SE Asia options for expats/ex Thailand.

seasia

Hi

The number of alternative location threads seem to be increasing exponentially.

Vietnam seems popular with some. I have visited, quite liked it but very low chance I would move there.

Europe/Eurasia likely my choice but if anyone wants to post their experiences thoughts on SE Asia alternatives., feel free to add here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seasia said:

Vietnam seems popular with some. I have visited, quite liked it but very low chance I would move there.

So a start would be Vietnam, how long do you get on entry, how much for visa to stay there, how much for long term rent, what's the food like, banks & atm's access, what sort of social life available. ???  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Ex Soviet republics?

I would give Kazakhstan a double thumbs up, having lived and worked there for over 2 years. Not sure how easy it would be to get a residency visa though if not married to a Kazakh. 

Cost of living was very low, much less than Thailand but winter weather isnt for all. Personally I loved the winter.

• Like 2

A question for the Americans on here: how would Puerto Rico be as a retirement destination for a non-American, specifically a Brit? I know it got ravaged by the hurricane a year or two back, and that its finances are in a pretty awful state, but the climate is tropical and the scenery looks great. Being a part of the US, if not an incorporated part, is it better run than the usual tropical retirement locations in SEA, like Thailand and the PI? Are the locals friendly, or are they all gringo-hating Hispanics? Anybody care to give a list of pros and cons? I'd assume that the shops are well-stocked and reasonably-priced, hospitals are decent quality, police not much more corrupt than the average US cop, or am I dreaming?

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I would give Kazakhstan a double thumbs up, having lived and worked there for over 2 years. Not sure how easy it would be to get a residency visa though if not married to a Kazakh. 

Cost of living was very low, much less than Thailand but winter weather isnt for all. Personally I loved the winter.

I should love a winter right at this very moment 

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I looked it up on residency without marriage. Quick answer -- FORGET ABOUT IT. 

• Like 1

Would not choose Purto Rico, worked there 3 months on a job for oil company. Dirty, expensive, may or may not have power most days. In the 90's was the place to go, unfortunately the government never maintained the infrastructure, calling 3rd world is a compliment. 

At present, live in Chaing Rai, but looking at Cambodia hard. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

A question for the Americans on here: how would Puerto Rico be as a retirement destination for a non-American, specifically a Brit? I know it got ravaged by the hurricane a year or two back, and that its finances are in a pretty awful state, but the climate is tropical and the scenery looks great. Being a part of the US, if not an incorporated part, is it better run than the usual tropical retirement locations in SEA, like Thailand and the PI? Are the locals friendly, or are they all gringo-hating Hispanics? Anybody care to give a list of pros and cons? I'd assume that the shops are well-stocked and reasonably-priced, hospitals are decent quality, police not much more corrupt than the average US cop, or am I dreaming?

Don't know about Puerto Rico but Mexico is great and lots of fun.

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It think that's because Vietnam is the new destination for refugee expats from the surrounding nations.  

So now we are at the level of refugee status.... says it all. Visas getting tight and more expensive..... same can be said for the pussy.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

I'm in Vietnam at present and to add to your list:

Nha Trang. Beach city.

Bright lights and Chinese and Russians package tourists.

Vung Tao. Down the road from HCMC. Beach.

Closest thing you'll get to Pattaya that I know of.

Hoi An. Down the road from Da Nang.

Far more laid back than Da Nang. Beach close by.

Dalat

In the Central Highlands. Cool place.

HanoI

Bustling city loved by many.

Over to the experts..........

Very nice info I certainly am interested visiting several these town mentioned by u.

What according to u is big difference for expats between HCMC and Hanoi?

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

HCMC is much warmer (was there week before last) but I didn't see many expats. Hanoi can be quite cold in winter.

Phnom Penh on the other hand (was there last week) is packed with retirees around my age (50-70), drank with 4 or 5 every night.

Can't really compare between Hanoi and HCMC, but Phnom Penh is packed with Girly bars, while HCMC is full of sexy massage parlours, so depends how you like your sexual services.

Only a comfy $10 bus trip (5hr) between the two cities.

Honestly been several times to PP and don’t  like that city much so i guess it makes me a massage parlour guy????.

I live in Vietnam. Longer term Vietnam visas are getting harder to get and are becoming more expensive. There no retirement visas or extensions. My current 6-month multi-entry Business cost $350US/11,000 baht. Had a one-year Business visa before that that also cost me $350. In effect, it doubled in price. The 2-year Temporary Residence Card has gone through the roof at $1600US/50,000 baht late last year. Was half that in mid-2018 and half of that again in 2017. 

Most people run on 3-month single entry visas, doing border runs to Cambodia. Yes, with the right agents, some can get longer visas and extensions. But then a month later, you find out the price has increased hugely or they remain unavailable for a period of time. Availability also depends on what immigration district you live in. You just never know.

I was just quoted $160US/5,000 baht for a 3-month multi-entry. I'm reconsidering my future in VN for visa and other reasons. I don't want to keep having to do visa runs every three months. And I want to travel on my own initiative.  

Just heard a rumour today from a long-time expat that a retirement visa is in the works. I will bet that it's going to be way more expensive than Thailand's or Cambodia's. It think that's because Vietnam is the new destination for refugee expats from the surrounding nations. 
If VN offers a retirement visa that has a path to permanent residence I would be very interested. Otherwise I ain't moving anywhere that doesn't offer that. Learned that lesson from Thailand.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 3421abc said:

if u dont have a work permit you can open a bank account.in some banks but you can only make deposits if they come from overseas.

So you have European debit card can get money from a bank or ATM to live.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mahseer said:

I'm in Vietnam at present and to add to your list:

Nha Trang. Beach city.

Bright lights and Chinese and Russians package tourists.

Vung Tao. Down the road from HCMC. Beach.

Closest thing you'll get to Pattaya that I know of.

Hoi An. Down the road from Da Nang.

Far more laid back than Da Nang. Beach close by.

Dalat

In the Central Highlands. Cool place.

HanoI

Bustling city loved by many.

Over to the experts..........

What about renting a place to live.?