Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

Col Kathathorn also confirmed that the new insusrance requirement applies only to Non-Immigrant O-A "retirement" visas.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php
Read further.

The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#kvQKZIg50IKYLxs3.99

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agree.

"Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts so as to make sure that they have enough to live in Thailand".

The article is tabloid journalism. Written and edited to grab attention. (think UK Sun, Mirror, Daily Star). Authorities already have considered and have implemented requiring higher bank deposits via the new Police Order with which we are all becoming familiar.

It is no co-incidence that the figure of 400,000 Baht ‘in-patient’ cover for mandatory insurance is the same as the requirement to continuously maintain a minimum 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank. This is a form of security bond.

Falling below this bonded amount at any time whatsoever will forfeit your right to any future extensions of stay. Having this amount in a bank enables (government) hospitals to legally seek payment or even seek a garnishee order to enforce recovery of any outstanding hospital bills. Easily applied, as the debtor then has a choice: pay-up or visa cancelled. Leave.

Living expenses, quite separate from this bond, would be the difference between the 800,000 Baht for 2/3 months prior / post application for extension and 400,000 Baht. Dependent on lifestyle, may need augmenting by additional top-ups from other (overseas) sources.

It is quite probable that mandatory insurance is to be required for first time visa applications, but then for subsequent extensions of stay, perhaps, once clarified, will translate to either purchasing annual insurance with cover of 400,000 Baht, or where insurance is not possible, retaining the same amount bonded and certified as held in a Thai Bank. (The infamous bank letter).

Not obvious at all.

20 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Many long-stay foreigners in Thailand are, like me, either too old and infirm to get private medical cover - at any price.

Unless the Thai authorities fail to implement the suggested alternative of a deposited lump sum in lieu of potential medical care, the only alternative for some of us will be to up sticks and go.

Is this really what the government wants - particularly considering how many of us are supporting Thai families and making a substantial contribution to GDP?

Retirees unable to buy medical insurance are caught between a rock and a hard place, forced to pay as private patients in Thailand, yet often denied state healthcare in their own homelands.  

The "uninsurables" among us are praying the Thai government will accept a lump sum of cash in the bank as an acceptable alternative for visa purposes. There is, however, another option immigration bosses might consider.

Why not let the unlucky few who seem to have fallen through a crack in official policy, pay to become temporary members of the Thai state health scheme for the remaining few years of  their lives?  They could be asked to contribute an age-related joining fee plus an annual premium to get the same treatment as Thais.

This would be a win-win situation, generating much-needed upfront funding for the creaking Thai health service  (a worthier cause, arguably, than any insurance company) while providing some peace of mind for a particularly vulnerable minority.

The alternative, for many of us "uninsurables" is unthinkable.

Surely, not even the most hard-hearted government would wish us to abandon our Thai families - a wife and five children in my case - and the country we have learned to call home.

I think they would.  It's not a friendly country in my experience with the government.  Better than most including the country I left but still that's not saying much. 

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

You aren't bullet proof. Let's see how you fare after a lengthy hospital stay after a couple of major operations.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

You aren't bullet proof. Let's see how you fare after a lengthy hospital stay after a couple of major operations.

You pompous ass. (I'd use an r in there, which would be more appropriate, but it wouldn't get through the censorship.)

10 minutes ago, Jim P said:

What will be the situation in the next few months? I already have my new Non O-A visa and I am ready to retire to Thailand in August. I fully intend getting a comprehensive  insurance policy once I am there but will just have a 90 day insurance on entry. Is there any chance I will be stopped entry at the airport?

Probably, for O-As, they'll end up implementing this at the point of application, when you go to the Embassy/Consulate....  And if they end up extending it to retirement extensions of stay, at the point you go to Thai Immigration.

But there's no guarantee they might not end up checking compliance at the airports upon arrival... Best to stay tuned for whenever the actual rules and implementation policies end up filtering out.

If you plan to arrive by August, probably, you'll get in before they finally settle all the details of this... But no guarantees on that point.

• Like 1

So more bullshit from this country.  800,000Baht in bank and can only use half of it and now they want to force you to have health insurance which will probably not cover a lot of claims.  What about people who can not get insurance because of age or other problems?  Total BULLSHIT!!!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

Will probably still need travel insurance, and the cost of 4 return air flights ain't cheap - probably more expensive than the "mandatory health insurance" 

There more to it. Im paying 56k baht a year for just one med here there is no generic for. Going back to OZ it costs 2k per years under there PBS system. I wouldn't go back just for that though but after 12 years its time for a change and come back to BKK twice a year and check into the nana hotel for a blast as a tourist like I use to before becoming "expat"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

If over 65 they (P Cross) need a medical. I had one and the results were so bad I never got the insurance thinking any claim would result in pre existing conditions get out for them. Went home had the tests re done- no problems showed up at all. 400k minimum cover of course is no where near enough if you develop serious illness like cancer or heart problems, you need about a million in cover.

i can put that on just one Visa card.  so what's the problem?  never buy anything that i can not pay off in one month

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Immigration often refer to extensions as Visas.

