Ten people, including one suspect, killed in Dayton, Ohio shooting

webfact

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Who writes federal gun control laws in The USA?  Would seem to me to be the first question. 

A.  Democratic controlled House of Representatives

B.  President Trump

I hope you're not American because that would mean you either missed or failed basic civics. The House and Senate write the laws.  The President can veto those laws. The veto can be overrridden by a 2/3 majority in the House and the Senate.

• Like 1

Just now, bristolboy said:

I hope you're not American because that would mean you either missed or failed basic civics. The House and Senate write the laws.  The President can veto those laws. The veto can be overrridden by a 2/3 majority in the House and the Senate.

So who writes the laws?  I gave you two choices, The President or the Democratically controlled House of Representatives.  You answered it of the two choices I gave you it is the Democrat controlled House of representatives.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yep.

It sounds like some people could use a tutorial.

I gave you two choices of those two, the President or the Democrat controlled House of Representatives who writes the laws and the answer is the Democrat controlled House of Representatives.  I doubt the Senate will write a law about Gun Control.  I also doubt in this climate

for the next couple of weeks it Trump could veto it.  However having said that this Democrat controlled House of Representatives will not write a law because they have no courage. 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I gave you two choices of those two, the President or the Democrat controlled House of Representatives who writes the laws and the answer is the Democrat controlled House of Representatives.  I doubt the Senate will write a law about Gun Control.  I also doubt in this climate

for the next couple of weeks it Trump could veto it.  However having said that this Democrat controlled House of Representatives will not write a law because they have no courage. 

You realise there is already a law approved by Congress sitting in the bottom drawer at the Senate?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stevenl said:

You realise there is already a law approved by Congress sitting in the bottom drawer at the Senate?

I've posted about that numerous times recently. The house passed it. The senate buried it. The current occupant of the white house didn't even mention it in his weak tea speech tonight which obviously means he will NOT be ordering the senate leader to get it passed. Shameful! 

• Like 2

A few off-topic, abusive posts have been removed.   There has been a lot of discussion about the El Paso shooting.   There is an thread on that subject, continuing to do it here will earn a warning and suspension.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've posted about that numerous times recently. The house passed it. The senate buried it. The current occupant of the white house didn't even mention it in his weak tea speech tonight which obviously means he will NOT be ordering the senate leader to get it passed. Shameful! 

Yes I do and now is the time to re submit but I don't know if that is off topic so I won't mention it again.  Is there a lets pass a gun control topic someplace that I've missed?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes I do and now is the time to re submit but I don't know if that is off topic so I won't mention it again.  Is there a lets pass a gun control topic someplace that I've missed?

Nice try. You are continuing to demonstrate your unfamiliarity with how the creation and passage of bills work. How can the bill be resubmitted when it hasn't been submitted yet? The Senate has yet to work on its version. And then both versions have to be reconciled with each other into a final version. Only that version can be submitted to the President.. 

P.S. Since the moderator didn't delete my post on this subject which appears directly above his, I think it's safe to assume that this isn't off topic.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:28 AM, DrDave said:

The real issue here is that nobody seems to be interested in identifying and addressing the root causes of this kind of violence.

Supposedly it was a family feud of some sort.

Edited by BritManToo

Is this another one of your ignorance tests? It is to laugh
House Passes Sweeping Gun Bill

The House passed what advocates call the most significant gun control measure in more than two decades on Wednesday when it approved the first of two bills aimed at broadening the federal background check system for firearms purchases.
The vote on the first bill, dubbed the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, passed largely along party lines 240 to 190 with Democrats who control the House cheering as they carried the legislation across the finish line.
A second bill, expected to be taken up Thursday, would extend the period federal authorities have to complete a background check before a gun sale can go through. 
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/27/698512397/house-passes-most-significant-gun-bill-in-2-decades

How will background checks be improved?