Do not resuscitate

SteveK

Hi guys.

It is well known in the UK that you can have a DNR (do not resuscitate) order placed into your medical notes through your doctor. This means that if your heart stops they don't start zapping you or trying to do CPR. As well as having this added to your medical records, people can also wear a DNR necklace or have a DNR tattoo on the inside of their wrist.

My question is, would this be understood in Thailand? I have told my wife about this but am contemplating getting a tattoo, but if they ignore it, it will be a waste of time.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

A tattoo is certainly of no use here. You can make a legally binding Advance Directive under Thai law. Note that many hospitals want it to be on their own form (though I think they could be legally held to any form that follows Thai law).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As stated DNA is a world wide medically recognised concept and human right ... it transcends borders and quasi religious/social attitudes. Upon moving here I had 2 dogtags made at a local night market.

One has name address next of kin phone.

The other has blood group, nil allergies, and DNA.

I also carry a laminated card in my wallet next to my insurance card with blood type, organ donation authority (I’m registered on my insurers database as wanting my organs harvested as well), and DNA on it along with my signature.

15 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

As stated DNA is a world wide medically recognised concept and human right ... it transcends borders and quasi religious/social attitudes. Upon moving here I had 2 dogtags made at a local night market.

I also carry a laminated card in my wallet next to my insurance card with blood type, organ donation authority (I’m registered on my insurers database as wanting my organs harvested as well), and DNA on it along with my signature.

It is NOT recognized worldwide. Only some countries have laws recognizing it.

Thailand only fairly recently enacted such  legislation  and there are prescribed procedures to follow. A laminated card won't do it.

You need to execute an Advanced Directive (AKA living will) in accordance with Thai law and most importantly should execute a health care power of attorney and make sure the person who you name has copies of your Advance Directive and is prepared to advocate on your behalf.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PPMMUU said:

Yes, it does. The concept of palliative care (including no resuscitation order) is widely well understood (in the medical personnal, that is).

A written document is always a good idea though.

Yes it does my friend had on his medical record at hos and they adhered by it 

• Like 1

Please bear in mind that having a DNR instructions logged with your hospital, or having a DNR tattoo/bracelet, is not going to stop the first responders/rescue doing CPR (and possibly using an AED) on you if you collapse in a public area (street/shopping mall etc) or if you are involved in a serious accident and do not have a pulse when they arrive.

Sorry, but unfortunately Thai first responders/rescue are not aware of DNR means.

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

My elderly aunt was in a nursing home. She wanted to die... we had an agreement that she would not have to leave to go to the hospital under any circumstances... and yet, the nurse could not let that stand and in her dying day she was sent to the hospital... then I had to have a conversation w/a doctor who told me he could work miracles to save her life... and I had to have the guilt of telling him - let her go home and die... 

contracts/written agreements/ aren't always reality. 

I guess one of the problems is the Hippocratic Oath. As far as I know doctors make the oath to save lives. 

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've wondered this myself. Maybe better to tattoo on you "i have no money, you will not be paid if you resuscitate me, so don't, thank you"

I was thinking of getting a tattoo with my credit card info in case the people picking me up off the sidewalk borrowed my credit card.

I know of many Thais that elected to return home to die, more than I do of those that stayed in the hospital to the great inconvenience of whoever was looking after them.

Our neighbour, ambulance driver, knew what was likely to happen and died at home, I was there. We had a doctor coming by once a day to give pain killer. no big deal really.

By the way half the village turned out to at least get the roof on his new house so that he could experience that, he was able to help a little. This isn't a nanny state, no bureaucrat was deciding for him if he could go home or not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A tattoo is certainly of no use here. You can make a legally binding Advance Directive under Thai law. Note that many hospitals want it to be on their own form (though I think they could be legally held to any form that follows Thai law).

Indeed.
In my opinion the Advance Directive should better be Notarised and must have the prescribed number of witnesses.
This will avoid confusion in case, and thus not expose relatives to additional stress.

This may seem cynical, but it isn't meant that way.

Just tell the doctors that you won't pay.  In most countries they would still try, but here?

I can see the day when I will need to go, when it happens, I hope I can do it quietly at home with family, not with a bunch of tubes sticking out of me, among strangers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Following a serious lung infection in 2012 which was not responding to antibiotics ( except as an allergic response ) but did respond well to an alternative therapy, I drew up and placed a DNR request with the hospitals I visit, I check regularly that it is still on file.     

Secondly, when out I always carry a copy with me and include with that a list of medications that I am allergic to, for example antibiotics, high risk medications of any kind are in red type, the date of first bad response is also noted as well the kind of response to the medication.   Also alternative therapies that may be used ( having proved beneficial in the past (( and did also in this particular circumstance )).  With the alternative therapies the doctors would only permit once I was conscious.  A copy of this is also with the hospitals concerned.     Along with this are copies of my hospital numbers.

