Will this be the last generation ?

georgegeorgia

18 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If they have a decent pension or saved money, yes

Well, I will have both, but I never even thought about retiring in Thailand.
Retiring date will be Jan 31st in 2025, so just 5 years left.
But thanks to the developments in my home country I'm already looking for a place to go in 2025.
But Thailand (and the rest of Asia) is not on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have to admit that your second paragraph holds true, even allowing for the immigration issues.

I try and stay positive. As I don’t reside here at present I probably don’t have to do as many trips to immigration as some but I still have to check in every trip, yearly trip for extension etc which is a bind. 

However I just plan a couple of days in the province and do other things while I’m there and treat it like a trip out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tulak said:

It was my plan to retire in Thailand. I even bought condo in Hua Hin.

That was more than 20 years ago. Then I changed my mind. 

I like Thailand, but one month holiday twice a year is better than ongoing commitments and dealing with Thai Immigration.

Come and go as I please. No worries in the world. I like a simple life.

If you are still here on TV next December, based solely on this single post, I will nominate you for Poster Of The Year.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

Seems like with all the major and understandable gripes that ex-pats have in Thailand, air-quality is going to be the final nail in the coffin for many. Last few weeks I have been waking up coughing in the morning, and recently always get streaming eyes when driving my bike, just another thing which makes living here not as pleasant as it once was.

Everything else I can deal with and causes me little distress, But the air quality thing is a deal breaker. 

Can't get away from breathing. I have grown accustomed to it.

Personally I think they will get a handle on it, already steps are being taken to curb Sugar Cane burning (the biggest contributor) by making it more expensive . Insufficient yet for sure , but I am sure eventually the problem will be rectified. I mean consider the alternative.

It is called Green Harvesting (google it) , Brazil and Australia has done it. 

But if it is not stopped , I am certainly not retiring here, Who wants to get up and leave for three months?

and what would the people who can't leave do? 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Sadly, you are right. When they first took over, there was some sense of relief the squabbling red and yellow shirts were under control. However, their focus on enriching themselves and importing armaments which are really only useful for control of the civilian population has become increasingly evident.

Armed forces with 1000 generals. Really? The phrase too many chiefs and not enough Indians springs to mind.

I believe it is closer to 2,000 generals. Basically, all you need to do is stay in the forces long enough, and you become a general. On the other hand, in a real armed force, like the US, there are just over 200 generals, and just over 20 four stars.

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

found that 45% of workers report that the total value of their household’s savings and investments is less than $25,000.

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

The $48,885 per year is not a per person average, but rather a per household average.

It seems that the quoted material makes it clear they're talking about households. I assume they are comparing apples to apples in their assessment.

But the exact amounts weren't really I was drawing attention to. The point is that people currently are woefully unprepared for retirement now and that is unlikely to improve with future generations, but there will probably be a sizable number of retirees who will be sufficiently well prepared to retire in Thailand or elsewhere.

I expect middle class retirement in future will be more restrictive than is currently is in terms of the need to work longer (if possible) and thus retire at a later age and with less "cushy" retirement packages than is common now. My pension, for example, includes medical insurance for life but that is no longer on offer by my former employer to current employees. And starting retirement at 62 as I was able to do is a different matter from starting at 68 or 70 if you're thinking of moving  halfway round the world at that age,

Nonetheless, even now when a number of retirees may still  be able to afford retirement in Thailand, they are somewhat exceptional among their age peers. 

So it seems to me the initial thesis that we are the last generation to stay in Thailand in retirement appears unlikely. Those here now are members of a generation that is collectively not all that well prepared financially for retirement and, on the other hand,  future generations will still have a decent number of people who could easily afford to live here. 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I have had many expats friends already pack up and leave, the rest are wrapping things up either they die here on their last leg, or leave soon, but almost every single one is moving on.  Sadly, Thailand has changed, but we all admit we wish it didn't we would like to stay here...not worth the hassle or fight anymore.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

In my 3 decades + working here I've met plenty of foreigners who came her as a tourist, believed they had discovered utopia and quickly sold everything and moved here with a bank balance which was nowhere near sufficient.

When there's sex on the table, the difference between "retire" and "quit working" does become blurred.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterbilt said:

Well, I will have both, but I never even thought about retiring in Thailand.
Retiring date will be Jan 31st in 2025, so just 5 years left.
But thanks to the developments in my home country I'm already looking for a place to go in 2025.
But Thailand (and the rest of Asia) is not on the list.

What places are on your list, if you don't mind saying?

In the UK the retirement age is creeping up and up, so unless the 30/40 year olds today have sufficient funds in a private pension scheme then they won't be retiring until way past their 70s.

Not sure what the situation in greater Europe is like.

Unfortunately Thailand has changed a great deal since my 1st visit and not in a good way, I enjoy the year round warm weather, that's a given, but the ease of doing extensions and a host of other difficulties highlighted by others goes to show that this once welcoming country has lost its charm.

As long as I can remain I will, hopefully I will pop my clogs before they force me out, but I think that could happen, examples of xenophobia crop up daily.

I enjoy every day, and never worry overly about tomorrow or next week, it's not worth the aggro.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand is only on the 'top places to retire' list as the journalists that compule the lists are too lazy to do any research themselves, and just crib off each others blogs and stories that are years out of date.

As for the cannabis cash cow,

Thailand is last in the race yet again, as they are only talking about legalisation, while Cambodia and Vietnam have bypassed legalisation, and just have it openly on sale almost everywhere you go for $10/bag (ask any street hawker selling cigarettes or tat).

Are you saying that it is legal to smoke cannabis openly in those countries?

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

In the UK the retirement age is creeping up and up, so unless the 30/40 year olds today have sufficient funds in a private pension scheme then they won't be retiring until way past their 70s.

Not sure what the situation in greater Europe is like.

Unfortunately Thailand has changed a great deal since my 1st visit and not in a good way, I enjoy the year round warm weather, that's a given, but the ease of doing extensions and a host of other difficulties highlighted by others goes to show that this once welcoming country has lost its charm.

As long as I can remain I will, hopefully I will pop my clogs before they force me out, but I think that could happen, examples of xenophobia crop up daily.

I enjoy every day, and never worry overly about tomorrow or next week, it's not worth the aggro.

You are experiencing xenophobia daily, yet enjoy everyday...... How bizarre!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

When there's sex on the table, the difference between "retire" and "quit working" does become blurred.

Good point of course, and plenty of examples, including the yank who rented the luxury house next to my buddies house and installed his new Thai wife (who he did full marriage with after 3 weeks of meeting her on a dating site) then started to bring home bargirls and expected his real wife to sleep in another room, even did this then went to work next morning and gave his wife money to give to the bar girl when she woke up and ready to leave, then quickly he was bankrupt. 

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

Maybe getting to the  point when all govts  will  have to  limit  freedom of travel as be honest jet travel is a major  polluter, I can see the days when private  car ownership is a thing of the past.

a return to serfdom sounds lovely

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-abolition-of-serfdom-tsar-alexander-ii-orders-emancipation-of-serfs-105276468.html

15 hours ago, Hotrudester said:

Never Ever will that happen. People will continue to come and reside here!!!! 

Yes they will, but it will be in far lesser numbers, but think again about what Thai immigration will be doing to us in say about twenty years from now.