OA extension checklist

I need to do my first OA extension soon. My current permission to stay expires 26 Jan and I believe I can apply up to 45 days before. I'm trying to compile a checklist before attempting this. Here what I have so far:

800k in Thai bank acc at least 2 months prior
TM7 application form
Passport photo
Passport original
Passport copy of ID page & stamp showing last extension of stay, Visa, Latest entry stamp
TM6 copy
Bank book original (on day of application – do an ATM transaction and update passbook)
Bank book copy showing pages for the 2 months prior to application date
Bank letter original - attesting to Name and Account Number for the Bank Account – dated on the day of application or, if applying early in the morning, the previous day
12 months bank statements on bank headed paper
Copy of Proof of Residence documents (Rental Agreement, Housebook etc.)
Sign every copy with blue pen
Thai health insurance with cover commencing on day new extension starts.
Extension Fee – 1,900 Baht

What have I forgotten ? Will I be required to show any TM30 reports ?

Don't know about the 12 month bank statements. Your using money in bank method. Just the bank letter and photo copy of bankbook pages.

Also a map of where you live. Some members suggest hand drawn. I use a flyer from my condo works at CW.

As for tm30 best to have one. The last one. I did one for my last entry to Los prior to attending CW on Oct 8. Imm officer did not want it. Another io may have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, britishjohn said:

What have I forgotten ? Will I be required to show any TM30 reports ?

I suspect as you are using 800k seasoned you will not need the 12 month statements.

Where will you report... ? I did not need a TM30 a few days ago but some places are different. Didn't need  map either. (Jomtien)

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

I'm in Bangkok. I assume it is 45 days before which means I can go pretty soon.

How many copies of each document are required ?

Just one copy. Yes CW you can attend up to 45 days prior. You are aware that all the main banks are located in CW. You can obtain the bank letter and make small deposit on the day. Good idea to obtain your que ticket then go downstairs to obtain letter. They do them every day and doesn't take too long.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, britishjohn said:

A map of where I live, and a hand drawn one at that lol

That's a new one on me. I can't help wondering what they gain from that.

I think it's wanted in the event they make a home visit (mostly done on marriage extensions). I was asked too, but it's less bother than the other requirements, took me all of ten seconds to scribble one out in front of the IO as I live near the bts. A local Google map print-out might also be accepted, or else give you something to copy. 

• Like 1

I applied for my 2nd extension in October at CW. I got my bank letter on Saturday and applied on Monday -  no problem. I withdrew 1000 baht at an ATM downstairs and then updated my bankbook. The hand drawn map is a real thing. Just do it before you go. You can base it off a Google map but I’ve heard they don’t want a printout of a Google map. I live in a condo and have never given them a rental contract though I always keep one with me just in case. I brought just 3 months of bank statements and they did accept them as part of my pile of documents. They did take my bank passbook while examining my documents. I did my application before the insurance requirement so I don’t have experience with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, condobrit001 said:

Thai health insurance is NOT required for extensions, only for the original application.

That's obviously not correct.

Although there is no clear guidance or 100% clarity yet on the issue, it seems from many reports from all over the country that the Certificate as evidence that you have thai-approved health-insurance is now required when doing extensions of stay from an original OA Visa for reason of retirement.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nemises said:

“All over the country” ??

Wasn’t the case for me last month at Khonkaen province. No mention at all was made of health insurance whilst successfully extending stay for another 12 months from an original OA Visa for reason of retirement. 

Thanks for posting your experience.  It gives some hope that health-insurance for extensions of stay based on an OA Visa for reason of retirement, might not be required at every IO.  Afaik yours is the 3rd case of an approval (the 2 others were at CW and CM).

But the large majority of cases are denials, with those denied grudgingly buying the expensive and basically worthless insurance or going the conversion road to an OA - Marriage or an O - retirement.

Could you provide some additional detail from your case?  E.g. date of application, validity date of the original OA Visa, date of expiry of permission to stay.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, condobrit001 said:

Thai health insurance is NOT required for extensions, only for the original application.

it is currently being required at most IOs. Even for OAs issued m,any years ago.

Definitely Chiang Mai, Jomtien, Bangkok, Hua Hin, Prachinburi.

I do not offhand know of any not requiring it though there may be some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just one copy. Yes CW you can attend up to 45 days prior. You are aware that all the main banks are located in CW. You can obtain the bank letter and make small deposit on the day. Good idea to obtain your que ticket then go downstairs to obtain letter. They do them every day and doesn't take too long.

So this bank letter/report is not something that needs to be ordered from the bank in advance ? I can just walk in and get it the same day as doing my extension ?

One other question regarding passport expiry date. Mine expires Mar 2021, so I have about 15 months left on it. I assume that's not a problem ?

29 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

ne other question regarding passport expiry date. Mine expires Mar 2021, so I have about 15 months left on it. I assume that's not a problem ?

As long as your passport is valid for at least a full year, you'll get a one year extension, but sometime during the year you need to get a new passport for your 2021 extension renewal. They won't give an extension that is valid past the expiration of your passport.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 4:33 AM, DrJack54 said:

Don't know about the 12 month bank statements. Your using money in bank method. Just the bank letter and photo copy of bankbook pages

Just ensure that the bank book does show all transactions. If you have not updated monthly then some will not show so 12 months of statements is a worthwhile back up.