Thirdly I have the same documents in clear view in my house and at least one person is aware of this.

Finally - all such documents are with family in the UK.

About 4 years ago at my house I had a major stroke complicated by rhabdomyolysis and ARF.    The documents were shown to the ambulance crew and again to the doctors at the hospital, they crosschecked with the files on record and accepted my requests.

It sounds a lot of documents but folded up take little space and could aid the decision makers whether they be family, friends or the hospitals concerned.

All translated in to Thai? And kept at one or more Thai hospitals?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Is this really a problem? Oh, I died, but they zapped me by mistake and I survived. 

Yes this is a problem and your flippant response is not helpful.

If by being resuscitated means returning to life as normal, then indeed no problem. But life is rarely that simple. If I was resuscitated and the result was that my future life would be grossly inhibited, especially mentally, I would not want to know.

Being totally helpless would be abhorrent to me. Let me die.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

My elderly aunt was in a nursing home. She wanted to die... we had an agreement that she would not have to leave to go to the hospital under any circumstances... and yet, the nurse could not let that stand and in her dying day she was sent to the hospital... then I had to have a conversation w/a doctor who told me he could work miracles to save her life... and I had to have the guilt of telling him - let her go home and die... 

contracts/written agreements/ aren't always reality. 

I once worked as a Medic for a hospital based ACLS ambulance service. Within our service area we had 3 nursing homes, 2 assisted living centers, 1 privately owned retirement home for women and a state Veteran's home. Of those facilities, 2 of the 3 nursing homes always requested ambulance transport to the hospital for their terminally ill patients, no matter what the patients advanced directive or the family had requested. Having the resident die at the hospital meant they didn't have to report the death and kept their on site death rate statistics lower.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've wondered this myself. Maybe better to tattoo on you "i have no money, you will not be paid if you resuscitate me, so don't, thank you"

Should probably be translated to Thai and translation double-checked before tattooed in a couple vital places, eventually together with the English text, so the information would not be missed...????

Edited by khunPer

I had a friend here who had severe cirrhosis of the liver, causing ascites and internal bleeding, and I and his partner here on many occasions, sometimes in the early hours of the morning, took him to hospital and he was in ICU for many days at a time.

He also had internal bleeding elsewhere and the hospital had to use some very expensive medications on him for days at a time, and the cost was anywhere between 500,000 baht and 1.4 million baht.

I had long discussions with him and his doctor, and of course his partner, and the doctor warned him that he had to stop drinking, but he wouldn't and these events continued until one day the doctor called just me and his partner into the room, and we discussed that when he next came into hospital, that nature would take its course and he would be given just normal medications, and he noted that in the files.

That wasn't actually necessary because a couple of months later he died in an ambulance on the way to hospital.

One thing that came out of this was that the doctor was adamant that if the patient wasn't going to do anything to help himself, and also ease to the burden on his partner and me (his carer to all intents and purposes) then continually bringing him into hospital was wasting valuable time and resources – – quite a statement from a Thai doctor, but I respected him for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess one of the problems is the Hippocratic Oath. As far as I know doctors make the oath to save lives. 

I thought the oath was to do no harm??... I'll have to check that... and in the case of my aunt, they would not have been saving her life so much as prolonging her discomfort... she had made a specific request not to return to a hospital... I understand that it upset the night nurse to see her dying... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I once worked as a Medic for a hospital based ACLS ambulance service. Within our service area we had 3 nursing homes, 2 assisted living centers, 1 privately owned retirement home for women and a state Veteran's home. Of those facilities, 2 of the 3 nursing homes always requested ambulance transport to the hospital for their terminally ill patients, no matter what the patients advanced directive or the family had requested. Having the resident die at the hospital meant they didn't have to report the death and kept their on site death rate statistics lower.

my aunt was blind, crippled and frail... she was sent [at age 90] by the home to a hospital and the witch owner of the assisted living home, told her she could not come back which threw her into a total panic attack [she couldn't breathe] as she felt she was going to be thrown in the street... this was the last thing she needed and we got her back in w/a directive to let her die there... thanks for enlightening me as to the negative stat for the nursing home... 

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:
6 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

It is NOT recognized worldwide. Only some countries have laws recognizing it.

I think you'll find that DNA and it's science, which is what he posted, is, in fact, recognised worldwide.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

I think you'll find that DNA and it's science, which is what he posted, is, in fact, recognised worldwide.

Either the poster mistakenly used the acronym DNA when typing his post instead of DNR (DO NOT RESUSCITATE) or his ID tags do have the letters "DNA" stamped on them, which would be meaningless to medical providers trying to sustain his life.