s promise: “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you” (James 4:8). As we pray, study Scripture, and seek to live holily before the Lord, He will reveal His plan for us in His perfect time and in a way we can understand.

4 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I would say that's a fundamental principle at work in the evolutionary process. Accept reality and make the best of it. Those creatures who succeed in making the 'best of it' tend to thrive, and over many, many generations, gradually evolve into different creatures. Those who don't or can't make the best of it, for whatever reason, become extinct.

I would define 'making the best of it' as 'adaption to, and exploitation of one's environment or surroundings' with the motivation of survival and propagation, based on the sex drive.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no 'sex drive'. We'd all be Buddhist monks and soon become extinct because people are not prepared to grow food in case they kill worms and insects in the soil. ????

Even earth worms have a sex drive. The total mass weight of worms under our feet, across the entire globe, is far, far greater than the total mass weight of the 7.7 billion humans above the surface, even taking into account that half the Homo Sapiens are significantly overweight. ????

Although I'm not religious, I sympathize with the Roman Catholic rule against the use of contraception, because it's clear that Sex is for the purpose of propagation, and if you believe that the sexual drive was created by God for this purpose, then it's understandable that devoutly religious people will think one should not interfere in this process.

However, since I do not believe in God (as described in any of the scriptures of any religion), I think that contraception is a necessary adaption to our changing environment and conditions, that will help the survival of the Homo Sapiens species by reducing an unsustainable population explosion that, in the absence of modern science and medicine, would have been kept in balance by the effects of harmful bacteria, snakes and other predators, which have their own motivation to reproduce.

The sex-driven motivation to reproduce is so strong that certain species of female spiders will actually eat the male spider after copulation has taken place, in order to provide food for the developing offspring in the female body.

Religion is woefully inept at adapting to changing conditions, as our scientific understanding progresses.

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

The Bible is filled with clear statements regarding God’s plan that apply to all believers. For example, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 teaches, “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” These three activities—being joyful, praying, and giving thanks—are God’s will for all believers, regardless of other circumstances.

We can rest assured of God’s promise: “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you” (James 4:8). As we pray, study Scripture, and seek to live holily before the Lord, He will reveal His plan for us in His perfect time and in a way we can understand.

It doesnt appear to you as just false promises to pull you inn as a member of something bigger than yourselves, and have nothing to do with god at all? 

Just politics to make you feel loved and belonging to something or someone. 

How can people be so sure of the text is the truth, that I do not get. A blind following a blind, feeding the rich is what I believe what it is about. Peoples need to serve the power is another. 

44 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Religion is woefully inept at adapting to changing conditions, as our scientific understanding progresses.

That's the only little mistake which i found in your otherwise very good post.

That's again, a common misunderstanding of religion.

Jesus said clear and loud, "religion is made for the man, and not the man for religion".

In other words, religion is ok, but the man is more important, so feel free to ditch the religion when the religion is against common sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

That's the only little mistake which i found in your otherwise very good post.

That's again, a common misunderstanding of religion.

Jesus said clear and loud, "religion is made for the man, and not the man for religion".

In other words, religion is ok, but the man is more important, so feel free to ditch the religion when the religion is against common sense.

Can you support this view with quotes from the religious texts? I'm sure CMNightrider would be interested. ????

1 minute ago, VincentRJ said:

Can you support this view with quotes from the religious texts? I'm sure CMNightrider would be interested. ????

When the peasants were harvesting on Saturday, and the priests were crying shame, Jesus got upset and said "Saturday's for the man, not the man for Saturday".

I 'd guess CMNightrider knows this quote very well, although he might not agree with my interpretation.