How to get a tourist visa for the UK for a Thai National

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're asking in the wrong forum, there's a specific forum for UK Visa, I'll move your post.

A couple of quick points, you don't apply, the visa national applies, though of course you can assist.

Yes, she applies online and visits the visa application centre in Bangkok to have her biometric details captured.

If she can demonstrate that she's a genuine applicant, the proposed trip is of a reasonabe length, her trip ia affordable and that she is likely to return home at the conclsion of her trip, then her application is likely to be successful.

An agent isn't necessary, but some applicants prefer to use one, she will still need to provide the supporting evidence and attend the Visa Application Centre,

There's a pinned topic to get you started  

The main thing to satisfy the office is that the visitor will return to Thailand after visa expires. That can be hard to prove if don't have genuine reasons to return.

Problem is apparently too many Thais have overstayed in the past, so thank them for making it hard.

Personally I never bothered as a BG with no property etc had basically no chance of success. I'm not saying that your friend is a BG, but mine was.

A job can be sufficient as a reason to return. Exactly what my wife used back in 2015 and a letter from her employer was supplied. If the ECO has any doubts they will call to confirm with either the employer, the applicant or both.

I'm in the same boat. Other than her house (in her own name), she has nothing, how do we prove that she will return.

I'm thinking it might be harder as we're married, would they think that she's likely to try and stay? She only wants to visit for a month. Our plan is to live in Thailand in the not-so-distant future.

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm in the same boat. Other than her house (in her own name), she has nothing, how do we prove that she will return.

I'm thinking it might be harder as we're married, would they think that she's likely to try and stay? She only wants to visit for a month. Our plan is to live in Thailand in the not-so-distant future.

Your wife cannot prove that she will return, she has to satisfy the decision maker that on the balance of probabilities she's likely to.

You are of course correct in your assumption that it's more difficult to satisfy the ECO of her intententions to return home, when her husband lives in the UK, I suspect you're providing financial support to your wife and the ECO could be forgiven for thinking that she would simply not return from a visit and remain with her benefactor.

That said the ownership of a property is quite a pull factor and could well be the basis of her claim that her life is very much based her in Thailand, she would also need to provide details of her life here, does she work, study etc etc, these are factors that could satisfy the ECO that she's not going to remain.
She needs to provide as much detail as possible about her lifestyle here, and how she manages financially, she should also should provide details of any proposed holiday, including length, and maybe your joint plans for the future.
I assume you visit her here, then provide details, ald provide a brief covering letter adding details of your plans for the future.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The main thing to satisfy the office is that the visitor will return to Thailand after visa expires. That can be hard to prove if don't have genuine reasons to return.

Problem is apparently too many Thais have overstayed in the past, so thank them for making it hard.

Personally I never bothered as a BG with no property etc had basically no chance of success. I'm not saying that your friend is a BG, but mine was.

Your being a little negative, my G.F. has nothing, property, land, job, 0 baht in the bank, we have just been granted her 3rd U.K. Tourist Visa in January.

I've known a couple of women get refused and not BG's one had been to England before and the next time she applied she got refused, whether she was upto no good I dont know maybe she was on the game while she was there 555

Its not that hard as long as you sponsor her. My wife has had 3, 1 year visa's and is now coming to the end of a 5 year visa. Next year we intend to apply for a 10 year. My wife stays in the UK with me for 4.5 months every year mid May until October. It does help however if you travel with her and live with her in Thailand. We use that as the main reason to return along with owning a property a car and a motorbike.

Thanks everyone and aware of having to fill application on line and is it 3 months before travel and I know questions about date of travel and return date but one can not anwer that until the vis has actually been granted.
My Wife and our 2 Grandchildren and myself have been in Thailand 12 years.
One stupid question I know I am a British Citizen and will provide the funds for our holiday visit and surely I do not need a visa and have an English passport!!!

Hi ya my wife was farmer but i was her sponsor showed my bank account house rent book in London letter from my employer showing i was working a few photos of us over the years never had a problem getting a 6 months visa always arrived on day she said and returned on day she said done that for about 8 years then this year i gave up work and moved to thailand waiting for first extension this week fingers crossed anyway before i left we applied for ten year visa so can always go back for emergencies so just make sure your paperwork is in order and make sure they know your the sponsor and hopefully everything will be ok 

5 hours ago, john west said:

Thanks everyone and aware of having to fill application on line and is it 3 months before travel and I know questions about date of travel and return date but one can not anwer that until the vis has actually been granted.
My Wife and our 2 Grandchildren and myself have been in Thailand 12 years.
One stupid question I know I am a British Citizen and will provide the funds for our holiday visit and surely I do not need a visa and have an English passport!!!

No you don't need a visa, as a British Citizen you're not subject to Immigration Controls. 

I think people advised you that the application needed to be submitted online, is because you asked that in your question, I know I did.

