Actress 'Amy' handed 33-year jail sentence for drug trafficking

rooster59

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

33 years in jail and a fine totalling 666,666.67 baht what a nuthouse this is ????

Well, when I see people in the US  being sent to prison for five consecutive life sentence ( 2 would already be a miracle) or some other for a total of 300 plus years...I do have the same reaction...I am not an American citizen though,  so maybe I cannot grasp the concept

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

"There is no record of her returning to Thailand.”

Who wants to come to Thailand and spend 2 weeks in quarantine?! ????

Let alone 33 years.

But it's actually quite a good deal when you look at it: Some hotels here charge up to $3,000 for 14 days forced quarantine. On the other hand 33 years (=1,716 weeks) are going to cost Amy the trifle amount of just 666,666.67 baht ($22,000). That calculates to about 389 baht per week. All inclusive. A steal, really. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Let alone 33 years.

But it's actually quite a good deal when you look at it: Some hotels here charge up to $3,000 for 14 days forced quarantine. On the other hand 33 years (=1,716 weeks) are going to cost Amy the trifle amount of just 666,666.67 baht ($22,000). That calculates to about 389 baht per week. All inclusive. A steal, really. 

Yes your calculation is convincing. But I am afraid to be able to enjoy the second cheaper offer she will have to go through the quarantine first. ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not really,

Most poor Thais have lives so bad that being in jail isn't much worse than normal living for them. 

How many Thais live 50 to a room with minimal bedding and facilities with no access to the outside World  , and eat rich and fish head soup twice a day ?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Excessive, but a flipping good deterrent, wouldn't you say? 

How can it be a deterrent if many of the convicted, at least those with passports and enough money to leave the country, never see the inside of a prison? 

3 hours ago, Oldie said:

Yes your calculation is convincing. But I am afraid to be able to enjoy the second cheaper offer she will have to go through the quarantine first. ????

You mean 14 days PLUS 33 years? Wow! That really is too much to handle.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Oldie said:

"There is no record of her returning to Thailand.”

Who wants to come to Thailand and spend 2 weeks in quarantine?! ????

Yes, plus health insurance plus 5-star hotel but on positive side transportation will be free to jail.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Excessive, but a flipping good deterrent, wouldn't you say? 

Actually every single country in the world even those with the death penalty the research unequivocally shows that large prison sentences, canings (Singapore) and the death penalty does not serve as a deterrent, as all countries in the world have overcrowded prisons with those dealing or taking drugs.

So the answer simply is no.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, rooster59 said:

However, on Thursday the court found her guilty of possessing drugs for sale, and amended her sentence to 33 years and four months and Bt666,666 fine. The court issued a warant for her arrest. Her offence has a statute of limitations of 30 years.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that Amelia had fled the country via Suvarnabhumi Airport on August 22, 2019 on flight EK 0385 heading to Dubai,” said Krisana. “The immigration officials did not detain her since at the time no arrest warrant had been issued. There is no record of her returning to Thailand.”

<laughs>  ????  Maybe she can shack up with the boss.

She has been sentenced to life in prison and a one million baht fine. This has been reduced to 33 years in jail and a fine totalling 666,666.67 baht for her earlier useful testimony.

I nearly fell off my hammock laughing at this ????????????.... especially the last sentence... for her earlier useful testimony!????????????!