Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

On 8/19/2019 at 9:27 AM, longevity said:

How hard was that? 

I'm returning after 15 years here. Had enough, but was wondering how to cash out. Last time I tried wiring any money to the UK, there was loads of hoops to jump through, and it was only a small amount. 

I found it fairly easy, my Thai wife explained to the bank that the money was required to buy a house, and in all, I probably spent the best part of two days waiting in different banks to have the money transferred.

Our big problem occurred when we came across the U.K. money laundering laws, as we had to show, and have translated the documents to show where the money came from, in my case a Bkk condo sale. 

Strangely a couple of local solicitors gave up on the procedure. I then contacted a firm of solicitors in London, who managed to complete the house purchase fairly quickly and smoothly.

12 hours ago, nontabury said:

Where are you staying,certainly not in the same part of the U.K as myself. 

All I ever seem to see is very fat people, especially the females. The few who are reasonable slim, are usually non Brits. This was confirmed to me last week, while in London, where to be fair, there were many non fat people, but again those who I heard speak, seemed to be talking a foreign language.

They will soon fatten up...????

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, nontabury said:

I found it fairly easy, my Thai wife explained to the bank that the money was required to buy a house, and in all, I probably spent the best part of two days waiting in different banks to have the money transferred.

Our big problem occurred when we came across the U.K. money laundering laws, as we had to show, and have translated the documents to show where the money came from, in my case a Bkk condo sale. 

Strangely a couple of local solicitors gave up on the procedure. I then contacted a firm of solicitors in London, who managed to complete the house purchase fairly quickly and smoothly.

From what I can gather wiring large or fairly large amounts to a UK bank is not a problem, but it's when you want to use that money, ie to buy a house, you then have to prove the source of the funds? Is that about right?

• Like 1

All I ever seem to see is very fat people, especially the females. The few who are reasonable slim, are usually non Brits. This was confirmed to me last week, while in London, where to be fair, there were many non fat people, but again those who I heard speak, seemed to be talking a foreign language.

On a recent visit to the UK I was invited by a family member to attend Speech Day at a well known public school in Dorset.There must have been hundreds of people attending and they were of all ages.I suppose it was a reasonable cross section of the upper middle class.

I didn’t see one fat person there.

In the UK obesity is primarily a problem of the lower classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Sad 1
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, NightSky said:

You can’t be comparing like for like. Internet in UK is 27gbp/month not 50 etc

Most utility bills are more expensive in UK but food is cheaper. Although it depends how much fuel you use as to how much it costs and also what energy rating your house is.

They can only get BT internet so you have to pay their standing charge. The price I stated was for BT service (Phone line and internet) not any calls those are extra.

Sorry for the late update but have just looked up BT last 3 month bill, That was 154.78p inclusive of VAT. That's without calls. I pay all the utility bills by D/D and my daughter reimburses me. So I know exactly what they pay. 

Edited by fredob43
On 8/10/2019 at 5:49 PM, RichardColeman said:

God, knows what they using then - I know I'm on my own but my water is max £12, my electric is max £50, my gas max £40 (averaged) = £100 quid ish a month. They must have the heating on all day, water the lawn all day and cook 2-3 meals a day ! They are the problem - no the utility company !

one shower a week then ????

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jayboy said:

In the UK obesity is primarily a problem of the lower classes.

Steady on j, I know what you mean but there are big uns across the divide in all countries. It is a carb (mostly sugar) thing, not a money thing.

Anyway, trust op is doing well... as long as he doesn't consume lower classed sugar.

Steady on j, I know what you mean but there are big uns across the divide in all countries. It is a carb (mostly sugar) thing, not a money thing.

Anyway, trust op is doing well... as long as he doesn't consume lower classed sugar.

Of course there are exceptions but it is the less well off that tend to eat excessive carbs.Weight is very much an indicator of social class.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Of course there are exceptions but it is the less well off that tend to eat excessive carbs.Weight is very much an indicator of social class.

The hoi-polloi, the lower orders. Yes, I know what you mean old boy.

Pass the port, there's a good chap.

:laugh:

Back on topic.....

Been so much rain oop north, almost like Engrand; still, I like fontok.

This was confirmed to me last week, while in London, where to be fair, there were many non fat people, but again those who I heard speak, seemed to be talking a foreign language.