You should provide indicitive travel dates in the application, say in your covering note that they are only planned dates and you will purchase flights when the visa is issued, as per UKVI advice, it's quite likely that the visa will be valid for travel on the date you've indicated. 

Generally.....

It would perhaps be better if the applicant has sufficient in her bank account to last long enough whilst in the UK (ie. if you had a disagreement, or the sponsor gets run over by a bus), and a method to access it in the UK.  

You can provide funds for return air ticket, and proof of accommodation as sponsor.

If She is buying any private health insurance in Thailand get one that cover trips internationally as well (though not required for the application). e.g. Policy just purchased, and runs for 9 months more on her return, As well as travel insurance.

A letter from an employer is useful, ##### will visit the UK from...to, and will return to work on ##/##/#### etc

Good luck...

When I was collecting the result of the application for my GF in Bangkok, i met and talked with a very beautiful girl who was also waiting for her result. She told me that she worked for the local government in a good permenant job for a number of years, had her own condo and had sufficient funds for the trip. She failed to get the visa!

I believe it was because she was visiting distant family relatives and friends there and was staying with them. I think you are better to show you are a tourist with no connections to the country. Staying at hotels or B&B. 

I had a provable personal relationship with my GF.  I booked all the hotels in UK and Ireland for 2 weeks along with car hire and London shows. Showed I had immediate family

(daughter) to visit and a purpose, ( her graduation). I also provided a written personal guarantee that my partner would return. Evidence in the form of letters from family members and friends who had visited us in Thailand to back up evidence of our relationship. Letter from juristic of our condo in english attesting to our long term relationship and ownership. 

Condo blue book with her name in it. No stone left unturned. Lots of evidential pictures and accounts both Thai and UK. Letter from her employer. Letter stating I would cover all her expenses (she had very little in her account). I would say if you have evidence of your reason to return then show it. Close family and friend ties, property, job relationship etc. Good luck.

2 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

I also provided a written personal guarantee that my partner would return. 

For the benefit of other forum members who might consider enclosing such a guarantee, it would carry no weight whatsoever as it’s totally unenforceable, it would wouldn’t be considered by the ECO.

However well meaning nobody can absolutely guarantee that a visa holder would leave the UK.

I believe by this stage you will have received plenty of information to enable you to assist the Thai citizen to apppy a Visit Visa for the UK but, having made/helped in several successful applications I will give you a few pointers:

Main requirements:

Firstly a sponsor can either provide financial assistance, accommodation or both.

The applicant must have sufficient funds to cover the entire trip and all associated costs. This can either be their own funding or via a sponsor.

The applicant needs to show proof of accommodation - either hotel bookings or if staying with the sponsor/friends, documentation showing the property owner or tenant gives their permission to stay. The property should be suitable for the amount of people staying there (this is more applicable to spouse visa applications but helps for visits too).

If the applicant is using a sponsor for all/part of the costs of the trip or stating that the purpose of the trip is to visit the sponsor - proof of a pre-existing relationship with the sponsor. Photos together, details of the sponsor's trips to Thailand to visit the applicant, proof of any trips the applicant and sponsor have taken together.............etc. etc. etc.

Either the applicant or the sponsor must show proof of the funds needed.

The most important requirement for a successful visa application is to convince the UK authorities that the applicant will return to their home country when the visa expires - this is commonly known as 'Reasons to Return'. It also may be the most difficult requirement to establish depending upon the applicant's personal details.  Someone with a good, well established job that pays well and a settled home life in Thailand is unlikely to have a problem obtaining a visit visa on their own merits. Conversely, someone working in a restaurant on a semi-casual basis with no payslips (under the tax threshold) and who cannot establish a settled life in Thailand is going to have to work hard to make a convincing application.

If the applicant is employed then the employer must be contactable (by phone) and provide a written statement confirming the employment and that they are happy for the applicant to take a holiday for the stated duration and that their job will be kept open. Be aware that ECO's can and do contact employers.

Showing close family ties in Thailand will help with reasons to return - anything that establishes that the applicant is settled in their home county/where they have legal residence.  Owning land and having children in Thailand will not help at all and any suggestions they do are just an 'old wives tale'. In fact, having children in Thailand can complicate things further - the applicant will have to establish how those children will be cared for whilst they visit the UK. Land can be sold and is no guarantee that an applicant is settled.

You would not believe the amount of Thai citizens that have obtained/try to obtain a visa to visit the UK when their intentions were to do something other than a real visit.  Many of these are females between 18 and 35 who come to the UK to work in the 'adult industry' - they get a visit visa and then disappear. With that in mind you can perhaps understand that for some - obtaining a visa can be difficult. Remember, you may know the applicant is genuine - the UK authorities don't. Try to put yourself in the position of a UK ECO considering the application and you shouldn't go too far wrong.

