Pattaya's golden times are over: Bar and salon owner packing up as uncertain future looms

webfact

Pattaya's golden times are over: Bar and salon owner packing up as uncertain future looms

3pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Thai media went to Pattaya where they found Thongjan Seuppheng packing up her bar beer and salon business. 

The Surin native has been in Pattaya for 15 years and ran a hairdressing salon within sight of Walking Street for a dozen years. 

For four of those years she also ran a bar out of the same premises. 

All that is now over because of the coronavirus and all the restrictions - and lack of tourists - that has caused. 

Thongjan told Thai PBS that she used to rake in 40-50,000 baht a day during her 12 noon -12 midnight opening hours This was more than enough to cover the 100,000 baht monthly rent and salaries for around ten employees. 

Now the staff have gone back to their villages and Thongjan has loaded up a pick-up truck with her possessions. 

She is not sure what the future holds and can't just go back to her north eastern Thai province and set up there. There are no tourists there either. 

She must wait and see what to do next. 

But for her, like so many who formerly made their living in the resort, the Pattaya dream is over. 

The media reported that Pattaya is in lockdown after orders from local mayor Sontaya Khunpluem.

Source: 77kaoded

Earned 40-50k per day! the woman should have a few millions in the bank, one would expect. 

Nightlife have to think new and fresh, a total overhaul of their business model, without 300-500 baht bar off fee added on.

Bar fee 500 baht, no sympathy from me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Susco said:

And she still couldn't save a little to overcome a 1 - 2 month lockdown?

I always watch spending habits of acquaintances.

People who don't try to assemble significant savings even when they have good revenue are a trainwreck waiting to happen.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JAG said:

She is not saying that she is skint is she? She has decided to close her business. However profitable it may have been, it won't be now, nor for the foreseeable future. So she has closed it.

I did not say she was skint,I said she should have enough money to see her out. I know I could live quite happily on that sort of money. 
There will be lots of business closing down,she was lucky to have been in a very profitable business. She probably made the right decision,things will take years to get back to any sort of normality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

She is not saying that she is skint is she? She has decided to close her business. However profitable it may have been, it won't be now, nor for the foreseeable future. So she has closed it.

Tend to agree, will be no shortage of premises available at lower rataes in the future.

• Like 1