Yep, it's called Cockney ????

Possibly, but I don't fancy being a 'farang' for the rest of my life...

I recently relocated from Thailand back to live in Luang Prabang, in north Laos.  Now when I go shopping in town, there is no more 'farang...' or 'falang ...'

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/20/2019 at 9:06 PM, nontabury said:

That's how people speak in Laaandarn!

:laugh:

I'm returning to the Uk after 21 years here in Thailand.

Nothing to do with the so called changes for the worse in Thailand, I don't subscribe to he idea that "they don't want us here", just a change of scenery. My 18 year old daughter is keen to see how things are done in UK and she is also keen to be nearer to her grandparents, I too am keen to be nearer to them as they get older and may need some assistance in everyday life. My wife will follow when we have her settlement visa sorted. Time frame??? Don't know but would be keen to retire back here in Thailand. I have a private pension at 60 (11 more years) so that is a target to head for.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I'm returning to the Uk after 21 years here in Thailand.

Nothing to do with the so called changes for the worse in Thailand, I don't subscribe to he idea that "they don't want us here", just a change of scenery. My 18 year old daughter is keen to see how things are done in UK and she is also keen to be nearer to her grandparents, I too am keen to be nearer to them as they get older and may need some assistance in everyday life. My wife will follow when we have her settlement visa sorted. Time frame??? Don't know but would be keen to retire back here in Thailand. I have a private pension at 60 (11 more years) so that is a target to head for.

Don't you think almost 50 is a bit old to be having a second bite of the cherry in the UK ?

Serious question because I doubt that your skill set has developed too much after 20 years spent in Thailand (I am assuming that your daughter is luk krung and you came here before her birth).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 8/18/2019 at 7:35 PM, Jip99 said:

You mentioned British, I disagree with you from observations of my time in the UK over the last couple of years.

Obesity is clearly more prevalent in Brits than their European counterparts residing in the UK....nothing discriminatory/racist about that - don’t try playing a race card where none exists.

I did mean *people living in Britain* , rather than just British people .

If a person is living in the UK I (quite possibly incorrectly) regard them as being British , rather than from where they come/came from .

So, when I stated that "British people seem a lot slimmer these days" , I didnt mean that all English people are slim and that all foreigners are fat , I did mean that people living in the UK seem a lot slimmer and fitter these days , compared to ten years ago , just from my casual observations 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 8/10/2019 at 2:19 AM, brokenbone said:

how much for short time ?

scary needing cards, i see the thais use it at 7/11 almost exclusively, i dont like using cards, i hope i die before it becomes mandatory

And

I hope I die before I get old. ????

OK this is related, I think. Anyone ever use Duty free in Heathrow? Generally I don't as 99% of duty free places are just rip-off stations.

Is it cheaper to buy a 'good' whisky in DF or on the High Street?

Re food in UK, When we holiday we always stay in places with our own kitchen etc and find it the best way. Maybe twice out for a meal to a local restaurant. DIY meals, buying good local produce in UK is a lot cheaper and can be washed down with a bottle of real wine at a sensible price.

• Like 1
On 8/11/2019 at 5:54 PM, White Christmas13 said:

why would you leave a country side as beautiful as this and no I am not Brit

again.jpeg

Welford-upon-Avon1.jpg

I see this every day. Stunning though it is, it is the norm (always has been) and becomes quite staid after a time. One pits oneself somewhere nearish middle class (means nothing really) but would happily reside with the rubber farmers in a basic shack in the southern Thai hills.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:57 AM, sanemax said:

First think that I noticed was that were lots of machines doing peoples jobs .

All the airport immigration officers gone and all done by machine  ,  put your passport in a slot and wait for the green light .

At the tube station, no human cashiers , just machines . Get on a bus , doesnt accept money , just cards .

That's changed since I left in 2009, but it's coming in all western countries- Big Brother has arrived. Next is the cashless society and we really are screwed.

What happens with tourists that don't have a card?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What happens with tourists that don't have a card?

They can use a contactless debit/credit card, same fares as using an Oyster card and still benefit from the daily price cap.
If they don't have a contactless card they can buy an Oyster from the vending machine at the ticket area.

• Like 2