What would happen to us foreigners if or when the country gets sealed up?

13 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

specifically mean what if our visas expire during the time that we are still in lock down?

I renew my one year extension every November.  

What type of visa are you here on?

• Like 2

I'm wondering this also. 

I and 2 friends have 30 day exempts. 

They are due back to the UK on the 27th.im due back later but I'm looking into getting a flight back earlier. 

But what if the UK goes into total lock down. How do the Thai authorities deal with us? 

• Like 1

Better start looking for prices air or sea freight just incase ,or  sharing a container for some expats with plenty to valuable to leave behind ?

As nothing predictable anymore as border runners already in problems because closed borders rapports already .

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, david555 said:

Even those with proper visas example 1 year ret ext . can not be sure in such case if the immigration high boss keep those extension's  running 

My extension is good till july 2021... hopefully this flu virus blows over by then.

I'm on non-o multi because I like to travel anyway. I'm considering putting 400K in the bank and getting an extension. I was waiting for the government to force my hand but it seems the virus will do it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

If you have a problem and you know the answer, you don't have a problem.

If you have a problem and you don't have the answer, worrying won't make any difference.

Wait it out and see what develops. My experiences of life indicate that things that we worry about are rarely as bad as we perceive them to be.

My hunch is...this situation will begin to improve in a month, or 6 weeks from now. This means those of us on non-Os better do a border run now while we still can so we can remain for another 90 days. That should see us through the worst of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I dont think any country will stop it's citizens going home the problem will be getting there flight are being cancelled left right and center.

Anybody who unsure what to do go and see our friendly immigration officers Im sure they are ready to help

I think you're correct there. If the country you are in as an alien decided to deport you then the country you're a citizen of would find it difficult to refuse you. Your home country might put you in quarantine by force if necessary. Frankly I'd rather be in quarantine in the UK if the alternative is a Thai detention centre. 

I was due to fly home last Sunday the 15th but I put it off which at least kept my wife happy. When in the UK I stay with my mother as my flat is rented out. Whilst my mother is in good health she will be 92 in May and I didn't want to take any risk. I have no symptoms and I'm probably reasonably safe here in Mahasarakham but travelling through Bangkok and the airport plus spending time on a plane is riskier. I'd have to stay elsewhere for a while after landing as well.

I'm on a 90 day visa and needed to leave on 28th March but I've got an extension until 27th May. After that who knows. I'd like to go back to the UK for a while. I've got a rescheduled flight with Gulf Air but that involves an overnight stay in Bahrain which doesn't seem possible now. I chose that over a stopover of about 10 hours.

I'm a little short of the income for a non imm o visa although I have enough to live as my wife has an income. I don't think you can mix income and lump sum in a bank account so i might have to borrow the 400,000k from elsewhere but then the problem is can I leave the country and come back in order to get the visa. Let's hope the Thai authorities display some common sense.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Some of us are also on non-Os because we run businesses or work in neighboring countries but have a Thai wife and/or can't or don't want to gather 400K to put in the bank.

Now assuming that this situation drags on for an indefinite period of time, with no flights running and all borders closed...then I may be looking at having to do the same thing.

Tourists can easily go home (if there are flights running) as there is nothing to tie them down here, but people like us have families here and can't just abandon them for uncertainty back home and possibly being separated for months, or longer.

I don't want to speculate because that just leads to more uncertainties...I personally think the Thai government will be forced to deal with this by granting temporary extensions...should practically all flights be cancelled and all borders closed.

That's a big if. It may not quite go that far.

Even if it does...they may quietly still allow border runs at Phu Nam Ron...whereby you pay them the money while your passport makes a journey across the border, with you waiting at the cafe next to Thai immigration.

That's the visa run company business i used many years  before I got ret.ext 

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I'm on non-o multi because I like to travel anyway. I'm considering putting 400K in the bank and getting an extension. I was waiting for the government to force my hand but it seems the virus will do it. 

You can extend your permission of stay of 60 days at any immigration office with a non -O- Multiple entry.

27 minutes ago, PST said:

You can extend any 90 day entry of a NON O ME at you local immigration office by 60 days, so would give you 2 more months to sort things out

What documents are required for this? I have a non-O ME based on thai spouse, so would my wife have to come with me?

Edited by stoicccc
  • Confused 1