Border entry denied at Don Muang

Today two foreigners were targeted from a particular flight, arriving at Don Muang from Vietnam, and denied/almost denied entry:

1. SE Asian national  (Filipino?) was denied, being told: "You're going home today...", then taken away.

2. A Westerner was given a warning, not to arrive on TVs or VEE again, but told: "This is the last time. Next time you may get denied entry..."

In both cases was the old rule of 180 days/year named by the supervising officer as justification, in addition to the mantra: "In-out cannot..."

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How did you find out about these 2 foreigners? Were they both in the queue at immigration directly in front of you? Was the IO a man or woman and roughly how old were they?

#1: late 20s/early 30s

#2: early 50s

IO who stopped #2 was a middle-aged male IO. So was the supervisor. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, racket said:

What do you mean by rule of 180 days?

There used to be a '180 day/year immigration law' years ago. To my information, there's currently no such law. Still, the supervising IO gave this "rule" as a reason for the denial (#1), and warning of denial (#2).

On a related note, I'd be interested to know, whether a IO can refuse entry at Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi, if one arrives from abroad, but has a connecting flight within Thailand.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

There used to be a '180 day/year immigration law' years ago. To my information, there's currently no such law. Still, the supervising IO gave this "rule" as a reason for the denial (#1), and warning of denial (#2).

On a related note, I'd be interested to know, whether a IO can refuse entry at Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi, if one arrives from abroad, but has a connecting flight within Thailand.

Of course they can. In that scenario the traveller is entering the country at the first airport they arrive at. The onward flight, being domestic, would not be subject to immmigration controls.

• Thanks 1

If someone got denied entry at DMK or BKK and and were given the choice of which country they could fly to in order to exit Thailand.  Which would be the best country to in order to hit a land border crossing back into Thailand.? Cambodia? Laos?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Of course they can. In that scenario the traveller is entering the country at the first airport they arrive at. The onward flight, being domestic, would not be subject to immmigration controls.

Edited by DrJack54

47 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

#1: late 20s/early 30s

#2: early 50s

IO who stopped #2 was a middle-aged male IO. So was the supervisor. 

I am just wondering why the double standard regarding the same rule?

Both should be denied.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

I am just wondering why the double standard regarding the same rule?

Both should be denied.

The OP has zero knowledge of circumstances. Most likely down to history of stays.

Just to add. I take op on his word. I fly EVERY 2 weeks. When there is issue pp control, the io doesn't "discuss too much" he signals another fella to go to the "cone of silence"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, G950 said:

If someone got denied entry at DMK or BKK and and were given the choice of which country they could fly to in order to exit Thailand.  Which would be the best country to in order to hit a land border crossing back into Thailand.? Cambodia? Laos?

I you were able to do that Laos would be the best of the 2. Vientiane is close to the bridge to do the crossing. 

Phnom Penh to a border crossing is a long trip,

• Thanks 1

I have read where someone was able to fly to country other than where they embarked. Maybe it was true. Perhaps members can advise if that has genuinely occured. Personally I would suggest hardly ever.

Hence think very carefully with history of long stays and risk of denied entry at airports....do not take flights from Saigon etc. Choose neighbouring countries with border entries. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You would NOT be given choice. You will fly back from where you embarked.

If denied there you would fly to home country

Hypothetically, if one flew in to DMK or BKK with say an onward ticket to Laos just a day or 2 later. I would think there is a good chance that if denied they would allow you to get on that flight to Laos?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have read where someone was able to fly to country other than where they embarked. Maybe it was true. Perhaps members can advise if that has genuinely occured. Personally I would suggest hardly ever.

Hence think very carefully with history of long stays and risk of denied entry at airports....do not take flights from Saigon etc. Choose neighbouring countries with border entries. 

I think in 95% of cases no choice was given but i do remember a few cases where they were given a choice.

The 1 case i remember was about a year ago posted on this forum. A guy in his 30's semi retired was pinged for living in thailand for about 7 years from memory. He and his buddy were denied and given a document to sign. Having lived so long there he was fluent in Thai and read the whole document and then refused to sign it. He stated by not signing it they couldn't charge him the few hundred baht per day temp accom fee. I think in the end they agree that he could buy a ticket to wherever. In Thailand anything is possible I guess. 

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

There used to be a '180 day/year immigration law' years ago. To my information, there's currently no such law.

To be precise, there was for a time a rule restricting  visa exempt entries only to 90 days in a six month period. There has never been a publicly announced limit on entries using visas.

30 minutes ago, G950 said:

Hypothetically, if one flew in to DMK or BKK with say an onward ticket to Laos just a day or 2 later. I would think there is a good chance that if denied they would allow you to get on that flight to Laos?

NO. Zip chance. The onward flight could be a throw away or rented ticket. Zero chance. 

I was never able to see or hear what IO talks with other people.

When I was asked for a ticket out of Thailand (after spending several years on TV), and didn't have one, I had to follow another IO to a separate area to book a flight on my mobile phone. There I sat with others in similar situation and could have talked to them about their particular problem.

Edited by ChristianPFC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

If you have a connecting flight , you wouldnt need to go through immigration 

Are you absolutely sure that passengers stay 'airside' when connecting to a domestic flight? My apologies to the OP if I was wrong in my previous post.

15 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Are you absolutely sure that passengers stay 'airside' when connecting to a domestic flight? My apologies to the OP if I was wrong in my previous post.

No, I,m not absolutely sure , I would think that it would depend on what ticket you have, hope someone can answer 

11 hours ago, G950 said:

Would be too easy I think. Everybody would just rent an onward ticket, valid up to 3 days. But if that really works, I will do it too ????

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

If you have a connecting flight , you wouldnt need to go through immigration 

I don't think that is correct if you had a connecting domestic flight. As an example, flying in on an international flight and connecting to Phitsanulok, I would have to pass through immigration as Phits doesn't have immigration checkpoints.

8 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I don't think that is correct if you had a connecting domestic flight. As an example, flying in on an international flight and connecting to Phitsanulok, I would have to pass through immigration as Phits doesn't have immigration checkpoints.

That wouldnt be a connecting flight though, that would be two different flights