Thai Massage Loses Its Charm Behind Masks, Social Distancing

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Walk into a massage parlor in Thailand and a familiar clasped-hands “wai” greeting will welcome you as a hint of jasmine lingers in the air. Less appealing is the smell of disinfectant and the squeaky sound of latex gloves.

Ahhh yes Jasmine, brings back memories... she was so nice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem is mainly lack of tourists, as an expat i have a massage every week or two, when i was a tourist i had 2 hours everyday, many expats don't bother with massages any more

I agree. Much like swimming in the polluted waters and having a live-in companion. It's there, but do I really need it to be happy?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem is mainly lack of tourists, as an expat i have a massage every week or two, when i was a tourist i had 2 hours everyday, many expats don't bother with massages any more

True, I'm married now! Lol

The people working in Thai Massage do not make a lot of money, and deliver a lot of well-being for the 150 B or so that guests are charged.

The article is one of few articles that slipped through Bloomberg's editor team.

I have been to many a massage, and in 90 percent of the places staff are wearing some kind of Uniform / coordinated clothing. 
However, to present an article about Thai Massage and use the picture below as an illustration of the business, signals to me that the writer is not talking about what most people here would call "Thai Massage", but rather about "Massage-by-staff-that-look-like-Thai"

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 09.56.05.png

I would go weekly-get an hour-ask for same lady-they would call her to come in...

Put on my headphones and zone out and let her work--dont think she even knew english

Was always a hello and kop khun krup and a 50 bt tip...same same but different

• Like 1

We know this saying of some politicians: Covid is just like a flu. And after following covid developments for months, I'm convinced they're right - provided those affected do not suffer from excessive body fat - or possibly even lifestyle diseases due to it, like diabetes or high blood pressure. 

I've read that bodyfat excess prevents the immune system from working properly, in a sense that its agents are being 'prevented to really get there fast to join the action' (or something in that sense). Another aspect was that while eating 'traditionally', we inflict more constant damage on the body's cells than most of us are aware of - and thereby, we keep the immune system busy trying to repair the cells affected, while its full capacity would be needed to fight off an aggression like covid (or flu, for that matter).

How do we avoid excessive body fat - in the first place, or reduce it to a healthy level once it's there? Simple: Eat the right diet, and do sufficient sport. The internet told me that a low-carb diet will probably be effective, and my personal experience shows that this is true. That we should do sports five times a week, half an hour each, is probably known - swimming is useful, if you swim with an effort (thus have a raised heartbeat, pulse and breath frequency).

If you now ask yourself if all these important covid-related measures that leaders are taking, and on a global basis, are headed in the wrong direction (because they fail to address the true cause), not to mention the untold damage they keep on inflicting on the economy, then there is some evidence that you are right. But due to the classic ignorance of those in power, plus herd effects (and it's not 'herd immunity'), and undue economic considerations (like protecting McDo & co), it is hard to imagine that we will begin to see the light anytime soon. Stock up on masks, and keep your TV in good working order (or what else you spend your homeoffice time with). 

PS: Ironically, some of the 'flu' political protagonistas (Trump or Bolsonaro come to mind) are not exactly delgado themselves...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, visacrack said:

I've read that bodyfat excess prevents the immune system from working properly, in a sense that its agents are being 'prevented to really get there fast to join the action' (or something in that sense).

strange... I had the impression that the Immune system instead goes into Overdrive - with the signs from the huge inflammation and fluid flooding

4 hours ago, mberbae said:

We should all patronize our local massage shop. These ladies have

been out of work for a long time.

My fortnightly Monday one will be ok , she only missed once at the first c 19 panic attack. With this rain and damp setting in , roll on 1pm.

37 minutes ago, visacrack said:

We know this saying of some politicians: Covid is just like a flu. And after following covid developments for months, I'm convinced they're right - provided those affected do not suffer from excessive body fat - or possibly even lifestyle diseases due to it, like diabetes or high blood pressure. 

I've read that bodyfat excess prevents the immune system from working properly, in a sense that its agents are being 'prevented to really get there fast to join the action' (or something in that sense). Another aspect was that while eating 'traditionally', we inflict more constant damage on the body's cells than most of us are aware of - and thereby, we keep the immune system busy trying to repair the cells affected, while its full capacity would be needed to fight off an aggression like covid (or flu, for that matter).

How do we avoid excessive body fat - in the first place, or reduce it to a healthy level once it's there? Simple: Eat the right diet, and do sufficient sport. The internet told me that a low-carb diet will probably be effective, and my personal experience shows that this is true. That we should do sports five times a week, half an hour each, is probably known - swimming is useful, if you swim with an effort (thus have a raised heartbeat, pulse and breath frequency).

If you now ask yourself if all these important covid-related measures that leaders are taking, and on a global basis, are headed in the wrong direction (because they fail to address the true cause), not to mention the untold damage they keep on inflicting on the economy, then there is some evidence that you are right. But due to the classic ignorance of those in power, plus herd effects (and it's not 'herd immunity'), and undue economic considerations (like protecting McDo & co), it is hard to imagine that we will begin to see the light anytime soon. Stock up on masks, and keep your TV in good working order (or what else you spend your homeoffice time with). 

PS: Ironically, some of the 'flu' political protagonistas (Trump or Bolsonaro come to mind) are not exactly delgado themselves...

Oh dear . At 73 years old I am supposed to do sports 5 times a week , oh and look Trump has appeared again in this ' Thai massage loses its charm '.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Speak for yourself, I had one with my gf (expat too) just yesterday. 

The ladies were not wearing masks though. Not that i worried. 

• Sad 1