cost of inserting an a/c unit

1FinickyOne

With no windows, I assume a part of the wall would have to be broken out to house the unit... and that is the approx cost I am concerned with... thanks all for responses...

I am not concerned with the a/c unit cost but the cost of inserting it in the wall... 

Edited by kenk24

Most places include installation with the price - they just mount the indoor unit onto the interior wall, drill a hole through for the pipe and wire and you'll need to pay for a mounting bracket for the external unit on the exterior wall. 

• Like 1

As above, the price for basic installation is usually included in the price or 2-3k. A basic install is using the supplied copper pipes (4-5 metres), connecting to power a couple of metres away, drainage to the outside unit, inside unit and outside on opposite sides of the same wall, outdoor unit placed on the ground.

If the units are further apart, electricity needs to be cabled in, drainage extended, wall mount required etc, then the costs will be more.

Often the electric cable can be the main additional expense as it needs to be a new run back the the main switchboard, a new separate breaker etc.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

OP, probably a good idea to stress that its a new installation when buying, not replacing an existing unit. 

Most installs are replacing an old unit, that is why the price is included or fixed. A new install they may want to quote so there are no surprises.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

To install an air-con in our area is 500 baht but that's a house, if you're 5 floors up, no idea. 

Thanks all... for some reason I thought there would be a lot of breaking going on but just a matter of drilling a bit...

and yes, I am a house... [sort of ] 

6 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Thanks all... for some reason I thought there would be a lot of breaking going on but just a matter of drilling a bit...

and yes, I am a house... [sort of ] 

No problem only couple of holes drilled in wall and they run wires for electrical connection, give you a remote and hey nice and cool. ????

• Thanks 1

About 12 years ago we had 4 air cons installed in Pattaya, we paid 2'500 Baht per unit. Two years later we had again 4 air cons installed in our newly built home in the deepest Isaan and paid the exact same price, So, 2'500 per unit seems to be the norm here.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:59 AM, Mama Noodle said:

Upgraded to a 28k BTU super inverter Mitsubishi aircon and we pull lower amperage in the heat of the day than the non-inverter, plus the room temperature stays at 23c/auto fan. 

เทศกาลตกปลาน้ำแข็งเกาหลี Korea Ice Fishing 2020

On 4/24/2020 at 9:38 AM, kenk24 said:

I have a room w/an exterior wall but no windows... how much will it cost to put in an a/c unit... 

In the village Isaan we paid 2,000 baht for each unit installed, plus 400 baht for each wall unit.

The most important part for me during the install was, were each unit was going to be placed, as we don't want the cool air on us when it is use, so take that into consideration and if you have good insulation as we do, turn it off after 30 minutes and let a fan take over, much cheaper in the long run and less wear and tear.

As other have said, the install is easy, they drill a hole in your wall to fit all the pipes etc etc through, make sure the guy has a level because if you use the same guy we did, he tried to get away with doing it with his eye, I was all over him with the level, stupid dumb f, and also tried using off cuts to cover the wires running along the wall, excuse was trying to save us money as the covers were extra.....lol, he didn't know my Mrs but soon found out how loud a voice she has if aggravated. 

In the end it all worked out and his services will never be used again, his loss, 7 air cons to be service here and replaced over time.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:59 AM, Mama Noodle said:

Just as an anecdotal note to the above - ive got an addition to my house that's 7 X 4m that had an 18k BTU non-inverter Mitsubishi aircon that would NOT keep up in the summer. Low roof, no insulation, and double sliding doors that faced the afternoon sun. Aircon would not get the room temp below 28c. 

Upgraded to a 28k BTU super inverter Mitsubishi aircon and we pull lower amperage in the heat of the day than the non-inverter, plus the room temperature stays at 23c/auto fan. 

Just because it is an inverter doesn't mean it will pull lower amperage all the time. You still need the cooling power of the compressor and a lot of electronics is not going to help. The advantage of an inverter is when the desired room temp is reached the electronics slows the compressor down and doesn't require as many amps at that point. It keeps room temp more even without the compressor cutting in and out.

So I can't see how a 28k BTU compressor would pull less amps than a smaller 18k BTU compressor when it is running at peak to cool the room down.

A lot of people think inverter Acs are magical devices and will create cooling energy from nothing. They are good but are more expensive to buy, have a LOT of electronics that can fail and if they do they are expensive to replace. Often cheaper to replace entire AC.

I am renting and did a deal with owner to put small AC in main living area. I know it was smaller than required to keep the room really cool on a hot day but better than nothing. The sales room trying hard to sell me an inverter model but just a waste money. Why a waste? Because more initial cost for the inverter model and because AC undersized it would run continuously and not take advantage of the inverter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Darkside Gray said:

Iv'e never thought about inserting a a/c unit, which orifice do yo intend to utilize?

Thats what he was worried about, creating a new orifice.

Personally I prefer to instal them.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:50 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

And if not included is about ฿2,000 ~ ฿2,500 (wall hangers included) for an outdoor unit within 4 metres of the inside unit

At the moment because of the lockdowns in every province you get up to 50% off for an air-con. So, there's no need to worry about the installation cost. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:38 AM, kenk24 said:

how much will it cost to put in an a/c unit...

If you don't have the aircon unit, then installation is normally included when buying one. However there's a limit of distance between outdoor unit and indoor unit, normally up to some 2-3 meters, if you need a longer range, you will be charged extra per meter. Outdoor position shall be accessabel without need of scaffold or other weird constructions, and electric power outlet/box within reasonable range. Normally a very easy installation with one reasonable "small" holes drilled in the wall to the indoor unit. There will be a small pipe on the outside wall for letting condensation water out.

If you are going to buy an aircon unit – and expect to use it a fair bit – you should consider investing in an inverter aircon, it might quickly recover the little higher price in less used electric units.

• Thanks 1

I paid 1,500 baht. to have mine fitted. Had to complain as he didn't fit a ground from the outside unit to the power board ! made him fit one ignoring his mia pen ria.

Edited by brianthainess
added content.
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 7:10 AM, kenk24 said:

With no windows, I assume a part of the wall would have to be broken out to house the unit... and that is the approx cost I am concerned with... thanks all for responses...

I am not concerned with the a/c unit cost but the cost of inserting it in the wall... 

on our new installation they only drilled a small hole for the pipes and wire to go through

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 7:10 AM, kenk24 said:

‘Breaking out’ would only consist of a smallish hole through the wall for mains power conduits, and condensation overflow pipe.

the units both internal and external either sit on or attach to the flat surfaces of ground based slab and or walls.

The fixings  for both units are simply concrete Dynabolt types; Predrilled hole, bolt inserted through the unit brackets and spanner/socket wrench tightened.

Cheap and easy to do in Thailand ????????

• Thanks 1

I just buy a mobile integrated 14000 btu air con at 8000 bath. No installations cost, just have to put the end of the 6 inch hot air flex tube outside the room.

It cool down a 12 sqm bedroom at the sunny side down to 23 gr celsius without problems.

I think it make to much noise because the inverter compressor/ventilator is integrated with the radiator/ventilator unit. 

But only for use some days a year, I think it is an alternative to a fixed installation. For a room, to use every day with air con, I will prefer an fixed air con. A fixed aircon with same output btu would cost around 15.000-16.000 bath with all installations, in a house, not at top of a skyscraper ????

5 minutes ago, finnsk said:

just have to put the end of the 6 inch hot air flex tube outside the room.

And where does the water go?  12sm is extremely small and suspect a 9,000 btu split unit would not have any issue keeping it cool