500K for 14 days?! Luxury hotels for well heeled Thais and foreigners announced for "alternative quarantine"

webfact

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

????5* in Thailand you have to be joking Who in there right mind would spend a ridiculous amount of money to be locked in your room. No doubt the news in the coming days is that all these hotels/resorts are now fully booked with millionaires ????????????????????????????

The ones who miss their families here in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Price includes 3 meals a day, internet ect and in many cases Covid testing. Many are priced 50 to 70k for 14 nights......what would you expect to pay for 14 nights full board?

The packages are actually for 15 nights

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

What is the difference between a 50k hotel and 150k hotel if you can only stay in your room? Hopefully you can at least choose different restaurant food not pad thai and fried rice every day.

The menus are set, different food every day with a number of options. If you want to order a la carte, you have to pay extra. 

The main issue I have with this solution is that it’s quite complicated to book the entire thing, i.e. flight, accommodation and visa. 

I work from home a lot now anyway, I can see myself working from a BKK hotel room for two weeks. And the cost of the ASQ hotel is just like a tourist tax on my trip. After the quarantine I can stay for another 4-6 weeks in Thailand, maybe choosing a few cheaper options along the way to compensate for the ASQ stay. Well, unless I get diagnosed with COVID-19 that is...

Elephant in the room: Hotel staff are not trained in quarantine safety protocols. Any rushed training will be insufficient. 

Prediction: Tourist will pass it to Thai staff who isn’t in quarantine and an outbreak will ensue.

Before anyone mentions it, I understand they might sort of staff it with people who are trained. But the people who are not will be the ones who make he mistake.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExpatOne said:

Elephant in the room: Hotel staff are not trained in quarantine safety protocols. Any rushed training will be insufficient. 

Prediction: Tourist will pass it to Thai staff who isn’t in quarantine and an outbreak will ensue.

Before anyone mentions it, I understand they might sort of staff it with people who are trained. But the people who are not will be the ones who make he mistake.

I agree, training will be rushed, but I think Thais are generally doing well in terms of masking up, washing hands etc. At first, I assumed that Thailand was underreporting cases or covering it up, but I don't see how they could cover it up on social media - if there were significant numbers of cases in Thailand, Thais would soon be positing online, like Facebook and Line, so, it might be that wearing masks and social distancing is enough to prevent an outbreak. Maybe. 
By way of comparison, the US (with 155,000+ deaths) is only now starting to get serious about masks and stuff. I watch CNN everyday and just the other day Fauci was saying that 'Maybe hand washing might help' - this is basic stuff that Thailand and other countries figured out back in February. The US is very far behind in terms of understanding. 

5 hours ago, whiteman said:

daylight robbery also it does not list what also you get for the money eg  food internet room service stuff like that I suppose when you got there they will put theses add on to your bill  Oh I forgot the 7%+    ++  ++ tax

I had to research some of these packages for some friends who were caught out by the border shutdown and they are full room and board, medical monitoring by the respective partner hospitals, and two government mandated Covid-19 tests in the middle and end of the quarantine. I believe the initial one-way airport transfer is included as well. As mentioned, most of the packages are in the 50k range, with some as low as 35k.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ExpatOne said:

You mean like in Australia........

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/poorly-trained-security-guards-at-hotel-quarantine-blamed-for-covid19-outbreak/news-story/276a9943237517d261e2cd1bb08a0ad0

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It is my understanding that alternative state quarantine is mandatory for returning non-Thai nationals. The article reads as if they have the option to choose free state quarantine.

Correct, state option is only for Thais. But Thais can chose ASQ if they want and don't mind paying for it.

14 days in complete isolation can be a pretty long time.

• Like 1

A number of people are asking who will pay these prices.  I guess anyone who flies Business or First would not bat an eyelid at these prices.  Indeed some of those people may only be willing to consider booking at the top end of this list in any situation.  Remember there are a lot of rich farangs who like Thailand   I have a number of friends who are very well off but fly economy as they think the additional cost of Business is not worth it; but if this is what they have to pay to get back they will just get the credit card out.   Surprise surprise those who can afford to pay extra to get back will be at the front of the queue.  The one good point is that if these hotels can make significant profits they will obviously want to expand there capacity in this higher end sector.  Keep in mind just how many top end hotels are closed and not making profits for their owners.  Those hotel groups are probably in a much better position to put pressure on the right people to get more repatriation flights flying and increase the groups of people who can enter Thailand and therefore make more money from.  Don't knock it it is just business and it might get things moving faster for the rest of us who are prepared to put up with the quarantine.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, david555 said:

This gov. Final target ....assisted by C19.....The Rich only

Start planning to pack in a certain time... maybe in 1 or few ..but sure in years to come for sure

from the listed prices on the OP, the average  baht per night stay is hardly numbers for the rich only.

