If you had to leave the Land of Smiles, what would you miss?

Thailand Explore

Not sure I'd miss anything. Family I'd take with me, with the exception of MIL who'd stay. I'd probably miss her from time to time. Anything else, available elsewhere. I've been on my way out since a few years already.

Edited by DrTuner

-The old lady down the road that sells fried bananas, best around.  Always puts a bit extra in the bag for regulars with a smile. 
-Cheaper electric bills than any other place I have lived.  Japan and Singapore over 700 USD per month, Hawaii 500 per month. Here 2500 baht

-elders in the village. Always want to lend a hand and bringing a laugh over the evening beer. 

55 minutes ago, remobb said:

XXL shirts that fit skinny people.

Yes that is a bitch.  The GF looked at my clothes in the closet, saw the shirts were 2XL, went out and bought me 5 nice polo shirts.  Came back and surprised me. Waited as I tried the first one on at which time she proudly proclaimed "Your pompuey",  I laughed and went to my closet and held up one of my shirts and one she had bought, and she started to cry.  Told her not to worry we could give them to my Son when he visits on Holiday.  Then Covid hit.  Going to collect dust sitting in the closet, or if the doctor gets his wish and I drop to 80kg from 98 then maybe they might fit, but not in the shoulders I am afraid.

The warm weather for these old bones for a start.

Living in a non nanny state.

Company I keep does not take life too seriously.

& yes, the smiles, almost non existant in the so called first world.

Cost of living to live modestly is half.

My darling, (as she will not come with me)

• Like 2

Retired and moved here 29 + years ago, seen it change so much over those years that I could leave the next day and not have any regrets.  Oh forgot health care is good and cheap here, and with my insurance I go to only the Best hospitals, I would miss that.

• Like 1

Apart from the obvious, family, friends, food, weather, the abbot and monks at our local temple, I'd miss the space.  A 36 rai farm here, then there's the generous petrol station forecourts with their plethora of places to eat and public toilets that can accommodate a bus load of visitors at a time and, a pet favourite of mine, frontage roads - what a great idea.   

Positives and negatives everywhere. 

The list of things which are better in Thailand is huge, the list of things which are better in the UK is also huge. 

I’m perfectly happy living in either place but have lately started to develop a preference towards living in the UK - perhaps because I think its better for my son. 

Where ever I am (beautiful quiet UK Countryside or Bangkok hustle) there is something to be missed on the other side of the fence - its not really comparing apples to apples. 

I have lived in London and didn’t like it, yet I like it in Bangkok. I have never lived in the depths of the Thai countryside as I know I’d hate it, but I love living in the countryside in the UK.

A wealth of good friends in both locations also bridges the geographical dichotomy.

• Thanks 1

Well, I already planned to leave and know what I would miss. The easy smiles you get from people when you smile at them, the general kindness and gentleness of daily life, the fact that I never felt that I would be mugged anywhere I have been in LOS (cheated yes, maybe surreptitiously robbed or conned, but never felt the fear of casual violence that there is in the west). Not having to listen to people yelling in daily life, lots of the food, the way food is always offered when you visit someone, the way Thai people like to joke. It's a shame that the negatives have pushed me out. But yes, many things I would miss. I'm sure I left out things.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

As I am currently stuck in the UK, I miss my wife and child.

Not much else. If they were here in the UK, I'd be ok with not returning

Ouch.... heartbreaking...   I was in the same situation (managed to get back to BKK a month ago). 

While in the UK I realised I didn’t really miss Thailand, I missed my Wife & Son - if they were with me in the UK, then I’d perhaps start missing other facets of Thailand but those facets are ‘decoration’...  

....swap beaches for mountains, swap Japanese restaurant for outdoor BBQ’s, swap swimming in the mooban pool for bicycle rides along countryside paths, swap street food for quality organic veg, swap weekend visits to HH for a weekend camping, swap chaotic traffic for crappy potholed country roads!, swap Lazada for Amazon, swap bi-weekly football for making a Westfield in my garage), swap getting too hot riding a motorcycle for getting too cold, swap speeding for 500 baht for ouch, £100 and 3 points, swap getting home safely without issues for chancing your luck with a drunk taxi driver and other drunks on the road, swap dangerous driver for selfrighteous drivers with road rage.... and on and on and on...  

Its not really better in Thailand - anywhere is what you make of it and ultimately, what you make of it depends on your frame of mind - my mind is better when I’m not prevented contact from those I care about. 

I sincerely hope you manage to get back to your family as soon as possible (RC). 

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We really need a ‘satire’ or ‘sarcasm’ emoticon......  No one seems to have understood the ‘stone faced dryness’ of this response.... 

which one is the honest or truthful one? ????