Scooter Wreck and Passport Seizure

AS usual on this forum people do not read and if they read they do not comprehend.

They regurgitate the same thing over and over again.

A lot of ops ask for advive but they already made up their mind and will not listen to good advice but tend to listen to advice that fits their strategy.Too bad.

It is not always the foreigners fault,even in Hua hin.

Contrary to popular believe the tourist police actually help people,i have seen it many times.

You can not help someone who does not want help it seems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The OP is already in the situation he's in, telling him what he should have done at the time is no help to him now. Even if the bike rental place has insurance, which is unlikely, claiming on that will probably prove to be a nightmare. So he can keep insisting that he was not at fault and see if a deal can be struck, or he can get an emergency travel document and get out of there. However, as 10k has already been offered and refused, it sounds like someone's tying to fleece him. As the guy was in and out of the hospital in under 30 minutes, I think it would be fair to say that he's not badly hurt.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

The OP is already in the situation he's in, telling him what he should have done at the time is no help to him now. Even if the bike rental place has insurance, which is unlikely, claiming on that will probably prove to be a nightmare. So he can keep insisting that he was not at fault and see if a deal can be struck, or he can get an emergency travel document and get out of there. However, as 10k has already been offered and refused, it sounds like someone's tying to fleece him. As the guy was in and out of the hospital in under 30 minutes, I think it would be fair to say that he's not badly hurt.

If I were you, I would try and get a Thai friend to help you get a fully independent quote for repair of the bike, it may well turn out to be less than you think (and don't tell the bike shop who is giving the quote, it may well be someone they know and a quick phone call could see the quote quadrupled). Add on a couple of hundred baht for the inconvenience and give that to the bike shop. Then pay the guy who got hurt whatever the bills cost, but get a Thai to look at the bills and make sure they are not schoolboy forgeries. Sure, they're probably both gonna ask for more, but stand your ground, at least if you clear the issue you won't have to be concerned about being able to come back to Thailand.

If there's any funny business, particularly if they try and threaten you or refuse to hand back your passport, just go to your embassy and tell the truth about what happened and that they are trying to extort you, they'll be able to get you home where you can apply for a new passport. The people holding your passport are probably aware that it's worth many thousands of baht on the black market.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

I never heard of such an estimate before. If the guy doesn't have a dl, you shouldn't pay anything.

The cops decide whose fault it was and that can easily be changed in favor of somebody who gives them some money. Be happy that not more happened. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I never heard of such an estimate before. If the guy doesn't have a dl, you shouldn't pay anything.

The cops decide whose fault it was and that can easily be changed in favor of somebody who gives them some money. Be happy that not more happened. 

Good luck!

"I never heard of such an estimate before. If the guy doesn't have a dl, you shouldn't pay anything."

Him having a DL or not is immaterial.

"The cops decide whose fault it was and that can easily be changed in favor of somebody who gives them some money."

Sometimes they try, but if not to blame stand your ground. The police can then take it to court, but if their assessment is wrong they really don't want to do that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Haven’t read the whole thread but the por ra bor should cover there medical bills,,,,,you can get a whole new set of plastics for a scooter between 3 to 5000 bht.....

seems they are really trying it on here .....if you have a good Thai friend see if they will come to police station with you act as interpreter,get your point across,,let them know you want your passport back,,find out if other bike had the little tax sticker.

explain your position accident not your fault and you want your passport back.

You could threaten them with going to your embassy to report corruption and seizure off your passport but I don’t think it’s to clever to start threatening the police here,better just to stay polite and courteous but at the same time let them know you are no fool.

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 2

Not your fault, don’t pay a single Baht to the guilty party.

Get a Thai friend to accompany you to the police station when asked to attend. Present the bill for your damages, and expect the kids parents to pay you. 

A fool and his money are soon parted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Frazzled? - Tired or Drunk?

If it was not your fault, why would you be expected to pay anything?

If you were not drunk and not at fault, play firm. You don't have to pay anyone anything. They can try and get money from you, they can use threats etc... but in the end not much can be done other than create an inconvenience for you. The reason they expect or think you will pay is because other Westerners have wet their pants and paid up.

Trial over a damaged scooter ?? thats incredibly unlikely.

Report to your embassy that the Police have confiscated your passport and are shaking you down. 

Having been in a scooter accident myself, he's lucky the guy didn't die. Having given over the passport, he's screwed. I hope he has insurance or it's going to cost big time.

I was hit while stationary, but still paid for both bikes to be repaired, and the police fine ( 500 baht ). Luckily the guy that ran into me wasn't injured, but I was and paid large for hospital bills, though I did get some back on insurance.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Report to your embassy that the Police have confiscated your passport and are shaking you down. 

Seriously? What do you think they can do about it? They've probably heard similar thousands of times but it's nothing to do with them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I was hit while stationary, but still paid for both bikes to be repaired, and the police fine ( 500 baht ). Luckily the guy that ran into me wasn't injured, but I was and paid large for hospital bills, though I did get some back on insurance.

So you at no fault at all? or were you stationary in the wrong place? if not your fault you shouldn't of paid. Can't lose in court

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, jvs said:

Is the bike insured?That should pay for the hospital bill.

To my knowledge the insurance is only to pay for bike damage, if there is actually any at all, but depends on who he rented it from.

I'm amazed that the renters didn't take his passport, as that is the norm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

If I were you, I would try and get a Thai friend to help you get a fully independent quote for repair of the bike

OP has 15 posts. If he's a tourist how is he going to have a Thai friend that would do that for him?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

They immediately showed up at the station with bandages after the accident. Within 30 mins or so after the cops immediately took my scooter away in a truck. It was actually fine aside from scratches. The cops never took a police report from me at the time. Only when I went back.

Today the family showed up with 7k of hospital bills. Said they need to return tomorrow for more checkups.

I have an IDP and US license. The kid that was driving the scooter does not likely have a license. No one asked, but that will be my next question. He's pretty young. Grandma actually had to show hers to get their scooter out of impound which was interesting.

Scooter has minor cosmetic damage. I need a new light in the front. They need various pieces of plastic. 

I can only assume the scooter I rented was insured. It was from a family business with 30+ scooters for rent. 

Normally the compulsory insurance for the other guy bike will pay the 7,000 B bill at the hospital even if at fault. But if the bike owner did not pay his annual tax ther in no insurance on his bike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

<snip>

Seriously? What do you think they can do about it? They've probably heard similar thousands of times but it's nothing to do with them.

Police is not allowed to hold foreigners passports unless a crime has been committed. They have been instructed to that, and embassies will get the passport back for the OP.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Even though not the fault of the Op, he would still need to pay for damage for the rented bike, anyone disagree? the 3rd party hasn't got insurance to cover damage to other vehicles.

A nice reminder to continue to wear my action cam while riding my bike

The guilty party should pay for damages to the rental bike. Doubtful it will end up that way and OP will likely ending up paying, but it won't do any harm at all to tell them: pay up.

56 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To my knowledge the insurance is only to pay for bike damage, if there is actually any at all, but depends on who he rented it from.

I'm amazed that the renters didn't take his passport, as that is the norm.

There hardly ever is bike insurance, only the compulsory, which only covers medical or death (very limited), not bike damage.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

"Give me back my passport or I'll give you a war you won't believe."

Rambo Last Blood coming out next month.

Back to the topic of the passport. 

I do not see where OP has actually gone to the police station and asked for it back? 

• Like 2