Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

53 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Wonder what would happen if one of the Lords had a 'suspected' heart attack whilst debating.
Surely they would call a recess for the day out of respect?

That can be arranged , any one on your preferred list ...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Boris is only trying to do what the Referendum called for, If the UK goes further down the pan, then at least we have a list of the TRAITORS to go for.

The Tory party has today 22 constituencies without a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC), I doubt any of them have reserve PPC's, I would assume the selection process will take weeks, and more probable the constituencies will be in total disarray, with members choosing to resign or doing all they can to oppose central Office imposing candidates on them.

When a No Deal Brexit option has been prevented one way or another there will be a vote of no confidence, and I suspect the Tory Party will want make piece the the rebels... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

They’re already backpedaling. Leadsom said those 21 MPs would get a second chance at the next vote. Does she really think anyone cares? 

To be fair I think she said this before the cull and prior to being slapped down for saying it.

I took her statement as an early shot at the forthcoming Tory party leadership election ????

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

"PM Johnson, who promises an election"

Assuming parliament allows one to take place:

"A motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats."

General elections - UK Parliament

If Parliament does not vote for one then Johnson remains......twisting on a skewer of impotence.......and Parliament sets the agenda.

And the opposition will probably vote in favour of the government if anyone calls a motion of no-confidence......which would have the same result.

It's beginning to look like checkmate.

sometime/longtime ago someone said...  “Let me be frank … I saw Boris as a nasty young kid ... He never changed.”
— Ex-World Trade Organization chief Pascal Lamy at an event in London, adding that a free-trade deal could take five to six years to negotiate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

It wasn't the electorate that voted last night, I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

as always, denial..... it's not us it's them,.... yesterday was the start today the real game will go on

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Yes what bad people, I hope they get that idea of democracy out of their heads. I just cannot believe they want to deliver what the electorate voted for, how evil is that.

So a shopkeeper makes a mistake, has a £100 coat puts it in the window with a £1.00 ticket on it does the shopkeeper have to sell it for a £1?

You Brexiteers are like customers telling the shopkeeper when he notices the mistake and withdraws the coat from sale, saying he has to honour the price by law when in actual fact he does not.

As so clear by opinion polls only days after the referendum the people had changed their minds and Terms and Conditions clearly stated "NONE BINDING" 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

To be fair I think she said this before the cull and prior to being slapped down for saying it.

I took her statement as an early shot at the forthcoming Tory party leadership election ????

She did...

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Demographics dear Boy! If we counted the exact same votes from 2016 today and eliminated the dead, the vote would be Remain. 

Morbid Report: 4/9/2019.

He wants the same votes and to eliminate the dead. Greedy or what?

Well the dead are eliminated anyway, by definition.

Same votes? Well, don't do down to the woods today!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

London is just a small part of England.

Surely that should be London is just a small part of Great Britain? Or is Brexit really only an English thing?

Actually that should be "London is just a small part of the United Kingdom"  (Great Britain + Northern Ireland) 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1