Angering China, Australia suspends extradition treaty with Hong Kong, extends visas

snoop1130

Just now, Srikcir said:

Yes!

Stop thinking and get those US military bases. China understands military threat of encirclement.

Philippines is already doing this on Thitu Island in the South China Sea to allow US navy a port and runway access.  

China is already completly surrounded by American bases, have a look at John Pilgers doco. The Coming War on China, can see on you tub

I think one needs to respond on a econimic/buying level and also invest in technologie to combat the power of China. Regardless of what we think, it is China that is now becoming the leading superpower/economic power in the world. we do need to stand up to bullies 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My father had an adage: "Never do your enemy a small hurt" meaning basically don't bother with silly symbolic gestures which annoy the other party, if you want to have a fight do something worthwhile. 

This is a stupid symbolic move affecting how many (100?) criminals. Extradition treaties were signed in days when countries had respect for other party's law codes. Arrogant Western countries now think only their law codes are worth anything.

Australia should have done something worthwhile if its wanted to pick a fight....this is senseless provocation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

China is already completly surrounded by American bases, have a look at John Pilgers doco. The Coming War on China, can see on you tub

I think one needs to respond on a econimic/buying level and also invest in technologie to combat the power of China. Regardless of what we think, it is China that is now becoming the leading superpower/economic power in the world. we do need to stand up to bullies 

Oz recently announced increased defence spending of $270 billion for missiles, better over the horizon radar etc; positioning the spend as countering China's increased military capability. You could assume it's a political gesture to keep the US onside.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

They have been talking for 30 years about importing skilled migrants. My point is that if our universities are good enough to train students from overseas, they should be able to train the locals. If there were no overseas students the universities would not be able to charge as much as they do, making them more accessible to local talent.

I am glad I completed mine in the 1970's when the costs were minimal because I am sure my parents could not afford to pay now.

Precisely my point.  They know that they can train local students but no money.  They also know that in this day and age that even if they train locals there will be no jobs for them because anyone who has ever tried to find a job in Australia knows how rapidly the job market is shrinking.  Possibly due to mechanization and computers.

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Added to the Chinese control of that Port is the Western Australian airport they upgraded to international aircraft capacity

Australia has allowed the Chinese to have quite a significant  footprint  while "negotiating " with the the US establish a more significant military capacity .

The political game is confusing ! But so is a sport played on a circular field. lol

Oh, you don't mean aerial ping pong, do you?

11 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Indeed, may be you can get the CCP to respect the citizens of Hong Kong and their wishes. And while you're at it, also respect that Taiwan is an independent country.

Australia, UK and USA should respect that Hong Kong and Taiwan are China domestic issues. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, samran said:

China has no issue with trying to influence other countries domestic issues. You really need to stop being so precious. 

Economic influences are between 2 consenting countries not political interferences in these cases that are arbitrarily initiated bilaterally. You do know the difference or do you. 

• Haha 1

Posts containing content that was copy and pasted from other sites without a supporting link have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Some posting using trolling images have been removed.

This is the correct stance from the Aussies and I commend them.

Unfortunately due to years of poor decisions by Australian governments they are very vulnerable and China could quite easily kneecap them economically.

I would suggest they sign a post Brexit free trade deal with the UK ASAP, we will be happy to help them out after China leaves them in the lurch.

Edited by JonnyF

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This is the correct stance from the Aussies and I commend them.

Unfortunately due to years of poor decisions by Australian governments they are very vulnerable and China could quite easily kneecap them economically.

I would suggest they sign a post Brexit free trade deal with the UK ASAP, we will be happy to help them out after China leaves them in the lurch.

Unfortunately Australia has been blinded by the rivers of dosh coming out of China and have now realised that they price they were paying was higher than expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Like it or not, Taiwan is an independent country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan

image.png.702de51dc3dffd6214110e67affc96a9.png

Independence can only be decided by the Taiwanese people themselves. The island is torn between 2 sides of pro independence and “one-China“ principle factions. It has to be done through referendum. You don’t have a vote. 

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Independence can only be decided by the Taiwanese people themselves. The island is torn between 2 sides of pro independence and “one-China“ principle factions. It has to be done through referendum. You don’t have a vote. 

Do you?

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

You worded that incorrectly. Taiwan is already an independent country, they do not need to decide for independence. They could of course decide to join CCP China, that is up to them. Quite unlikely though.

Now let‘s apply your proposal also to Hong Kong, and let the people of Hong Kong decide about their independence!

• Like 2

Two-way trade between the countries was worth A$235 billion last year.

So smart move then by Australia. And for what, the illusion that Australia matters on a global scale? It has a population of 25 million. That's two Belgiums. Why not take the billions and shut the hell up?

I don't see the point in this. It's not like Australia can stand up to Ukraine, let alone China. Stupid move Oz.

• Haha 2

Knock China out of the game now and stop fooling about.

Sink there ships now before they build more. Destroy the aircraft and above all take out the leaders of this virus on humanity. No mercy.

Well that is what I think and not afraid to say it. 

Give us a hand here US, you know you want to.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 7:37 AM, simple1 said:

Australia has skills shortages A component for successful application will be to match up with identified skills shortages within Australia.  Also Australia requires foreign investment funds, it will interesting to see if PRC will permit H.K. citizens transfer of funds by those seeking residency and opportunity in Oz. 

Whenever I read about a "skills shortage" it usually means a lack of people willing to work for what the employers want to pay them.  Which, of course, is a great excuse to import low wage talent.  Here's an experiment.  Offer a million AUD a year for a position.  Any position.  Then see if you don't have local people clamoring to get into Uni to learn that skill. 

Of course, the prospect of getting $200K into student debt to get a degree in a skillset that offers a $50K salary leaves a "skills shortage".  And if corporations couldn't fill it with cheap, imported employees, they'd have to offer a more attractive salary to entice the locals.

Edited by impulse

On 7/9/2020 at 11:55 AM, snoop1130 said:

Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said Morrison's government should change course and stop interfering in Chinese affairs

These cpc mouthpieces always spout this garbage. Just wish they would take your own advice and get their dirty paws out of EVERYWHERE! The UK had the same spiel last week after Boris basically invited all of HK over.

Best way to stick it to the cpc is to read the packet and not buy anything made in China. The ONLY reason they are as relatively rich as they are now is through western companies setting up there and normal people buying things cheaper.

1 minute ago, daveAustin said:

These cpc mouthpieces always spout this garbage. Just wish they would take your own advice and get their dirty paws out of EVERYWHERE! The UK had the same spiel last week after Boris basically invited all of HK over.

Best way to stick it to the cpc is to read the packet and not buy anything made in China. The ONLY reason they are as relatively rich as they are now is through western companies setting up there and normal people buying things cheaper.

Easy to say I live in OZ and I go to Bunnings very often but every thing they sell

is made in China apart from paint which is made in OZ.

• Like 1

Every body in Australia says we need China for our export (wrong) China needs Australia

more than we need them, stop importing cheap cars from China stop them from buying

our land and houses stop importing and selling anything from China

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1