SURVEY: Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?   

592 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

The more Thai language you learn the worse it gets

I rarely came across that when I lived in Isaan but often in Pattaya. When I asked why on a few occasions I got the same answer. "Falang speak Thai know too much" Not a good "target" 

Mind you when I first moved to Isaan and whilst on the songteaew I often heard older females say "Falang men" Falang stink! My lovely Thai neighbours made me put an end to that in my best coloqual Thai. All fine thereafter and friendly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm....Xenophobic comes to mind. To describe foreigners in your legislation as “aliens” sums it up really. Your money is welcome but you are not.

Did it ever occur to you that the English translation for Thai's would appear normal, whereas to us the word Alien or Farang might be offensive, personally I don't think it is meant to be translated in an offensive way, let's face it English to Thais is not something that is taught well at school and if it is, it is usually by some teacher who doesn't know the language well.

My wife's two teenage son's talk to me in English, I encourage it in the house, and some of the words they come up with are so ancient I haven't heard of them since I was a kid, go figure.

As for a particular government minister (A-Nut-in), well yes we can say he is Xenophobic as he has let his tongue slip in public, only later to say it was all a misunderstanding so as not to lose face.

• Haha 1

Yes, I believe that Thailand is less tolerant of "foreigners", but in a manner which is beneficial to the country itself as well as to the many honest and decent non Thais living in this beautiful country. It is only right for the Thai authorities  to insist on exercising the laws strictly to make sure that only decent and honest, law-abiding non Thais are allowed in, and encouraged to live here. I do know that some regulations are burdensome on some decent non Thais and I hope that some of such non-essential regulations will be corrected.

Just now, abrahamzvi said:

Yes, I believe that Thailand is less tolerant of "foreigners", but in a manner which is beneficial to the country itself as well as to the many honest and decent non Thais living in this beautiful country. It is only right for the Thai authorities  to insist on exercising the laws strictly to make sure that only decent and honest, law-abiding non Thais are allowed in, and encouraged to live here. I do know that some regulations are burdensome on some decent non Thais and I hope that some of such non-essential regulations will be corrected.

Sure, they don't want criminals, but the Thai authorities are not looking benevolently on the self styled 'good falangs' and saying, ah yes, that is exactly the type of 'good falang' who has learned the language and integrated that we welcome (as some on here think). I think they would prefer people who stay in farang ghettos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Australia is also a racist country. US obviously is, dont know about canada.

Yes, its not good here but the whole world has racism in various ways. Most Aussie are very welcoming except some insecure p..s