Or did you not read past the click bait thread title ?

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

from the listed prices on the OP, the average  baht per night stay is hardly numbers for the rich only.

Or did you not read past the click bait thread title ?

Depending from which amount you call rich ....must be very high for you ...congrats ...????  No need to plan  pack then ????

Some caribbian islands more worth to go ...for quality

Edited by david555

Can’t believe what I’ve just been reading ...... 2 weeks ago was reading on the forum that upon my return would have to show a certificate that I’m virus free signed by my local doctor before travel ! Price list regards quarantine hotels is nothing short of criminal. Conrad 137,000 baht 16 days and a hotel i’ve stayed at myself, being the salil hotel on sukhamvit road ‘ cost myself 1,200 baht per night and that was just over a year ago and now they want 65,000 baht for 16 day stay ???? Good luck with that one ???????? Luckily I’m not effected as have property in ubon - besides that why would I self isolate when I’m virus free,. Had enough of isolation like most people began in March whilst in Thailand and it’s still in place today here in the u.k ... making international travel plans at the moment are impossible as many countries have restrictions in place. Add to that a world recession and you’ll quickly realize the worlds in crisis ... thailand becoming the new rip off Britain - stay safe people ???? 

5 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

Can’t believe what I’ve just been reading ...... 2 weeks ago was reading on the forum that upon my return would have to show a certificate that I’m virus free signed by my local doctor before travel ! Price list regards quarantine hotels is nothing short of criminal. Conrad 137,000 baht 16 days and a hotel i’ve stayed at myself, being the salil hotel on sukhamvit road ‘ cost myself 1,200 baht per night and that was just over a year ago and now they want 65,000 baht for 16 day stay ???? Good luck with that one ???????? Luckily I’m not effected as have property in ubon - besides that why would I self isolate when I’m virus free,. Had enough of isolation like most people began in March whilst in Thailand and it’s still in place today here in the u.k ... making international travel plans at the moment are impossible as many countries have restrictions in place. Add to that a world recession and you’ll quickly realize the worlds in crisis ... thailand becoming the new rip off Britain - stay safe people ???? 

Like i wrote ...the Thai gov. "Dream plan " ???? eating rich out C19

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whiteman said:

daylight robbery also it does not list what also you get for the money eg  food internet room service stuff like that I suppose when you got there they will put theses add on to your bill  Oh I forgot the 7%+    ++  ++ tax

Good point about the 10+7% add on. I think the room service is compulsory.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are very consistent protocols in place at all the ASQ hotels (and hotels have to meet pretty demanding criteria to get approved as ASQ).

Zero interaction between hotel staff and guests. Usually no room cleaning at all for the first few days, then after initial test comes back negative they arrange for you to go somewhere else, segregated from all other guests, for the 12/ - 1 hour it takers for the staff to enter and clean the room.

Room service is left on a table outside your room.  If you request anything to be bought, you leave the money out there.

You literally never see much less touch or talk face to face with any of the staff. Communications only by phone or via LINE app.

It is pretty serious isolation.

......   Me! 

so you are paying to stay in prison, my mrs, associated family and thailand  in general  isnt worth it...... can i ship the dogs out to Uk ?

The usual whingers and complainers swarmed the thread. What part of  OPTIONAL did people not comprehend?  These are typically all inclusive packages and include room service  meals since guests are not allowed out of their rooms.

The rates are consistent with what the hotels usually charge. Considering the additional costs assumed by the hotels for cleaning and extra service, the  rates are reasonable.  It is quite obvious that some people do not use higher end hotels, otherwise they would see the costs for what they are: Realistic.

When I overnight at the Bangkok Airirport Novotel it costs me 6000 baht+ per night. As an Accor member I get the  breakfast included. 14 nights at the lacklustre hotel are 62,400 baht. Comparable to the quarantine rates.

No one is forcing you to use the hotels. They are for people who are used to staying at nice hotels.