I want to find out the information to up grade my Retirement Visa??? Bangkok office lady stated I must have health insurance before any consideration to change. My first visit was a Vetted O-A Visa and next renewal was stamped as Retirement. Great even with the rule I could not work. Reasoning  to think about if I come to Retire, why do I want to work? No Way? I have Army Pension and also Army Insurance, but because Immigration would not accept USA Govt insurance, buying Health Insurance in Thailand is impossible at my Age. After 13 years Thailand Government now wish to end my present in Thailand. It can happen to you, I am sure, To have false feeling of security leaving is true, Immigration can and do kick you out of Thailand even if you have home loans & Car loans, If I go so ends my contract at the banks. Do you feel it is fair?

Good luck all Foreigners 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Regarding health insurance.  I just left Rayong immigration an hour ago and the signs are up.  In no uncertain terms, after 31 October 2019 if you are requesting a one year extension on an original Non-Immigrant O-A visa you must have health insurance from one of the authorized companies.  See www.tgia.org for more info.  Some foreign insurance may be accepted if they will sign a letter stating your coverage.  A form letter for that purpose is on the TGIA website.  For retired military with Tricare, thus far they have refused to provide anything further than their standard letter that does not state coverage amounts.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

Regarding health insurance.  I just left Rayong immigration an hour ago and the signs are up.  In no uncertain terms, after 31 October 2019 if you are requesting a one year extension on an original Non-Immigrant O-A visa you must have health insurance from one of the authorized companies.  See www.tgia.org for more info.  Some foreign insurance may be accepted if they will sign a letter stating your coverage.  A form letter for that purpose is on the TGIA website.  For retired military with Tricare, thus far they have refused to provide anything further than their standard letter that does not state coverage amounts.

Thanks for the post > any report re DENIAL or APPROVAL is highly appreciated at present, since it is still not 100% clear what policy is being followed in different IOs.

Some comments on your post:

• Health-insurance will only be required for an extension of stay based on an original OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.  When you apply for extension based on MARRIAGE it is NOT required.
  • When health-insurance is required IO wants to see the specific signed Certificate-form (referring to the IO requirements) issued by an approved insurance-company (see TGIA website).  Please note that not all insurance-schemes issued by an approved insurance-company are actually approved.
  • The way the police-order is presently stated, foreign insurance-companies are NOT approved for meeting the extension of stay heath-insurance requirement (even if they would issue the Certificate, that they comply with the requirements).
  • Anything else that the Certificate, will not be accepted for meeting the health-insurance requirement (e.g. a standard letter, insurance-policy, etc).

On 12/6/2019 at 11:22 AM, DrJack54 said:

OP, you can obtain your extension with your current pp.

You will need new one in 2021. I would get one now. Choice is yours. 

It probably makes sense to get the extension first and then apply for a new passport. Apparently I have to go to the Trendy building and apply there. I get to keep the old one for ID purposes but it is invalid for travel and they say the new one can take 4 weeks to arrive which is a bit of a nuisance.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, WhatupThailand said:

Have been told by IO in Phrae, that I need to have Photo standing in Front of Home,

that shows Address with me next to it.

Yes that has been standard where I am, and I copy the photograph on a USB and keep it, and every year I go to the local Kodak shop and get a new photograph made from it – – and I don't seem to have aged, although the original one taken about four years ago was not very complimentary anyway!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Is this a fact yet? (Marriage extension after Non OA)

As much of fact as there can be. Clause 2.18 of the police order for extensions based upon marriage was not changed. Only clause 2.22 for retirement was changed to show insurance for OA visas and entries from them.

The problem that could occur is if your local immigration office incorrectly refuses to accept the application for the extension based upon marriage.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Hence my question...

If your local immigration office incorrectly refuses to accept the application for the extension of your OA Visa based upon marriage, that's annoying and a nuisance but not the end of the world as you still have other options.

In case the above happens, you could simply make a nice holiday-trip abroad (to kill your present permission to stay) and return Visa-exempt.  And then apply at your local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa based on marriage.  In the last month of those 90-days, you then apply for at the same local IO for an extenson of that Non Imm O Visa based on marriage. 

And presto: problem solved > no need for the expensive and basically worthless thai-approved health-insurance.

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If your local immigration office incorrectly refuses to accept the application for the extension of your OA Visa based upon marriage, that's annoying and a nuisance but not the end of the world as you still have other options.

In case the above happens, you could simply make a nice holiday-trip abroad (to kill your present permission to stay) and return Visa-exempt.  And then apply at your local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa based on marriage.  In the last month of those 90-days, you then apply for at the same local IO for an extenson of that Non Imm O Visa based on marriage. 

And presto: problem solved > no need for the expensive and basically worthless thai-approved health-insurance.

Most of us know all that. My point was that people like me on OA with "Thai Wife" extension with might well be requested to show insurance when they apply for a new extension.  So whether a certain police order has be changed or not won't make any difference, does it.

• Confused 1