Swedish "YouTuber" was not fined on expressway say RTP as investigation begins

webfact

Swedish "YouTuber" was not fined on expressway say RTP as investigation begins

4pm.jpg

Thai caption: Caption: He wasn't fined

Police in Bangkok have hit back at a Swedish motorcycle rider on a world tour who said he was fined 1,000 baht for riding on the expressway. 

The story featured on "Gromance Adventures" on Facebook where the poster - named by The Nation as Nicklas Aittamaa - intimated that the cops were jealous of his "rad bike" and had ripped him off. 

High ranking policeman Maj-Gen Jirasan Kaewsaeng-ek said that the incident happened on the Don Muang tollway. 

Tollway staff initially stopped the rider from entering the road saying it was illegal. Then police were called who reiterated that he couldn't ride there and would be fined 1,000 baht if he did. 

No money changed hands with the police, he said.

The Swedish poster - said to be a YouTuber by Daily News - said he paid to avoid going to the station.

Daily News reported that Maj-Gen Nitthithorn Jintakanon said that there were language problems as it was explained that expressways in Thailand did not have the same regulations that the rider may have been used to in other countries. 

Meanwhile TNA published a report saying that an investigation was underway at the RTP to determine if there was really money handed over to a policeman or other official on the tollway - without a receipt. 

Thaivisa has tried to contact the rider through Messenger on Facebook so far without reply. 

His posts suggest that he has now moved on to Malaysia. 

Source: Daily NewsTNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-11

Related story:
Foreign tourist cries foul over ‘fine’ for riding on expressway in Bangkok

Anyhoo, who to believe? Not really hard to guess. 

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

No money changed hands with the police, he said.

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile TNA published a report saying that an investigation was underway at the RTP to determine if there was really money handed over to a policeman

Not a good start when you're already lying about knowing. (Which by the way is supposed to be a crime)

Edited by rkidlad

36 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

lying police and their BS. Sicking. The same thing happened to me. 1000 baht. Was I wrong? Yes. But this is not how you pay traffic violations.

I was on a first time trip on my motorcycle through Bangkok trying to navigate alone and the next thing you know you are on the express way and there is no way to turn around. And they see you are farang and have a nice bike so 1000 baht please.  

Did you keep the receipt? ????

• Haha 1

Changing the subject slightly, some years ago I went to Bangkok docks to pick up a crate in my pick-up, It was securely loaded, but when I got to the expressway, I was stopped, and fined 1,000 bt. It had been a long hard day, as nothing is straight forward here, so I paid, as I was tired, and just wanted to get back to Chiang Mai, I never did understand what the fine was for, the copper just said not allowed on expressway ???????

I was allowed to continue, but not stopped again, of course No Ticket.

Edited by grumpy 4680
after thought.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

His posts suggest that he has now moved on to Malaysia. 

Good idea.  Probably not a good idea to come back - "tarnishing the pristine image of Thailand" and all.

3 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Can someone please explain why suitable capacity bikes are banned from express ways now that they have electronic tolls?

Its probably the best choice in LOS as it keeps 13 year old boys with Kawasaki ZX10R 1000's off the motorways.

crash.jpg.bdfea12fe07335632d4134d57c1d2582.jpg

• Like 1

Again, sometimes I have doubts about the  articles that I read. Factual reporting is sometimes as questionable as the civility of posters on TVF.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Changing the subject slightly, some years ago I went to Bangkok docks to pick up a crate in my pick-up, It was securely loaded, but when I got to the expressway, I was stopped, and fined 1,000 bt. It had been a long hard day, as nothing is straight forward here, so I paid, as I was tired, and just wanted to get back to Chiang Mai, I never did understand what the fine was for, the copper just said not allowed on expressway ???????

If the crate exceeds the height of the cab, they’ll fine you.....maybe. Shame the guys at the entry booth don’t tell you that. 

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and for one millisecond I was thinking I will just hit the gas and be gone but I really don't do stuff like that anymore

That's shattered my minds image of you NCC .. 

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

He asked me where I was coming from and where I was going. I said Pattaya. To meet your sister. (OK that last part was not out loud

Hahahaha .. Now you're image has been redeemed .. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

lying police and their BS. Sicking. The same thing happened to me. 1000 baht. Was I wrong? Yes. But this is not how you pay traffic violations.

I was on a first time trip on my motorcycle through Bangkok trying to navigate alone and the next thing you know you are on the express way and there is no way to turn around. And they see you are farang and have a nice bike so 1000 baht please.  

I was stopped on the carriageway near Don Muang airport riding my Forza by a lone police man, he asked me for 1000Bt, I said no, I will give you 300Bt, be said OK.

I always keep 300Bt in my pocket when using carriageways in case I get stopped. That was the only time I was ever stopped on any Thai carriageways.

6 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Yes, I have had the 'pickup cannot enter here' game pulled on me at the Sukhumvit-Ploenchit on-ramp. In lieu of the 1000 baht spot fine, I dutifully surrendered my long expired Texas DL for a ticket with the earnest promise to go pay at the station.

53 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The guy has an Italian name, on the bike an Italian flag, but he's Swedish? Well....

Aittamaa is not an Italian name , it's a common name in Finland and also parts of Sweden. 

The Italian flag on his bike probably just means he's been there with his bike. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Except for riding a motorcycle on the expressway most risks are avoided by using easy pass. There used to be a scam at Rama IV tollbooth the clerks would yell out "Farang" and a cop would run over to make up a charge for the 1000 Baht donation to the policeman's ball.

Edited by Sakeopete
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Cargo on the tollways has to be covered,a net or tarp will do.