Thailand finds fourth China coronavirus infection

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has quarantined a fourth patient with the new coronavirus including one Thai national,

But let all the other passengers walk away without taking details.

If the incubation period is a few days those passengers could be nationwide spreading the disease?

• Like 2

I live in Bangkok so it will be a nervous return.  If I was a tourist with a booking I’d check out if a refund based on this was available... and if I was planning on a trip to Thailand I’d now consider a place with zero risk like Greece or the like... a 1% risk is a risk...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

I came in Suvarhnabumi 2 days ago, some time after this virus was in the news. Immigration was quite full, although not as full as I’ve seen it, but there were a lot of Chinese group tours in immigration and I didn’t see any cameras checking passengers temperature like past incidences anywhere in the airport.

Hopefully they will take it serious when a couple of immigration officers catch the flu.

I’m appalled and shocked Thailand’s health minister has not sought council and stopped flights from China arriving into Thailand. Simple solution Chinese passengers must be screened in China before leaving .... it’s like that old adage they’ve left it’s not our problem anymore,.whereas Thailand’s only concern seems money. I’m worried as arriving next month and my only concern is making sure I’ve got the right health cover. Worrying times indeed because if nothing is done then we could have a epidemic on our hands... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Vincent said:

I’m appalled and shocked Thailand’s health minister has not sought council and stopped flights from China arriving into Thailand. Simple solution Chinese passengers must be screened in China before leaving .... it’s like that old adage they’ve left it’s not our problem anymore,.whereas Thailand’s only concern seems money. I’m worried as arriving next month and my only concern is making sure I’ve got the right health cover. Worrying times indeed because if nothing is done then we could have a epidemic on our hands... 

Everyone will have to simply take their own personal protective measures. You are reasonably protected if you are healthy and not otherwise immunocompromised in any way. At this time there is no pandemic, there is no epidemic. If you are traveling today, take simple precautions and unless you are flying in on a plane from China you are at a very low risk of coming into contact with this particular coronavirus.... time will tell how virulent this strain is.

The Coronavirus is spread like "colds" and "flus" by coughing, sneezing, and general close contact. It's when any particular strain has a high "virulence" factor that makes infection a more serious issue. Most colds and flus are easily managed by the individuals own immune system. But... should a strain have a high virulence factor, disease and symptoms of the virus become more intolerable and widespread. Everyone should take precautions, especially when in closed/close contact with others that are presenting with symptoms (cough, sneezing, malaise, fatigue, aches, fever). Your best defense it to foster a strong immune system (through good health practices) and to employ barrier devices. An "N95" particulate filtration mask (aka hepa filtration), regular hand washings, sanitizers, basic hygiene, and general avoidance of others with symptoms. 

https://www.who.int/csr/don/05-january-2020-pneumonia-of-unkown-cause-china/en/

The Chinese government is allowing the virus to spread and even their hospitals are unable to diagnose the virus in an infected person. Here is an excerpt from WHO website.

The case-patient had developed fever, chill, and muscle pain on 18 January while in Wuhan. She visited a local hospital in Wuhan and was initially diagnosed with a cold. On 19 January , the case-patient was detected with fever (38.3 °C) upon arrival at the Incheon International Airport.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Topdoc said:

What is going to happen when hordes of Chinese people descend on Thailand for their Golden Week holidays? Will you be able to detect the patients as soon as they arrive??

"Will you be able to detect the patients as soon as they arrive??"

Of course not. How is that possible?If some is coughing he/she will probably be detained. This is exactly what happened with the SARS breakout many years ago. A lot of people in masks at the airport checking people. I don't remember if we had to fill in a form at the airport. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

We are going to be made a whole ramdam for 4 dead because of an evil thing which wanders and comes from China;

but 25,000 road deaths, a number that will increase rapidly if the speed limit of 90 km / h is increased to 120 per hour ..;
there, no, it's normal;
Move along, there's nothing to see ...

Well, but in an accident you will have a visible culprit whereas here the culprit is invisible.

Therefore people feel uneasy. 

4 hours ago, moutamine said:

We are all doomed... The Asian virus will wipe out humanity!!  4 Dead so far... the yearly influenza kills thousands each year, pollution kills more each year, Donald Trump kills more each year...

While the numbers are very low and pale in comparison to people dying in road accidents and from the regular flu, the mortality rate is fairly high at 2.5%. 

The flu pandemic of 1918 which killed about the same number as four years of WW1 also had a 2.5% rate of being fatal.

So, the potential of this virus creating major problems is there. Maybe better to take precautions now and not when there are millions of infected people 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thais come to work even when it's obvious they are sick and contagious. 

So do Americans - especially food servers in restaurants, retail clerks and hospitality workers. Main reason - no paid sick leave, big part of compensation in tips or commissions, so people can't afford to stay home