I've seen the grim reality of Thailand without tourists – and it isn't pretty

webfact

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Two lights at the end of the tunnel.....a very effective vaccine and a weakening baht.....otherwise "we are all doomed".

Two lights at the end of the tunnel.....a very effective vaccine and a weakening baht less diluting of foreign currency value by printing money .....otherwise "we are all doomed".

I have corrected it for you

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

At last some Facts, not Click Bait. So very true.We are all sorry, but Car Factories, Mines even Towns close wordwide. Its just re structure time here thanks to their Chinese Chums.

Again , agreed.

OK let's look at Tourism in Thailand from the perspective of the Steel Industry in the UK. In1967 there were 350,000 people employed in the UK steel industry. 80,000 in Sheffield, 150,00 in the Don Valley. Of that 80,000 in Sheffield, there were another 80,000 in support (sandwich shops, banks built on the premises of steel works, public transport network etc).

In 2016 there were a total of 30,000 working in the UK steel industry and only 8000 in the whole of Yorkshire and Humberside.

Yes, it had a devastating effect, but times change and people move on. After 13 years qualifying and working as a Metallurgist I re-trained. And then 5 years later re-trained again. Then entered the Financial services industry where I worked for the largest insurance company in the UK with a field staff of 20,000. Over a period of 10 years that was reduced to zero.

I believe but have no experience to relate to, that the UK fishing industry met a similar fate.

• Confused 3

In Chiang Mai a great many restaurants are open. Many of the old names, Kiat Ocha, Mitmai, The Swan, Garibaldi, KS Islam, Tong Tem Toh, Khun Mor Cuisine, Lum Lum, they are all open.

This idiot saw his hotel restaurant as closed and thinks all restaurants are. A few have closed that depended mostly on tourists and hotel restaurants obviously are still closed. But otherwise many of the standard Chiang Mai restaurants are very much open. They're actually opening new food places in Central.

This guy is ill informed.

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully such articles and similar attesting to the importance of tourists dollars to this country economy are also published in the local language for the locals to read and see how important foreigners and tourists are