I would be very careful using an agent - especially one in Thailand.  They may be able to help but I've seen quite a few applications wrecked by false information supplied by an agent and poor advice. Remember, its the applicant that signs the application and they are therefore stating that all aspects are correct and true. Should they be found to have made a false statement they can be banned for a long period or banned forever - depending on the gravity of any false information. It is not difficult to make an application and there is nothing in it that requires a degree in visa applications - do it yourself.

Thaivisa is a very good site for finding information/getting advice on Thai visas but there is another forum that is more applicable to UK visas and its members will give you all the advice you need. I don't think I'm allowed to link to that website here but PM me and I'll send you a link.

Finally, I have seen perfectly good applications refused where the officer is just not happy about something - even though you may think you have covered those points well. Normally they use 'Insufficient Reasons to Return' to deny the application - they don't have to prove that as its a matter of opinion. Just deal with the reasons for refusal and re-apply. Do not tell lies on the application - if they are discovered they will come back to haunt you.

17 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Your wife cannot prove that she will return, she has to satisfy the decision maker that on the balance of probabilities she's likely to.

You are of course correct in your assumption that it's more difficult to satisfy the ECO of her intententions to return home, when her husband lives in the UK, I suspect you're providing financial support to your wife and the ECO could be forgiven for thinking that she would simply not return from a visit and remain with her benefactor.

That said the ownership of a property is quite a pull factor and could well be the basis of her claim that her life is very much based her in Thailand, she would also need to provide details of her life here, does she work, study etc etc, these are factors that could satisfy the ECO that she's not going to remain.
She needs to provide as much detail as possible about her lifestyle here, and how she manages financially, she should also should provide details of any proposed holiday, including length, and maybe your joint plans for the future.
I assume you visit her here, then provide details, ald provide a brief covering letter adding details of your plans for the future.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I've just found out that she signed the house over to her father a few months ago. Yes, I am supporting her and have done over the past 3 years. I suspect that this is going to be tricky.

I visit Thailand 3 times a year.

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I visit Thailand 3 times a year

In your covering letter I would concentrate on that, briefly describe your plans for the future maybe adding that after a number of visits to her in Thailand she's keen to see your part of the world.
Don't be disheartened, yes it might be tricky but many couples in similar circumstances to yours succeed.
Good luck.

OP, just noticed that you are married. In that case you also have to convince ther ECO that your true intention is not simply to get your wife to the UK cheaply and without satisfying the requirements for a spouse visa and that once there she will just disappear.

You therefore would be well advised to provide evidence of a settled life in Thailand for you all - as a family unit.

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

OP, just noticed that you are married. In that case you also have to convince ther ECO that your true intention is not simply to get your wife to the UK cheaply and without satisfying the requirements for a spouse visa and that once there she will just disappear.

You therefore would be well advised to provide evidence of a settled life in Thailand for you all - as a family unit.

Married and here for 11 or 12 years too

1 hour ago, john west said:

Married and here for 11 or 12 years too

Right well please take heed of my last post.  A few years ago a friend had a real battle getting a tourist visa for his wife to visit the UK - the suspicion being that he was trying to circumvent to spouse visa requirements. Over the years there have been reports of others encountering the same problem.  Some sail through without any proof that they are settled in Thailand - I guess it depends on the officer, on that day but I wouldn't take the risk - there is no right of appeal.

You don't need pages and pages - just show that you are settled in Thailand. A rental contract or Tabien Baan - anything that establishes your long term residence, together with a short statement from yourself/wife should be sufficient.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:03 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

Your being a little negative, my G.F. has nothing, property, land, job, 0 baht in the bank, we have just been granted her 3rd U.K. Tourist Visa in January.

So how does the  " Old Git " account for this ?  I have heard a couple of similar cases and so I am mystified why my lady was refused despite owning her house , own business , car etc and employing 6 people . Me as a sponsor and reference from my son who is in the UK police force . She has no previous criminal history and has never been out of Thailand .  Maybe a Friday afternoon decision ? 

BTW Jumbo , did you use an agent ? 

33 minutes ago, superal said:

So how does the  " Old Git " account for this ?  I have heard a couple of similar cases and so I am mystified why my lady was refused despite owning her house , own business , car etc and employing 6 people . Me as a sponsor and reference from my son who is in the UK police force . She has no previous criminal history and has never been out of Thailand .  Maybe a Friday afternoon decision ? 

BTW Jumbo , did you use an agent ? 

Nope did it all myself albeit there were over 70 pages of documents, for me the most important thing is the Sponsors letter indicating you are travelling together, indicating you will be supporting them whilst in the UK and a place to live, I have my own house.

We co habit in Thailand, I produced the rental agreement and all my travel dates to and from Thailand. I also said I funf  my G.F. in Thailand, I didn’t produce any evidence and if she did decide to do a ‘runner’ all funding would cease.

Archived