In that context they mean 'long stayer's', which will almost certainly include 1 year extensions.

That's a language/terminology issue with the Thai government and Immigration that I've noted earlier in this thread. That's why I think they do intend this to apply to retirement extensions, because they often refer to them as "visas", and rarely seem to use the term "extensions of stay" in their own official announcements.

Now, whether that will also extend to marriage extensions, that's an iffier question to me at this point. Lately, they seem to be treating retirement extensions differently than marriage ones. So I'm hopeful they'll limit this new rule to just O-As and retirement extensions only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

I know and understand your point and that is why I have my Axa expat with repatriation  12500€ as only my home country national insurance shall keep me alive as long possible (lol) 

Remember Schumacher coma time …. you think your expensive insurance can pay that time in Thailand Bangkok hospitals ....... Are you a Schumacher $$$$$$ one :biggrin: All insurances have a limit 

I only try to keep up with immigration requirements ...

you can create a living will that will authorize you being unplugged and put on the barbie.  who wants to be a veggie?

No. The article was unclear. Read it carefully and you will get it.

The article relies on translations and has journalistic licence. Seeing as OX visas already require compulsory insurance, and a few months ago it was clear the government was considering the same for OA visas, the fact that now "cabinet confirmation" is being reported would suggest that it's confirmation of what had previously been discussed, and nothing more.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez seriously??

Kind of pushing things isn´t it?

This thread will go on for many pages with 99% of the attacks on the Government, ins. companies and immigration.

Very naive and not real.

The fact is this had been talked about for several years do to the irresponsible, low life expats who do not pay their hospital bills.  That is the truth but all the BS will continue....

"irresponsible, low life expats who do not pay their hospital bills."

What about the irresponsible low life hospitals that overcharge their patients to the extent that they charge 4000 baht just for a doctor to say "Hello"? And that's before any examination or treatment!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, malibukid said:

you can create a living will that will authorize you being unplugged and put on the barbie.  who wants to be a veggie?

exactly that option is available in my home country even not simple unplugging, but active ending !! …..,not in Thailand ,and the Barbie is more rafined , no pieces anymore , clean white dust , here in Thailand just roughly done....,oh and forgot almost that expat axa ins. covers or cremating or buried Thailand at max . 40K, or dead body & coffin  repatriated up to Home country origin .

Last flight 

Edited by david555

8 hours ago, Farang99 said:

No company will issue insurance for anyone over 75. Does this mean we are all going to have to leave?

That's one question that will never be answered. If all the expats who cannot get health insurance leaves Thailand, how is all the Thai government and bigwigs going to keep up their income stream, their big houses, cars and mia nois?

I still think it is a good idea, & the person who said what about a person who is refused insurance because of health ? My answer would be ,,, should they really be considering a long term stay in Thailand,,,,, NO

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's one question that will never be answered. If all the expats who cannot get health insurance leaves Thailand, how is all the Thai government and bigwigs going to keep up their income stream, their big houses, cars and mia nois?

Probably from the other 99.9% of people that contribute to his income stream. Good thing that they're all Thai citizens, eh?

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

contacted Hua Hin IO an hour ago for clarification, they have no information about this at all..

Surprise surprise :whistling: as they only decided in April 

Edited by david555

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

For every  1 falang that has to go, at the minimum 2 Thais will loose there income.

Thailand is just stealing money for it's own people in the log run.

Big own goal i would say, but as we all know Thailand's rich and powerful care not about there citizens.

The future tourist of Thailand will be the Chinese, Indian, Korean etc. they no longer have the need for the Westeners. We are but a tadpole in an Ocean of Asiatics!

Edited by ianezy0

I read a lot of pages in this thread, but I didn't see any questions for following situation:

Over 50, but working on a WP. Medical insurance paid by company, but opd coverage is way below 40k. Furthermore I also have the health care of the social security benefits which covers quite a lot actually. 

Will the people over 50 and still working be forced into getting upgraded health insurance? 

If TRICARE won't work as proof of  insurance just going to change from retirement to marriage extension next time.  Marriage extensions are becoming  less complicated than retirement. Of course if this does apply to  retirement extensions. Not sure yet.

8 hours ago, MellowYellow101 said:

Just a quick question, what are the laws / rules on the NHS not being 'free' to UK citizens after having left the UK for a set amount of time? 

Don't bother about the rules, there are lots of ways round this. UK MPs only bother about rules when it suits them, so the UK people should do the same.

3 minutes ago, Cheops said:

I read a lot of pages in this thread, but I didn't see any questions for following situation:

Over 50, but working on a WP. Medical insurance paid by company, but opd coverage is way below 40k. Furthermore I also have the health care of the social security benefits which covers quite a lot actually. 

Will the people over 50 and still working be forced into getting upgraded health insurance? 

That would be for next round up , as they only slowly start seeing all the extra options to make money now , so beware for future comings.... the ghost is out the bottle now 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

so kind of  him to  tell us

With all the accidents without insurance each year it seems needed ... :thumbsup: